Dildo Rock + Noah's Ark = WTF - Page 8 - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-06-2016   #71

Fayetteville, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 1975
Hey all, just wanted to let you know. We, here in WV, have been in contact with Noah's Ark regarding this. Chuck, the owner, has been very gracious and humble, and is horrified at the behavior of his guides. He's already had a thorough debriefing with everyone involved, and is taking steps to make sure this doesn't happen again. Hopefully they will be hooking up with some locals here for their pilgrimage to the Gauley next fall, and learning some lines and doing some training.

In the meantime, let's cool it with the hate-fest. I, more than most people, know that it's way too easy to be an asshole on the internet. The NA folks are humbled by this, and are more than willing to learn and evolve. We all go through a learning curve, and that's about the best we can hope for any of us.

Peace out.

kenkruger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016   #72

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2006
I don't think the Noah's Ark folks are able to evolve, but maybe they'll be able to intelligently design better guides.
atg200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016   #73

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by atg200 View Post
I don't think the Noah's Ark folks are able to evolve, but maybe they'll be able to intelligently design better guides.
Too perfect!
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016   #74

Redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickle-D View Post
Hey Bill, Riding hood ornament on a raft compares in no way to base jumping, skydiving or even roller blading. Of course I understand hyperbole, but really if you've never cowboyed the bow how would you know?
I guess I stand corrected.
I had no idea you had base jumped, skydived or even roller bladed.
To know as well as you do and by your logic referenced here you have done a lot.

I stand by my earlier statement that placing oneself or a passenger in a position where they could be thrown downstream of a boat in a rapid is simply stupid. The risk is too high. Human life is valuable.

I look forward to the lawsuits.

Think about defending that behavior.
BilloutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016   #75

Redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
Quote:
I believe they are counting on someone else to complete the design.
BilloutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016   #76

Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2002
I'm with kenkruger. Well said and hopefully NA does modify their behavior. Learning respect is essential in life. These guides still don't quite have it for the river as we all could plainly see in the video. Respect is in short supply these days. Poking fun at the company because of their faith forward approach in a public forum isn't necessary. Mt Buzz does pop up a lot for people internet searching & looking to get into rivers. Keeping the conversation respectful is good for all of us.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
jmacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016   #77

Sylva, Western North Carolina
Paddling Since: 1981
Quote:
Good point.
Old 10-07-2016   #78

C. Springs, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenkruger View Post
The NA folks are humbled by this, and are more than willing to learn and evolve. We all go through a learning curve, and that's about the best we can hope for any of us.
Peace out.
The best lesson the owner of NA can learn is........to quit sending out loaner boats with the company name on it.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016   #79

We're screwed, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverdan View Post
The best lesson the owner of NA can learn is........to quit sending out loaner boats with the company name on it.
100% agree on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacn View Post
Mt Buzz does pop up a lot for people internet searching & looking to get into rivers. Keeping the conversation respectful is good for all of us.
While I would normally agree here as well, I did title this post with the word Dildo and acronym WTF. Couth, maturity, and respect walked out the door from the get go. I think the results of someone searching either of those words will be less than respectful. Hell this might classify as one of the classiest results in those internet searches.
Old 10-07-2016   #80

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by BilloutWest View Post
I guess I stand corrected.
I had no idea you had base jumped, skydived or even roller bladed.
To know as well as you do and by your logic referenced here you have done a lot.

I stand by my earlier statement that placing oneself or a passenger in a position where they could be thrown downstream of a boat in a rapid is simply stupid. The risk is too high. Human life is valuable.

I look forward to the lawsuits.

Think about defending that behavior.
You sound like a lot of fun on the river. Have you ever thought that simply rafting/kayaking is an unnecessarily risky behavior - too me it seems like the lowest common denominator in the catastrophe equation. I agree with pickle here, there are soooo many more dangerous activities that people partake in every day than riding the bull (running or riding on the shoulder of a road comes quickly to mind). Of course their are situations that you would be correct, but the gross generalization that it's always stupid is ridiculous.

Tags
ark