Old 08-18-2014   #1
Breckenridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Gore Accident - Beth McVay

There was a death in Gore Canyon yesterday. The family has been notified and has arrived in Colorado. Arrangements are being made and, if the family allows, will be made public for those who wish to attend. Thank you for being respectful to family and friends while grieving.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

jenloisphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014   #2
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I really don't want to be the bearer of this news or the details, but it seems there are big discrepancies.

What I know with certainty is that Beth McVay died from a fall from a cliff river left in the vicinity of Pyrite rapid below gore. I was not in Gore Canyon at all this weekend. My "facts" are from a reliable party that floated in later than her party and saw her walking out of the canyon.

Gore was at the upper end of what Beth was comfortable paddling, but she had done it many times, frequently walking Gore rapid. She apparently had difficulties above Gore rapid and hiked partway out.

Instead of heading the rest of the way out she paddled back in solo and seems to have swam possibly from Gore to Pyrite, and subsequently fell to her death scaling the steep cliffs.

As moderators we have deleted a few posts that had guesses, hypothesis, third hand info or were posted prior to confirmation that the family had been notified.

I am greatly saddened by the tragic loss of a close friend.

There will be zero tolerance from the moderators from posts that contain unfounded speculation.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014   #3
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 06
I am in contact with the family. They are looking to hold a celebration of her life Thursday or Friday (leaning towards Friday afternoon) in boulder, CO. Possibly a short service by a river. They are from out of town and dont know the area. They asked if I could try and help find a place to hold the celebration. If any of you out there know of a place in boulder which could be used please let me know. From conversations with Beth I want you all to know that she really held the kayak community close to her heart and considered us dirtbags part of her family. If you know of a spot please let me know. kayak friends will be most definitely welcome and when I hear more details about a time and date I will post it on the buzz.

Nick 412-337-5122
NYourd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014   #4
Technology Partner, Littleton, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to mvhyde
Sad news indeed, she was a class act and fun to be around and paddle with.
And the Lord said, let there be whitewater. So on Friday, the 13th day of the month....
mvhyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014   #5
Arvada, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Skillkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014   #6
Total newbie
Arvada, Colorado
Very sorry to hear this. My condolences to her family and friends.
Bonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014   #7
Ft Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
RIP Beth. We have lost an amazing person and river soul, someone who touched the lives of a great many of us. Beth, you will be sorely missed and fondly remembered. My sincere condolences to family and close friends.

Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014   #8
golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Thanks for being such a good friend to my sister and helping out with our family over the years Beth. I’ll be sure to give that house warming plant you gave me a little extra love from here on out. It was a pleasure knowing you. RIP.
kcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014   #9
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
We all loved you, Beth, and we will miss you.
Id725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014   #10
pnw, Washington
I only know her through her posts but I have always enjoyed her thoughtful and intelligent posts. She will be missed.

Also like to thank those that held back posting earlier as we requested. Thank you and I apologize to those whose posts were removed earlier.

"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote