Gates of Lodore High Water - Mountain Buzz

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1

Carbondale, Colorado
Gates of Lodore High Water

we are going on the Lodore next week. Seems to be running between 9 and 10,000 and I have heard Hells Half Mile can be nasty. Anyone done this stretch at this level? Tips?:

AMYMOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2

Bayfield, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Do a thread search. Last year there was a thread with this title that had a ton of good info. Distilled, if your comfortable with big water/waves most everything is covered up. Lines are easier but a swim in that kind of flow is not a good thing. Be safe.
jamesthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3

debeque, Colorado
High Water 9260cfs 2016 Hells Half Mile

Perspective from a 12'6" Hyside cat,overwhelmed,and theres an entire playlist.....hope it gives you ideas,not nightmares,like it did to me....

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Phoenix-...=page_internal
lilbillm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
That looks amazing! Riddled with surf.
wsmckinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5

I ran the biggest of the meat that I could get to at about 8000 last year in my 14' cat. No big deal, the lines are easy to see and easy to hit, set up and run it.
spencerhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6

Loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMYMOON View Post
we are going on the Lodore next week. Seems to be running between 9 and 10,000 and I have heard Hells Half Mile can be nasty. Anyone done this stretch at this level? Tips?:
We just took off and it was running 9000. Definitely need to scout Disaster, Harp, Triplett, Hells and Moonshine. However, the runs are straight-forward, with maybe a hard pull or move here or there. As said above, its mostly punching BIG waves, although there are a few trouble spots to avoid. This was my first run down Lodore and I found it to be spectacular...and the rapids were just tough enough to get my heart pounding.

Hells wasn't too bad and I am not that great a boater...basically run center left to pass between all the nasty stuff river left and just skirt the big center hole/wave (think they call it Lucifer's rock?)...then there is a BIG right side lateral that you "T" up for. After that its a roller coaster.

Harp was especially wild...5-6 BIG standing waves all in a row, like a NPS employee said "a Mini Hermit".

It was very cold and moving fast so dress appropriately. Wish I could get my pics to upload...have a great one of a NPS raft just after a total eject in Disaster...so it happens to the best. Have a great time.
John_in_Loveland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #7

Loveland, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_in_Loveland View Post
We just took off and it was running 9000. Definitely need to scout Disaster, Harp, Triplett, Hells and Moonshine. However, the runs are straight-forward, with maybe a hard pull or move here or there. As said above, its mostly punching BIG waves, although there are a few trouble spots to avoid. This was my first run down Lodore and I found it to be spectacular...and the rapids were just tough enough to get my heart pounding.

Hells wasn't too bad and I am not that great a boater...basically run center left to pass between all the nasty stuff river left and just skirt the big center hole/wave (think they call it Lucifer's rock?)...then there is a BIG right side lateral that you "T" up for. After that its a roller coaster.

Harp was especially wild...5-6 BIG standing waves all in a row, like a NPS employee said "a Mini Hermit".

It was very cold and moving fast so dress appropriately. Wish I could get my pics to upload...have a great one of a NPS raft just after a total eject in Disaster...so it happens to the best. Have a great time.
Here are some pics..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Disaster.JPG
Views:	348
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	16738   Click image for larger version

Name:	Disaster.NPS.JPG
Views:	385
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	16746  

Name:	Harp.JPG
Views:	306
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	16754   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010098.moonshine.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	16762  

Old 1 Week Ago   #8
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
How was the run through Moonshine? Did you hit it or went left?

From the link above (thanks for the vids!) looks like the Disaster rapids are the toughest ones at that level. Did you go left on the Upper/Mid disaster by the big rock?
Old 1 Week Ago   #9

Loveland, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazak4x4 View Post
How was the run through Moonshine? Did you hit it or went left?

From the link above (thanks for the vids!) looks like the Disaster rapids are the toughest ones at that level. Did you go left on the Upper/Mid disaster by the big rock?
There was a soft spot just to the right of the big center wave in Moonshine and I hit it square. Just went up and over and rode the rest of the wave train. The other guys tried to go left and still were pushed into the center, down the wave train.

We went left in Disaster, but had a bit of an "epic". The first boat missed the scout eddy and ran blind. The second boat followed to provide support. I wasn't sure if I should go or scout but there was a NPS trip scouting and they yelled to stay left. We did, but not quite enough to miss the big bottom wave. Was turned a bit sideways but highsided and went up and over. From what I can tell, the closer to the shore you can run safely, the better. This NPS boat in the picture is making a perfect run.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Disaster.NPS.perfect run.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	16882   Click image for larger version

Name:	Disaster.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	16890  

Old 1 Week Ago   #10

Jensen, Utah
Disaster @ 8,600 cfs

Who might that be rowing the NPS boat making the "perfect run" in Disaster?
River Betty is offline   Reply With Quote