Old 01-30-2015   #21
cedar city, Utah
So, I finally went back and looked at the Snotel data. The "basin" report currently lists the % median at 104%. The problem, as I discovered last year, is they have only 4 stations and 1 of the ones they use actually flows off the north side of the Boulders into the Fremont, not the Escalante. Sadly enough its skewing the data higher (Donkey Res = 146%) as its got the most snow of the region.

My guess is if current trends keep up they Escalante is going to have a very limited release that is going to be lower than the flawed basin data indicates. Could be wrong and would love to see more snow for the entire southern part of the state but forecasts are for warmer and drier trends to continue. And not just a little warmer but like 20F more than average.

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015   #22
Gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Thanks for all the info everyone, that's extremely helpful and I don't think the beta could get any better. Lynne, check your inbox I'd love to get my hands on those maps etc you mentioned.

As far as snowpack, this is a dicey year so far and I just landed a Salt permit so I may be switching priorities. We'll see how these next two months play out

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Mountain Buzz

stupka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015   #23
Boulder, Colorado
Here's what I'd like to see - ref. 1993 and 2005 snowpack when there was plenty of water from Calf Creek down:
yojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015   #24
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
Hi all,
Figured that I would just share the google docs on here.

Map series, 1:24K imagery but no topo:

Map series, 1:24K imagery and topo:

Cheers! Lynne
lchastai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015   #25
Durango South, 4CRS
Paddling Since: 07
Thanks Lynne! Much appreciated.
Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. - Helen Keller
yakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015   #26
Fort Collins, Colorado
Awesome info Lynne! I hope I can pull off this trip this year.

This is why I love this place, most people are here to help each other get out and enjoy the water!
mervo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015   #27
The widtsoe snotel site has the snow pack at 110% of the median is that mich of an indicator how the river will run in the middle of May?

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz
ednorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015   #28
Boulder, Colorado
20 or 30 inches SWE would be better. compare to 2005 and 1993 when the rio rocked in May.
yojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015   #29
SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 1983
Wow, Lynne, those are great resources. Thanks for sharing that. My only Escalante trip was 5 years ago, late, gambling on a little remaining snow and forecasted warm up. Flow was at 4.5 cfs when we put on with an Aire 2 person Lynx, a pack cat, and 2 pack rafts. Each had advantages and disadvantages. We took 8 days and had a great time, although it was slow, tiring, and we worried about getting out the whole time. Still had time to hike quite a bit, but it was hard work. The hike out Crack in the Wall was fine - we were all in good shape, it was hot so we hiked at dusk, hitting full dark at the Crack, and made for a good adventure. A fun variation involved carrying half our stuff out one evening, driving to the stock tank on 40 mi Ridge Rd and descending the Jacob Hamblin Arch route with empty packs, then spending all day hiking down Coyote back to our remaining gear, and doing load #2 at dusk the next night. Having food and water waiting in the truck was obviously key, as well as being able to run the short shuttle. I guess the biggest lesson learned was that higher water is great, but 50 cfs is not a hard lower limit.
paulster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015   #30
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
Hi al,

No problem on those maps - I had a really good time making them. It always surprises me, after spending *so* much time with the maps, how it still is not quite what I imagined. It is always better!

In any case, I would appreciate any and all feedback about the maps. Were they too busy? Was the legend clear enough? Would you have preferred no imagery, or that the imagery be more transparent over the hillshade? Were the symbols clear? When I send my maps out to my clients (my day job is as a geologist), I usually send out a one-page sheet explaining the map. Does this series need that? I would not think people who would be going on this kind of wilderness trip would need that, but if they do, then I can write one up. I take no offense at any constructive criticism (in good faith). I love making maps, and I really want to make *useful* maps. No rush, wait until after your trip(s), and then give it to me straight! Ha!

My lawyer friend told me I should state that these are use-at-your-own-risk, and that I don't guarantee accuracy. So now I have done that. Sigh. It's a shame I have to do that, but she's probably right. No offense to anyone.

I won't be able to do this trip again this year, unfortunately, but I hope those who do will post some pictures! What a great place.

Cheers! Lynne

lchastai is offline   Reply With Quote