Dildo Rock + Noah's Ark = WTF - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-20-2016   #21

We're screwed, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
No question, Sweets Falls is a location of potential junk shows. But I see it as a 3 choice of junk show.
1. Junk show by choice.
2. Junk show by mistake or miscalculation
3. Junk show by pure lack of knowledge or skill set.

My humble opinion is that the boat in the original video (with Noah's Ark printed on the side) resides in category #3 because they were 100% not in control and came into the falls sideways. I think even if dildo rock wasn't there, they would've been in very bad shape. Hence why I am speaking of Noah's Ark.

Old 09-20-2016   #22

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesimapirate View Post
No question, Sweets Falls is a location of potential junk shows. But I see it as a 3 choice of junk show.
1. Junk show by choice.

My humble opinion is that the boat in the original video (with Noah's Ark printed on the side) resides in category #3 because they were 100% not in control and came into the falls sideways. I think even if dildo rock wasn't there, they would've been in very bad shape. Hence why I am speaking of Noah's Ark.
Just from watching the video it appears to be option number two to me. The guide over corrected and the boat over rotated as the rest of the crew paddled forward and that shot them too far River Right. I guess its in the eye of the beholder on whether that was due to a lack of knowledge or a miscalculation.

Considering that it appears to be a boat full of non-commercial people (nice helmets and type III PFD's), it could honestly be option #1 as well. As people have said, they could have all agreed to try for a meltdown and it backfired and pinned the raft.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016   #23

Redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesimapirate View Post
1. Junk show by choice.

I'll take door #3 also.
While they hit the top of the rapid sideways they were actually spinning.
It appears as if their skill set as a group didn't include rowing in a straight line.

It would be nice if the guy in the right front would post his GoPro footage.

Is this Noah's Ark group so large they are well known for this level of entertainment?
BilloutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016   #24

Hailey, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2003
I cut my teeth on the Upper G for 8 years as a raft guide and video kayaker. Sure there are plenty of people that hit dildo rock every year and no it's not just Noa's Ark. Noa's gets a bad rap because they come out year after year and continually demonstrate irresponsible, reckless, and dangerous behavior both on the river and off (ie: leaving trash on the rocks).

The line at Sweet's is a pretty narrow line with Energizer hole on the right and Dildo on the left. It's not a matter of if you will hit it, but when. I have friends who have been guiding on the Upper Gauley for 20 years and hit Dildo. They know where it is and they have all the experience in the world, but when you run it 4 days a week, multiple times per day for 20+ years eventually you're going to have an off day.

Let's not forget that this was the second raft that Noa's pinned on that same day. The other one was upstream in Tumble Home, the fourth drop in Lost Paddle Rapid. The pic is of the 2nd raft pinned. It eventually came out when the flows dropped and was found by another company downstream pinned again above Conestoga Wagon. The commercial outfitter was able to get it off the rock and tied to the shore to prevent it from becoming a dangerous addition in another rapid.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14379897_10153678503016673_6736871865203682955_o.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	12318  
DriftaBit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016   #25

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
Not a big deal but one paddles a paddle raft and rows an oar rig. Never heard of rowing with a paddle.
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016   #26

C. Springs, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric-Mayhem View Post
Considering that it appears to be a boat full of non-commercial people (nice helmets and type III PFD's), it could honestly be option #1 as well. As people have said, they could have all agreed to try for a meltdown and it backfired and pinned the raft.
I'm going with door number 1. The really nice thing about videos like this one is..... we all now know what can happen if you go sideways into that rock.

Oh to be young again and full of that much vinegar .
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016   #27

San Jose, CA, California
Paddling Since: 1998
This is bad PR for Noah's Ark. I did not realize they operated on this river. I thought they were based only on browns canyon on the Arkansas river in Colorado.

Big mistake with that rap though. Sideways into an obstacle will do it. I like how that thort floated up also.
buckmanriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016   #28

Redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil U. View Post
Not a big deal but one paddles a paddle raft and rows an oar rig. Never heard of rowing with a paddle.
I stand corrected.
mmppphhh
BilloutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016   #29

Hailey, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2003
My good buddy Peyton got some video of the other raft pinned in Tumble Home. He's only shared it on Facebook at this point so I took some screengrabs for now. This is a much better perspective of the raft being shoved underneath the rock. If he moves it to his YouTube channel I'll share the video link.

The last couple of photos are just a friendly reminder to place a firm stance when you throw your rope, or even better to have a friend back you as this Noa's Ark guide found out when he went to rescue his buddies and became a swimmer instead.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-09-20 at 6.33.17 PM.png
Views:	275
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	12319   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-09-20 at 6.33.44 PM.png
Views:	259
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	12320  

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-09-20 at 6.34.04 PM.png
Views:	255
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	12321   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-09-20 at 6.35.42 PM.png
Views:	247
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	12322  

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-09-20 at 6.35.56 PM.png
Views:	240
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	12323  
DriftaBit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016   #30

Rivertown, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 9:45
Quote:
Originally Posted by BilloutWest View Post
That's what they said:

Ace Whitewater has unprecedented 2 deaths on the Gauley River in 3 days

Jack Moe's Mind: Ace Whitewater has unprecedented 2 deaths on the Gauley River in 3 days

=========

So as not to be condescending on either commercial rafters nor other parts of the country:

A deadly season; The deaths of four rafters this summer have taken a toll on Maupin

This is near my home and I'm hoping to put in at Warm Springs just prior to the Eclipse. Stuff happens.
Not that I even like ACE hole guides BUT, this article from 2009 is a bull shit way to try to trash ACE. Two of them died of heart attacks after very short swims. ACE takes about 40000 people down the Gauley every year so that is not to bad of odds. BUY the way I do not particulary like ACE guides, Some are great some think they own the river. I suppose that is every rafting company.
I am an American Whitewater member. One of 6300. There are an estimated 100000 paddlers in the U S. If you are not a member you should join. AW is fighting for our rivers everyday and could use some help.
curtis catman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ark