Old 12-03-2015   #11
Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Could be, I thought to try and have them replace mine before sending, but figured I might get a fuck off, so gonna see how it does with neoprene first, maybe go take it for a swim. Figure I should at least stay dry rowing, and neoprene has a little less strangulation factor, still an upgrade from what I have.

Think of me what you will, I got a little space to fill.
mattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015   #12
Confluence, Pennsylvania
Paddling Since: 1999
IR will do it for $70

I work at IR. I just spoke with our customer service guys. They said it's $70 to put a latex neck in a semi-dry suit. It's a little more complicated than just gluing in a gasket. You actually have to sew and tape an inner receiver into the suit and glue the gasket to that piece.

It's easy for us to do at IR...but it would be a pain to DIY. Not saying you couldn't it would just take a decent sewing machine operator, a piece of waterproof/breathable fabric (ideally similar to what the suit is made from) and access some high quality waterproof/breathable seam tape. After you sew and tape the receiver you could glue in a gasket.

If you get the suit and the neoprene neck isn't as dry as you want you could send the suit back for a latex neck at a later point if you wanted.

huckh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015   #13
north little rock, Arkansas
Great! That's exactly what I was looking for when I asked the CSR but I'm sure things are a little crazy at IR between the holidays and the big sale, so no harm no foul. I'll follow your recommendation. Thanks Huck.
lncoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016   #14
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Not to hijack tread, but does anyone know if you can replace neoprene with latex on a stohlquist ez drysuit?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
SteamboatBORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016   #15
Confluence, Pennsylvania
Paddling Since: 1999

you could probably do it. it might be ugly if you don't have much sewing experience. i'm not sure about how the stholquist suit you have is constructed but here's what you would have to do to put a latex neck in a generic dry suit/top with just a neo neck.

youll need a piece of waterproof breathable material that is bigger than the neck neoprene neck opening. cut this to be larger but roughly the same shape as the neck opening. you will need to cut a hole in this piece to glue a neck gasket on. we'll call it this piece the receiver. you sew and tape (you can iron on tape at home) the receiver in and glue the neck gasket to the receiver. after you get that all taken care of you'll probably want some drain holes in the neck outer fabric so water doesn't pool up

huckh2o is offline   Reply With Quote