Dildo Rock + Noah's Ark = WTF - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-19-2016   #11

Westfield, Massachusetts
Paddling Since: 1999
I am not sure if the boat is unpinned yet. But once the release stops the boat should free up if it hasn't lost air. My buddy said it was still there yesterday, and he boofed off the pillowing curling wave it made a over dildo rock.

On another note, the guiding is piss poor. Learn to sit correctly in the back of a raft, learn to read water, and learn not to push pry. Video shows it. Who ever trained that "guide" also should be embarrassed. Wonder if the raft owner is laughing when he gets his pile of hypha lob back, if he ever does.

FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016   #12

Rivertown, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 9:45
It deflated itself Saturday night. As of 2 oclock Monday it is still on Dildo rock. The flow from the dam only drops to 800cfs on Gauley weekends. Tonight it will drop to 375.
I am an American Whitewater member. One of 6300. There are an estimated 100000 paddlers in the U S. If you are not a member you should join. AW is fighting for our rivers everyday and could use some help.
curtis catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016   #13

I have been watching Noah's peeps year after year eat shit on the Gauley. Every year, every day I see them it is a shit show. Fayettenam people laugh at them, the Pit people know them, the pussies from DC know they are the crash test dummies.
Go big or go home I guess.

I have been at this game for 20+....... Warm forgiving water on the G. With lots of scary spots.

I don't like to or enjoy watching people eat shit. I can find adventure without misadventure.
nemi west is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016   #14

We're screwed, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I feel like every time I've seen Noah's Ark in CO they have those little single bay frames for each boat. Do their "guides" ever have to learn to truly paddle guide?
Old 09-20-2016   #15

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I've never been on the Gauley or been to Gauleyfest, but there are copious number of videos showing other raft company's with idiot guides and epic carnage. Maybe not the total carnage and idiocy shown in this video though.

I imagine most of the carnage videos show local companies and not just Colorado transplants that come out for a week of fun. For the record, I have no connection to Noah's Ark, I just find it funny that most of you are singling them out as being the inexperienced idiots when there is ample evidence that the Gauley seems to be filled with them if youtube videos are any evidence.

Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016   #16

Redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
I'll go ahead and put my foot in.

Don't know much about paddle rafting.

BUT
That constant manta about sitting on the tubes to get the most effective strokes AND having to row all the way through sure is dumb.

When there is a wall at the bottom and its a rapid that has a history of dumping people ..... NO!

Loosing stroke effectiveness happens.
Higher less secure positioning increases risk of boaters coming out knocking fellow boaters out of the raft.
Not using hands with opposable thumbs to hang on to the raft makes me sad.

========

I'm gonna say prior to impact secure your paddle flat in the river side tube against the outside of the boat, perhaps also grabbing a skirt line and utilizing that inboard hand to hold fast.
If space allows drop to your knees for a more secure center of gravity and allow your legs a chance to hold you in.

In the above video only one raft flips, and none in the main rapid, but about half the paddle rafters are thrown or knocked out of the boat.

It is as if the Guide Mantra to row threw was designed to have MORE excitement and not a safer posture.

=======

I'll take my beating on-line.
BilloutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016   #17

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Good call Mayhem, kind of a junk show all around.

It reminds me of that jump under the chairlift (pick your mountain, there's one) where all the grom's line up and huck it, only to land on the up hill side of the divot and explode - and they repeat it every run.......

It all just looks painful.
Old 09-20-2016   #18

Redmond, Oregon
That riding the bull thing at the 2:00 mark in the video.

How common and advisable is that?

Should any rafters have leg(s) outside the boat going into a rapid?
Old 09-20-2016   #19

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
People don't raft the upper g to hold on to the sissy straps.
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016   #20

Redmond, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2andcannoli View Post
People don't raft the upper g to hold on to the sissy straps.
That's what they said:

Ace Whitewater has unprecedented 2 deaths on the Gauley River in 3 days

Jack Moe's Mind: Ace Whitewater has unprecedented 2 deaths on the Gauley River in 3 days

=========

So as not to be condescending on either commercial rafters nor other parts of the country:

A deadly season; The deaths of four rafters this summer have taken a toll on Maupin

This is near my home and I'm hoping to put in at Warm Springs just prior to the Eclipse. Stuff happens.

Tags
ark