Old 08-18-2014   #41
Englewood, CO
Paddling Since: 2002
Well said Flowtorch: "She was such a treasure. I'll always value her friendship and the good times paddling with that woman. She loved this scene and community probably more than anything."
That's one of the great things about paddling and Beth exhibited that better than anyone. Folks like Beth make this a community. The last time I saw her was 2 weeks ago and she was shuttling me and a buddy and our creek boats in the back of her truck when she had other places to be. She wanted to be sure we got back on the river before she took off.

sfornst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014   #42
Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Send a message via AIM to erdvm1
I will miss you Beth. You were a very kind soul and a wonderful person. I am so sad you have passed.

Go Dawgs!!!
Happiness is a way of travel not a destination
erdvm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014   #43
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Couldn't believe this when I heard last night. Still can't today. Such a shock and sad to not share a shuttle or paddle again with Beth. I hope you're Yawp is loud and you're soaking in every second of what's next, like you did here.
stubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014   #44
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 06
The final confirmation on times will be in the morning, and I or someone close will be posting the exact information here. But it looks like the celebration of Beth's life will be Friday around 4-7 pm at Millennium Hotel Pavilion in Boulder. Once that has been confirmed by Beths sister in law, I will pass along the information. Thanks to all that helped me today getting venue suggestions to the family.
NYourd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014   #45
Boulder, Colorado
I once posted on MB that I had found a lost pogie on Boulder Creek and Beth PM'd me that she had lost one on the Salmon and maybe it had swum up Boulder Creek to be found. Turned out it was someone else's and I am sorry that I never connected with her. Deep sorrows to all who knew and paddled with her. I always loved the heart cactus.
yojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014   #46
Kayak/SUP Instructor
The High Ground, Colorado
I just couldn't believe this was true and I was heart broken when I heard about her this morning. What a sweetheart and so much fun to be with on the river. My condolences to her family and friends.
"Let us cross the river to the other side and rest beneath the shade of the trees." ~ Last words of Thomas Jonathan ''Stonewall' Jackson
Theophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014   #47
I'll add condolences to family and friends too. I always looked forward to paddling with Beth whether it was on Bailey, Clear Creek, the Poudre or freezing on the NYD paddle. Her smile and attitude was always infectious. I wish I could have paddled some with her this year during the actual boating season. But my last memories of her were doing laps on the NYD paddle in Glenwood and her getting everyone together for a group photo. And low water last year on the Poudre Narrows and ribbing her about the wine cork for a drain plug as she styled the Narrows.

Beth touched a lot of people and brought smiles to many faces, she will be missed.

"Basic research is what I am doing when I don't know what I am doing." -- Werner von Braun
jtnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014   #48
Where ever the water is...., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to peterholcombe
Beth was so great in so many ways! We paddled together first on New Year's Day when it was 7 degrees. We both had a great time with icicle helmets and all. Wonderful conversation over the 6 hour drive for a 20 minute Shoshone run. We went on to paddle the last 5 or so New Years Days together making a kind of tradition. She was always up for paddling, even in the winter on a powder day, I loved that. Beth you will be missed... Watch over us all on the river. You will be in our thoughts and paddle strokes when the light is just right in the canyon and the water comes to life, in the moments when we all know that the time we spend in these magical places in our boats is more than just an activity but a connection to something greater.
peterholcombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014   #49
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I remember running into Beth at the putin on her first time down Bailey. She forgot her paddle and thought she'd just make the run with hand paddles. I assured her that she'd really want a paddle and talked her into taking my break down just in case. Yep, she was game for anything. Thanks for the fun times, Beth. You will be missed.
SueCherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014   #50
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
'Many paddlers speak of the tragic deaths that have occurred in whitewater. For many of us these accidents are too close. They have occurred on rivers we have paddled, on rapids we have run, and to paddlers more skilled than us. Although most people see these fallen paddlers as tragic, I see them as my heroes.
As we all know there are inherent dangers involved with kayaking. The likelihood of fatal accidents occurring on Class IV+ is something we have been forced to acknowledge. Nature has shown that death is a possibility in our sport. Knowing of the deaths that have occurred and realizing that more will follow, my views on this have changed. Although most see tragedy, I see the ultimate gift. We try to ignore it but the possibility of drowning while paddling tough whitewater exists. Nature dictates that some must fall. The deaths have proven to be random. My friends who have given their lives have all been highly skilled. My nightmares have been realized. No one wants to die while kayaking, but unfortunately some have and some will. I now see those who have perished as my heroes. They paid the ultimate price for what we all love. We are so lucky to be able to paddle challenging and difficult whitewater.
I never thought it would happen to my friends, ones so skilled and competent, but it has. It is as simple as this: these deaths allow us to paddle another day. Nature requires a toll for allowing us to paddle these incredible rivers. The majority of us will only pay with an occasional cut or bruise, some pay with the sadness of the loss of a friend, some pay with their lives. This allows the rest of us to live incredible experiences, cherish wonderful memories, and look forward to paddling days ahead. Someone once told me they thought it was ridiculous to be prepared to lose your life while kayaking tough whitewater. I donít see how anyone can afford to not recognize this possibility.
I remember my friends who have died almost every day. I try to honor them with my paddling. I recognize the sacrifice they made. I thank them for their gift everyday.' ---- Jeff West

Beth, Ladi, Shannon, Jeff, Dirk, and Adam - you're my heros. Thank you for the gift

JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote