Dildo Rock + Noah's Ark = WTF - Page 7 - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-30-2016   #61

Portland, Oregon
Late to the party...

Fellow Oregonian (Bill out West)...

Having swam a lot when I only paddle-boated (1. because I was ignorant and 2. because I didn't know how to man ye old oars) there is much truth in what Mattman says.

That third point of contact is critical. As important is that you don't have a bunch of lollygaggers up front. it is hard to get an effective / straight stroke if you are sitting on a thwart. Folks up front are the braun, man with big stick in back is the brain. You get 4, 5, 6 aggressive paddlers out there on the colored rubber and you can do anything (if not more) than an oar rig. The more would be narrow, super rocky shite. The other reason you have them stay on task and not dive in the middle of the boat is you need that power through the rapid to maintain your line and make moves. There isn't the power of one or two backstrokes with oars. But as Mattman said, if you are running big drops (like Husum Falls on the White Salmon) you do go into more chuck it / f*ck it mode. Stay on line and paddle until last minute then duck and cover with paddle.

The one caveat I would offer up --- get those 4, 5, 6 paddlers some footcups. The difference in being locked in with a leg and leaning over the edge is HUGE.

As for riding the bull --- it is as safe as most other river hijinks: rock jumping, floating rapids, etc. There are some rapids you do it, and some you don't. Take Buckskin Mary on the Deschutes ---- YOU CAN RIDE THAT BULL LIKE NOBODY'S BIDNESS. That is a very, very forgiving rapid with a big tongue and a fun drop. Now Whitehorse, that would be as pointless as it would be stupid. You don't ride the bull when there is risk of putting someone's face square into a jagged rock.

PDX Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016   #62

page, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2014
riding the bull?

azpowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016   #63

Cave Creek, Arizona
They were definitely all guides in the boat as far as I understand. They were taking their end of the season trip. At least 3/4 of Noah's boats I saw on the river this season were oar rigs. Though who knows, maybe they were just trying for a mass baptism.
InflatableSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016   #64
catraftyak

Twisp, Washington
Paddling Since: 1980
I guided on the Ark from '84-'87 and guided on the Gauley in '86. Back then Noah's Ark essentially just back paddled away from everything. Whenever we would catch up to them (which was every time we encountered them), they would always create a bottleneck because no one was forward paddling. We would always try to get by them as soon as we saw them prior to a rapid. Some of the guides would not even have a paddle. They would just give commands. Even though they did have a spare paddle on the boat.
I'm not one to trash talk others, but I do call it is I see it. It appears Noah's Ark has maintained a standard of consistency over all these years. At least the boatload of hapless rafters in the video.
catraftyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016   #65

Redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX Duck View Post
Fellow Oregonian (Bill out West)...

That third point of contact is critical. As important is that you don't have a bunch of lollygaggers up front. it is hard to get an effective / straight stroke if you are sitting on a thwart. Folks up front are the braun, man with big stick in back is the brain. You get 4, 5, 6 aggressive paddlers out there on the colored rubber and you can do anything (if not more) than an oar rig. The more would be narrow, super rocky shite. The other reason you have them stay on task and not dive in the middle of the boat is you need that power through the rapid to maintain your line and make moves. There isn't the power of one or two backstrokes with oars. But as Mattman said, if you are running big drops (like Husum Falls on the White Salmon) you do go into more chuck it / f*ck it mode. Stay on line and paddle until last minute then duck and cover with paddle.

Yep.
Just like oar rigs.
Aggressive stroking for power forward through the rapid as long as possible.

People going off the front with the boat behind them is no big deal.
BilloutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016   #66

student
Bill, I'm confused. Are you arguing your point even though you admitted that you know nothing about paddle rafting?

What these guys are saying is correct.

Your argument would be akin to:

You: Rolling a kayak is stupid because it leaves your head vulnerable to rocks. Your head should be the first thing that comes up.

Experienced Kayaker: actually in oder to roll, your head should be the last thing that comes up.

You: yep, like I said, rolling is stupid.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016   #67

Redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
Bill, I'm confused. Are you arguing your point even though you admitted that you know nothing about paddle rafting?

What these guys are saying is correct.

Your argument would be akin to:

You: Rolling a kayak is stupid because it leaves your head vulnerable to rocks. Your head should be the first thing that comes up.

Experienced Kayaker: actually in oder to roll, your head should be the last thing that comes up.

You: yep, like I said, rolling is stupid.
I'm arguing that placing oneself in unnecessary danger with high risk behaviors is wrong, regardless of the vehicle. While I've only paddle boated a couple times I do know that being thrown from a raft, in a rapid is not a good choice.

Let's do a quick comparison.
I was a smokejumper for over 20 years. Never had a malfunction in 400+ jumps. Only ever saw two and those guys handled it. Had bruises and sprains. You can do many things that are challenging if you have good training, equipment and discipline.
Would I ever had considered base jumping? NO.

Being thrown from a boat and run over or pinned by said boat is akin to base jumping. Bad ideas. Its at least as bad as skydiving.

The riding the bull label says it all.
BilloutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016   #68

., Washington, D.C.
Paddling Since: 95
Hey Bill, Riding hood ornament on a raft compares in no way to base jumping, skydiving or even roller blading. Of course I understand hyperbole, but really if you've never cowboyed the bow how would you know?

I have never seen anyone run over by the raft as a result of riding on the bow. Though I have only only been involved in those shenanigans a handful of times. They usually fall back into the front of the boat, although I've seen bodies fly farther back during big wave hits.

The whole point is, the N-ARK boys sucked so badly at rafting that they left 2 boats wrapped on the Gauley. BTW not a Class V river, but also not really a read-n-run for most folks. Hubris would be the word of the season.
Pickle-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016   #69

Canon City, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by BilloutWest View Post
I'm arguing that placing oneself in unnecessary danger with high risk behaviors is wrong, regardless of the vehicle.
I think the question really boils down to the answer to two personally subjective questions that the above sentence highlights: 1. is this unnecessarily dangerous and 2. is this high risk behavior causing the aforementioned danger?

The answer to both are highly personal. Is jumping out of a plane unnecessarily dangerous? I think so. Into a forest fire? That's adding a high risk to the already dangerous activity.

Rafting is unnecessary in our modern lives, and it's dangerous. I've allowed, even suggested, to countless commercial guests that they ride the bull. Everyone always gets a great kick out of it, and no one in my boat has ever been hurt from it. On the other hand, I've seen several bad accidents and countless minor injuries and close calls from people jumping off of cliffs at "safe" spots.

As to the video in the OP- that's awesomely ridiculous. I've seen plenty of boats hit dildo, on purpose, on accident, but none quite so incompetently or so sideways. Classic Noah's Ark.
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016   #70

We're screwed, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
New angle of same debacle.

https://youtu.be/GFP0u3FcXsQ?t=29m31s

Tags
ark