Old 04-07-2015   #11
the fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Originally Posted by pinemnky13 View Post
Stay very far away
Very far
I am on my 2nd Otter and have loved both of them. I fish smaller streams in northern Colorado and southern Wyoming where weight and width are a big concern for skinny water. A few years ago, I sold the 13' boat and got a 14' boat when we had our first child. I bought the Otter 142 this time because it's 6" wider than the 140. If you're not as concerned about width, then the Otter 140 might be a good option for you. They both have plenty of room for 2 fishermen and a captain for day trips or overnighters or 1 fisherman and a captain for longer trips.

Both of these boats are great fishing crafts and plenty worthy of serious whitewater.

Good luck.

By the waterside I will lay my head.
Listen to the river sing sweet songs to rock my soul.
the_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015   #12
Given the budget to start with I’d keep it simple. It’s easy to get caught up in all the pretty options, which are nice, but you don’t have to have them starting out. Add as you go, especially with no trailer, all the extra crap is just weight and complexity.

My .02…look for a used or value raft, I would look at a Vanguard or Aire Tributary or RMR 14 with a very basic NRS frame to start. The Vanguard’s in particular are known for having a hard floor to stand on. An NRS frame with front deck (or cooler there) instead of seat with just a lean bar and maybe a stern frame with seat is still pretty easy to roof rack and fast to setup/takedown for the back of your truck with an LVM pump. Once you go trailer then add all the heavy accessories that are nice for fishing. That will get you started and see what you like and those rafts or anything more expensive are going to last you a long, long time.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015   #13
If you've only got $3K, get some decent rubber, a basic frame and the rest of the essentials and call it good. All the dodads are cool, but far from necessary. Some people act like you need a thousand dollar rod and reel, a wardrobe full of Simms, a Tundra with all the right stickers and $6K fishing boat.

Get on the river, toss some bugs and have fun.
Jamie D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015   #14
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
Keep an eye on The forum has a lot of used fly fishing gear, including the occasional raft.
Jake D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015   #15
Lemooreq, California
Paddling Since: 1969
I second the above comments about Scadden, I have a 10 Skykomish Sunrise and while it's good for lakes or Class I & II waters, it's not what Scadden claims. It IS good for fishing still or easy waters by yourself as I can load (on Yakima Rack on the top of my truck shell) and carry it by myself. For what you want, get a real boat. I think you need to decide on a raft vs a cataraft; raft will carry more people for the same length, but do you really want more than 2 and an oarsman? Things get crowded quickly and you'll not be all fishing while drifting. They each have their virtues. I have a RMR 14' Cat that IIRC I have just about $3K into the frame & tubes and used oars (Cataracts), but that's not counting trailer and accessories. You don't want to carry a raft that'll handle 3 persons on your rooftop or assemble it at the launch site, really. So now you need a trailer, seats, boxes, PFD's anchor(s) etc/etc. I have about $5K or pretty close to it in mine.
As said above, check out WashingtonFlyfishing Forums. Always one for sale there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG2542 (2).jpg
Views:	251
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	9643   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG2543 (2).jpg
Views:	212
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	9644  

pvsprme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015   #16
Puyallup, Washington
Paddling Since: 12
Thanks again everyone for all of your suggestions, this is a really a great forum. I had no idea that there could be so many options, but there is some great advice here.
Troutsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015   #17
south lake tahoe, California
Paddling Since: 1974
Used 13' or 14' boat with a NRS Bighorn 2 Frame. You can build from there
chiapet74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015   #18
Charleston, West Virginny
Paddling Since: 1996
Start simple (i.e. simple rowframe and boat) and build as you require and develop needs.

I prefer a simpler set up...especially when I'm flyfishing, as do most of the guys I fish with....otherwise there's just so much to get your line hung up on.

I like having a light boat so we can do super low water runs in the summer and drag over shoals, I like being able to hit the big rapids without banging my body on all the frame pieces and lean bars. I like being able to move around the boat and sit/stand/board and unboard wherever and I like being able to put in at difficult accesses where there is no good boat trailer launch because it means fewer people fish it.
2kanzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015   #19
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
Here's one for you.

Jake D is offline   Reply With Quote