Old 03-15-2015   #31
cedar city, Utah
Originally Posted by ednorton View Post
The widtsoe snotel site has the snow pack at 110% of the median is that mich of an indicator how the river will run in the middle of May?

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz
Our last reliable, big snow year was 2011. Compared to that year the Widstoe site is 2.5 inches less on SWE, air temperature is an average 3-5F warmer, and 6 inches less accumulated snow.

The warmer air temperature all season combined with the other elements (assuming all stays steady) leads me to believe it will be a earlier and lower release. One difficult variable is how much the local reservoirs and farmers pull from that release, which could be significant considering the last 2-3 years have been noticeably dry.

That is only one station though, despite it being the only one directly in the drainage (others look like they directly feed north or east of the escalante). They provide a fuller picture of the entire drainage though if you look at their aspect. Unfortunately, Sunflower would give a good estimate on Deer Creek, etc but they don't have enough data for 20 year averages (2 inches more SWE than last year which was abysmal but noticeably warmer). Clayton Springs is a good indicator for what will be coming out below the town of Escalante in drainages like Pine, Sand and Death Hollow and it looks grim at 70% average.

The historic data shows the SWE peaks in early April so that would be the best time to check, compare and vaguely plan for launch. Storms forecasted this week but currently are predicted to hold very little snow. Just hope it stays cold and doesn't turn into a rain on snow event.

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015   #32
I'm having trouble finding the historical data for the Escalante snotel sites, specifically last Aprils SWE. Any help would be appreciated

ednorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015   #33
Looks like our Escalante trip is a go for the 17th of May. Meeting a friend of mine from Alaska in St George then heading to the put in from the Egypt trail head. Looks like I'm losing a partner from Berkeley so would like to pick up someone on the way.

Old 05-08-2015   #34
Big Sky, Montana
Paddling Since: 1995
Hey we packrafted it a couple weeks ago at 1.2 cfs, Egypt to Coyote. I wouldn't do it again at that level, but it was still OK for our first time. I weigh 155 pounds and my buddy weighs 190, he dragged a lot more than I did. We portaged twice, and had to get out and float/drag the boats 10 or 20 times. The corners against brush weren't too bad, but we certainly had to scoot along the riverbed many, many, many times. My hands got a little cut up from pushing off the bottom so much. An amazing place! We floated the 40 miles in 4 days, 5 or 6 would have been better. I left some climbing gear at Neon, and dropped my camera in the river later that day, let me know if you find it.
afraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015   #35
Thanks for the report, water is pretty dismal, snow pack is cooked we will try again next year