Old 09-20-2013   #21
Boulder, Colorado
Just a quick comment on my status.

My wife and I are okay, staying with our son in Boulder. Our house is still there, we are more fortunate then some of my neighbors. We had about 6 inches of water flush through the house. Our 2 cars are okay, but not accessible due to no road/bridge to where we were parked the cars.

At the moment, our pressing needs are transportation, especially 'long term'. We don't know when we can retrieve the cars and winter is just around the corner. I have to winterize the house while at the sametime I need to tackle the water damage. Only residents can get back to town (about a 2 hour trip from Boulder), even once there, there is no road to my house

This is currently Lower Main St looking east .
Our house is about 100 yards down the road - past the trees about 3 houses down. Our cars, while safe, need to get through all of that.

There are a few other folks in town that do dome water activities.

Anyway, thanks for the thoughts

Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #22
State page for flood contributions

cadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #23
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
OMG Cheyenne I am so sorry. My heart aches for all of you. Know people from around the world are sending love and lots of energy. This too shall pass. Yes it will. Just don't get hurt working too hard.
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #24
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Matt, been thinking of you and other folks in Lyons. I've had some excitement myself. We had a newborn the Sunday before the flooding started. Three days after our girl was born we had massive flooding in our basement, but with pumps and diversions we were able to keep it out of the main floor. I never even thought we had flood risk at our home until streams of water began draining off the hill behind our house.

I moved everybody to the neighbor's home for a couple days, but with the help of friends and neighbors I got everything out of there, carpet and drywall stripped and power back on. It's been a busy, tiring week of work, and while I'm not done yet, my home is getting close to being back in order and am finally feeling a little sense of assuagement despite significant loss.

I know a lot of other people are just beginning to figure out how to clean up the wreckage and I've been so busy dealing with my own shit that I've only been peripherally in touch with everything else going on.

I've received an enormous amount of help from various people in the boating community around here and that help is the difference between feeling overwhelmed and feeling good about your friendships and the community around you. I'm sitting here typing this with my beautiful new baby girl in my lap and feeling very thankful.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #25
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Wow, Kevo! Congrats on the baby girl! I'm sorry to hear about the flood damage. This thing is crazy! I could make some time next week if you need any help...
benpetri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #26
Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Send a message via AIM to erdvm1
Kevin, you're about to start the most amazing journey of all time.

Life is good, some adventures are harder than others but having a family is what makes the ride enjoyable for me. Our children are blissfully oblivious. Just the way I like it. I may have a bit of that in me too

Update from Lyons
The corp of engineers was supposed to decide where the river will reside today. Haven't heard the decision yet but should be interesting.
Power is close to being available but they have to turn it on incrementally so they don't start a fire.

Gas is supposed to be close as well.
The biggies are water and sewage
The a hole is gone
October hole gone
November gone
Can't tell about the BB hole
There are some meadow park structures still intact

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1505642729.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	732.3 KB
ID:	7159

Name:	image-3124087878.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	698.7 KB
ID:	7160

Name:	image-3054040533.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	663.7 KB
ID:	7161

Name:	image-697101911.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	816.3 KB
ID:	7162

Name:	image-4107650743.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	628.8 KB
ID:	7163
Go Dawgs!!!
Happiness is a way of travel not a destination
erdvm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #27
Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Send a message via AIM to erdvm1
The third picture is where the dam below the October hole used to be
The rest are around meadow park
Go Dawgs!!!
Happiness is a way of travel not a destination
erdvm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #28
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Dam. Pretty crazy thinking about how long the river has been out of its original bed, and how quickly it reclaimed said spot. It had not really occurred to me before this event, how many places we've moved the channel to make a road more convenient and how easy it is for the rio to reclaim its rightful spot. It will be interesting to see if engineers decide to allow her to keep any of her reclaimed bed, of if they force it all back and see how long it stays there.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #29
Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990
Here's why.

Please donate. Here's why:
I love to dance, but who needs the music- It throws me off.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013   #30
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Glad to hear you have some peace of mind Kevin. I can't imagine what it must be like to have a newborn and have your house ravaged by the flood simultaneously. I grew up in new Orleans and saw countless floods and hurricanes, and this is right up there with that level of destruction. Its Colorado's Katrina.

What has impressed me is the quality of the response and rescue effort. The Colorado disaster response seems way more orderly, efficient, and organized than disaster responses I have seen in the past, many first hand. The national guard with high clearance vehicles and helicopter rescues did an amazing job. Kevin sent out emails for help and people were instantly at his side to help him out. Matt told me stories of friends coming together to help each other in such a quick and powerful way that it makes you thankful to have good people like that to call friends.

Sorry to hear about your predicament Cheyenne. Thoughts go out to you and all the other folks dealing with this disaster.

After the immediate shock subsides, the daunting task od cleaning and rebuilding seems too large to comprehend. I have faith that we will get there. We should be braced for the full recovery to be measured in years and not months. Its a long road home.

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote