Dildo Rock + Noah's Ark = WTF - Page 4 - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-20-2016   #31
Misspellingintothefuture!

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
In my experiance as a paddle guide for 9 years, it is rare that not paddling, and instead holding on, is the best thing to do. Especially going into any type of reversal. What keeps a paddler in the boat, is bracing in properly with his feet, and using his paddle. Your paddle is a third point of contact, just like your oar blades in an oar rig.
If you hit a reversal in an oar rig, and drop the oars and hold on, most likely your swimming, same is true for paddle boats.
Also, you really do need to be sitting all the way out on the tube as a paddler, this is necesary for affective paddling.
There are exceptions, such as running some water falls, case in point, tunnel in gore canyon, most boaters hold on for that drop.

Old 09-20-2016   #32

Rivertown, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 9:45
^^^^^^^ This Guy knows what the F%$# is going on in some serious whitewater. Not a bunch of Nancys lying in the bottom of the boat praying to the river gods to please get me out of here. Buy the way I dropped Sweets four times this weekend, once in a drift boat. It aint to hard to miss Dildo. The only time I every touched, in all my runs was when we were having a little competion to see who could get the closest. I lost but did get the award for having the biggest pair.
I am an American Whitewater member. One of 6300. There are an estimated 100000 paddlers in the U S. If you are not a member you should join. AW is fighting for our rivers everyday and could use some help.
curtis catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016   #33
Abron Cabron

Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman View Post
In my experiance as a paddle guide for 9 years, it is rare that not paddling, and instead holding on, is the best thing to do. Especially going into any type of reversal. What keeps a paddler in the boat, is bracing in properly with his feet, and using his paddle. Your paddle is a third point of contact, just like your oar blades in an oar rig.
If you hit a reversal in an oar rig, and drop the oars and hold on, most likely your swimming, same is true for paddle boats.
Also, you really do need to be sitting all the way out on the tube as a paddler, this is necesary for affective paddling.
There are exceptions, such as running some water falls, case in point, tunnel in gore canyon, most boaters hold on for that drop.
This is troof. paddle til the last couple seconds, and only when you get to the lip of said drops, then the command to hold on... in my case guiding powerline falls on the lower box is a good example...

I wasnt going to say shit about this, not having been to the gauley yet, but having watched plenty of gauley carnage videos, (yeah P-love!) with and 17 years on the rio, i feel like i can opine on this fairly... and for most of us this is second nature.. but ....
IF you are going big... and everyone in the boat is in for the experience, the point is to go big and dunk your passengers/custies in a safe as possible manner, not leaving rubber behind, or leaving people pinned by rubber to a rock underwater. looks these clowns have no idea how close they might be to that.
i have seen it plenty of times just from the videos i have watched, it seems the locals have the flip and splat lines dialed, to eject their customers downstream. of course results vary...
but, point is there is a way to do things ..... and a way to NOT do them....
and these guys showed poor fucking judgement. they should be on the hook for the price of that boat.. I know i would have been if it were my companies boat. after it was paid up i would then be extra fired for being such a jackass representing a company like that...

Honestly on the real, (as a personal note) because the Rio Grande and the Rocky mountain rivers in general are shallow, rocky and usually cold we rarely ever boat to intentionally wreck people... except very specific spots on each river. (like for instance, souse hole, intentionally or not, has a 50-75% flip rate at high water...) not to mention it seems like 8 /10 customers want to stay in the boat if possible. of course theres always the seasonal rookie carnage and the random jaded loose cannon guide, but in general there is a different style of trips out west. wrong style of riverbed i guess.
that being said, there should still be much more careful screening of customers, especially for high water and class IV... cramming boats with mandatory six loads, fattys, geriatrics, and folks who are two weeks post quadruple bypass surgery or drunk bikers... has caused us all major put -in consternation.

If youre gonna be dumb, you better be tough, and if youre gonna run hero lines, try to make it look like you belong there on the edge of oblivion.
abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016   #34

We're screwed, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmanriver View Post
This is bad PR for Noah's Ark. I did not realize they operated on this river. I thought they were based only on browns canyon on the Arkansas river in Colorado.
I may be mistaken, but I don't believe they're running commercially. I think it's Noah's "guides" using Noah's boats.
Old 09-21-2016   #35

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesimapirate View Post
I may be mistaken, but I don't believe they're running commercially. I think it's Noah's "guides" using Noah's boats.
I believe this is correct. They are not listed as a permitted outfitter by the West Virginia Professional River Outfitters Association, and they say nothing of offering guided trips on any other river than the Arkansas on their website.
Old 09-21-2016   #36

Redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
Quote:
You must have missed the second video.
Virtually no one had an effective stroke or even tried to have one through the rapid.
They were deer in the headlights who couldn't find the time to grab on to something.

Additionally, that third point of contact, the paddle stroke, is not constant unless you keep it in the water.

This thread is all the more reason to be in an oar boat with passengers hanging on. Less carnage and fewer yard sale items.
BilloutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016   #37

Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2002
It blows my mind that those guides would show up with company boats and act like jackasses. Leaving trash behind too? I'm a little surprised the locals have put up with them year after year. What would Ark guides do if the situation was reversed?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
jmacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016   #38

Summit Park, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
Couple of kayaker so loved it, called it the condom boof off sweets
Meatball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016   #39
Misspellingintothefuture!

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by BilloutWest View Post
You must have missed the second video.
Virtually no one had an effective stroke or even tried to have one through the rapid.
They were deer in the headlights who couldn't find the time to grab on to something.

Additionally, that third point of contact, the paddle stroke, is not constant unless you keep it in the water.

This thread is all the more reason to be in an oar boat with passengers hanging on. Less carnage and fewer yard sale items.
I actually did watch the second video, and was merely referring to your previous post, since you said you don't know much about Paddle guiding.

A Good paddle crew can run anything an oar rig can, provided they are actually competent ( a crappy crew will be a shit show, same as a crappy oarsman). Not a proponent to paddle guiding hear, though I ran paddle trips for 9 years, including Royal Gorge mostly for the last of them, I prefer to row.
Just posting accurate Beta on that subject, since it is something I've done a lot of.

Peace dude.
Old 09-21-2016   #40

Redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
Quote:
I actually did watch the second video, and was merely referring to your previous post, since you said you don't know much about Paddle guiding.

A Good paddle crew can run anything an oar rig can, provided they are actually competent ( a crappy crew will be a shit show, same as a crappy oarsman). Not a proponent to paddle guiding hear, though I ran paddle trips for 9 years, including Royal Gorge mostly for the last of them, I prefer to row.
Just posting accurate Beta on that subject, since it is something I've done a lot of.

Peace dude.
My apologies.

With my lack of experience I just thought it was stupid to put people in positions where they are easily thrown from rafts. Regardless of the oar or paddle set-up.

Enjoy your evening.
BilloutWest is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ark