Mountain Buzz banner

Gila Has Dreamflows?

5K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  almortal 
#1 ·
Didn't feel like starting a 4th Gila flow thread but was told my last one was too old.

Not sure if anyone else compulsively checks the Gila flows like I do but it has been so amazing I'm almost skeptical. Christmas the gauge spiked to an unbelievable level and has stayed at low runnable since. Saturday night it started rising again. Is it runoff? It looks like a major precipitation event will happen across the southwest this weekend as well. If this is runoff how long will it be sustained?

Does anybody have eyes on the ground down in NM that can verify whether this is all real and will be sustained or is it a dream and the gauges just busted like mad? I would like a positive confirmation before I cancel lecture the first week of the semester.

Any takers if this is for real?

#2 ·
It's definitely real. I have been watching it closely as well and the flows are coinciding with moisture events. It must be saturated because flows have been sustained much longer than in an average year. I'm currently in the process of trying to put together a self support trip to the region and if current patterns hold, timing will be much more flexible than usual. Get on it now if you have a chance. Who knows when the pattern will change.

#4 ·
Hey Guys - I'm in Santa Fe and would love to join a Chama trip. I have a 14.5' raft - do you think it's doable with a boat this big? I've read about folks taking a 12' down. Let me know your plans!
I've done the Chama a couple times in a 14' cataraft, but you'll want at least 800cfs for it to be at a good level. I've done it with less, but don't recommend it.

#5 ·
The Gila has been surging off an on lately in response to rain events and being too warm down here for snow. This rain is melting off what little there was of the high country snows - thats where that 17,000cfs flash came from that we heard about back in Dec. The later we get and closer to spring, the less chance for keeping any snow up high so everything hits as rain and runs off. The snowpack above the watersheds of the Gila are just not there, as its only been rain

A buddy and I packrafted it last year in late Feb. early March on about 300cfs and it was already declining by the day at that time so I would suggest the sooner the better. Also, regarding rafts, that might be a tough run given the amount of debris that has piled up. Lots of mega fires in the Gila over the last few years have changed things quite significantly. My thoughts from last years river conditions told me that in the future, big rafts on the Gila may be reduced to memory or a lot of hard work if you do, and if you do, go light and take a saw with you! IK's and packrafts are the way to see it

#8 ·

Very, very tempting. Trying to rally locals right now, and I'm stoked on the possibility. Flows are perfect right now, but headed to flood this weekend. Could be an epic quick trip with super fast heads up wood scouting. I'm hoping to join a hardshell/packraft/ducky self support. Drive down Friday night, boat Saturday and Sunday, take out and or just drive back Monday....

Check this weather forecast. 90% chance of snow Friday into Saturday... and I read the aggressive models were predicting 2.5-3.5" of moisture...

Logan

#9 ·
I can't do it this weekend but if the flows are adequate next weekend (27th) we will either float Fri-Sun. or Sat.-Mon with marathon through the night driving. My lower threshold for loading the car and leaving Fort Collins is 600+ dependent on how sustained the flows seem. Last time paddling out the last day at <300 sucked in my 10 ft. raft.
Holler if these dates are feasible to anyone.

#11 ·
we ran the San Francisco through the Gila, someone else had tried but damaged their pool toys, and abandoned them on the river bank.... the damaged boats triggered Greeley county sheriffs to initiate search and rescue thinking the paddlers were swept down stream...made for an interesting weekend...

#12 ·
Gila Wilderness Run - did anyone run it Jan 2017?

Looking for beta on running this again in my 13' cat - did it about 10 years ago with no problema. I see a number of you talked about it this past January so if anybody went, please provide a report!!! Also, thinking of the San Francisco! Fun stuff!

#13 ·
we were anxiously looking at it earlier, back in January and almost pulled the trigger and went when it jumped up a couple thousand but after we studied the SWE charts and looked at the long term weather a bit, we decided that there was likely plenty of time (a couple more weeks max) to wait and hit it when the true runoff starts and the weather warms up a bit. Its been holding steady in the 500 range and there is still a shit pile of snow up in the high country. We ran it last year about this time and based on the amount of debris that is in the main channel I would guess that you need at least 800-1000cfs to get rafts/cats bigger than 10' down this, like I said before, take a saw with you to deal with the wood problems. We run it in packrafts or IK's

#15 ·
I'm looking to put a 3-4 day paddle of the Gila Wilderness (Upper Box) run together this month (March 2017), is anyone else interested?

Regarding the San Francisco: Upper (reserve to Kelly Ranch is clear of wood and IK runnable down to 140 cfs), below Kelly Ranch the river is full of beaver-cut strainers (10-12), US 180 to Pleasanton is decent, Pleasanton, NM to Clifton, AZ is probably full of strainers, but runnable, and Clifton, AZ to Gila confluence is clear of wood and small raft/cat runnable down to 475 cfs/ kayaks/IKs down to 200 cfs.

Gila Middle Box (US 180 to Red Rocks) is rocking this winter! We paddled a couple of weeks ago at 1100 cfs = perfect level!

#17 ·
Hi gilamonster - thank you for the beta! My group just got off the Gila wilderness run in small rafts @ 1000 cfs; it was clear (well, there were some must-make moves for the rafts but doable) until just 1/4 mi above Turkey creek takeout, where the mother of all logjams completely blocked the river required a 3 1/2 hour portage of all rafts.

So it sounds like the middle box is open and clear of wood for small rafts as well, if you've done it recently at 1100 cfs? And your SF beta is also from this past month? If so, nice!!

#18 ·
I just got back from a 3 day Gila and figured I'd give a basic report. We had been watching the gauge and when it was holding at 1000 we cancelled some classes and did the drive through the night Thursday. Friday the nice folks a the Gila Wilderness Lodge arranged shuttle for us. I would highly recommend using their services; they took out the day before we put on and had a bunch of great beta (they will tell you some secret spots).

I did this exact same trip exactly a year ago this week with flows going 450 down to ~300. That time we paddle rafted my 10 ft mini-max. I would not recommend a small raft below 400. Duckies and hardboats would be fine down to 200. At that level it is maybe class 2, most of the technical boating was choosing the right channel and avoiding the down trees, lots of them.

This time after taking out we checked and saw that we put in a little under 1000 and took out around 750. We rowed a 12 ft paddle cat and my mini-max. I would not recommend putting on with oars at any level below this. The wilderness lodge folks said their group had a 14ft paddle raft when it was holding at >1000 and were fine. Not surprising there were more down trees than last time due to all the high water. There was a moderate amount of boat abuse getting through some of them (note we were rowing, not paddling). The trees are obvious, although often around blind corners, and of little danger as long as you are in the boat (I don't think bringing a saw would be worth the trouble). At flood levels the pushiness and higher water might make these harder to sneak through, but there are almost always multiple channels to choose from that would be boatable at high water.

At this level I would say it is mostly 2+ with a couple short rapids that might be 3- or even three. It would be hard to flip a ten foot raft but not impossible. The size of these could very easily swamp and open canoe with a less skilled paddler.

Having done it twice this time of year with shorter days, I would encourage someone to do at least three nights and four days. We were maintaining all forward and were getting about 3 1/2 - 4 miles per hour which didn't give us a lot of time for side exploration and made for 3 busy days of rowing. I would also recommend bringing a shovel for the hot springs (mile ~12 springs river left are looking good right now). I still think that the best way to do this at any level would be a ducky.

#20 ·
Glad you got back in there Alex. Wish I could have joined you with more water.

For San Fran, I agree with gilamonster that rafts would suck in there. Way more trees across the river than on the Gila when I did it, and generally a narrower stream bed through the upper canyon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.