Dildo Rock + Noah's Ark = WTF - Page 10 - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-08-2016   #91

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Would I make fun of a Muslim guide...probably a little, maybe call him halal or something.

Would I make fun of a Islamic based recreation company...absolutely! They be running at the undercuts and sieves, trying to find those virgins. Swimming in traditional garb! Overnights with a live lamb, for that really fresh, cooler free meals. O the hilarity!

Honestly though, if we could just get a special "themed" company for every annoying or non tipping group out there, hell I might be bothered to get back into guiding.

k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016   #92

Sylva, Western North Carolina
Paddling Since: 1981
Dildo Rock + Noah's Ark = WTF

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2andcannoli View Post
Would I make fun of a Muslim guide...probably a little, maybe call him halal or something.

Would I make fun of a Islamic based recreation company...absolutely! They be running at the undercuts and sieves, trying to find those virgins. Swimming in traditional garb! Overnights with a live lamb, for that really fresh, cooler free meals. O the hilarity!

Honestly though, if we could just get a special "themed" company for every annoying or non tipping group out there, hell I might be bothered to get back into guiding.

Outstanding, I approve! 👍

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Old 10-08-2016   #93
addict

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
All this grand standing, my shit don't stink, rafting commentary is off the chain. First of all, it's rafting. It's pretty much like driving a school bus down the river. Some Noah's dudes got crushed and wrapped a raft at a drop that sees tons of action. Yeah, the video shows them looking pretty green. Fuck it, that happens.

I ejected at Dildo on my first Gauley trip. Big deal. After that, I knew where that shit was. On other occasions I have tubed the meltdown line, taken fucked up creek boat cave lines, sank mystery moves, swam through an undercut, witnessed cpr and helicopter rescues, and had some of the best river days ever, all on the Upper G. It's a dynamic river. You have to get out there and learn it. It takes a while to develop skillz.

Lots of commenters here sound like stereotypical Colorado cool aids. Get off your high horse. Noahs on the Arkansas crank out more safe commercial trips than any other company in the state. They showed up in WV and got owned. That shit happens. Go to the Futa. Get owned. Go to the NF payette. Get owned. Go to Minnesota. Get owned and cold.

Judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from lack of judgement.

Get wild.

tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016   #94

cedar city, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacn View Post
I can't help but wonder if we would be poking fun at Jewish, Hindu, or Muslim river guides in this forum? Is it because we're from a historically Christian culture that we feel entitled to mock these guides beyond their on river shortcomings? Picking on NA for what is obviously their lifestyle is lame. That's my point. They call themselves Noah's Ark. They aren't hiding it. Clearly they appeal to certain clients and I assume they're proud of their religious community. More power to them. I don't go to any church besides the mountains & rivers. I'm not trying to climb on any soapbox here or take a silly thread too seriously. I care about the river community & like it or not, NA is a part of the community. Just because someone is an easy target doesn't justify taking the shot...

I have always considered "punching up" to be fair. That said, you make a fair argument for decency. Thanks for the reminder.
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016   #95
Misspellingintothefuture!

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Wow, just traveled halfway across the country, ran a new river, saw the redwoods, this thread is like the energizer Bunny!!
Funny video though, and always fun to pick on Noah's.
USAFA is thankful for the break to!
Old 10-08-2016   #96

Front Range, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by atg200 View Post
I don't think the Noah's Ark folks are able to evolve, but maybe they'll be able to intelligently design better guides.
Bump!
iSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016   #97

Rivertown, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 9:45
[QUOTE=kenkruger;446431]Hey all, just wanted to let you know. We, here in WV, have been in contact with Noah's Ark regarding this. Chuck, the owner, has been very gracious and humble, and is horrified at the behavior of his guides. He's already had a thorough debriefing with everyone involved, and is taking steps to make sure this doesn't happen again. Hopefully they will be hooking up with some locals here for their pilgrimage to the Gauley next fall, and learning some lines and doing some training.

In the meantime, let's cool it with the hate-fest. I, more than most people, know that it's way too easy to be an asshole on the internet. The NA folks are humbled by this, and are more than willing to learn and evolve. We all go through a learning curve, and that's about the best we can hope for any of us.

Peace out.[/QUOTE

No doubt, lasts year Songer wrapped a raft on tumble home. No one said a word. Those dudes from Washington wrapped one at sweets. The only reason anyone is still talking about this is because Noahs Beleive in God. Well what I know is l don't hate anything l don't believe in. There is no logic in it so if you hate God than you must feel he slighted you in some way. There fore believing in him. I am not saying you should or should not. What l am saying is that if that were a boat load of lesbian, gay, transsexual guides you all would not still be talking about this because of fear of offending someone. Have a nice day. One more Gauley Weekend, come on out and run it.
I am an American Whitewater member. One of 6300. There are an estimated 100000 paddlers in the U S. If you are not a member you should join. AW is fighting for our rivers everyday and could use some help.
curtis catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016   #98

cedar city, Utah
I think the two statements at the top of the page show the audience you are critiquing, the ones still digging in, don't have too many sacred cows. This forum has plenty of history punching below the waist against the communities you just described. As someone who admitted a comfort for punching up, which I think jokes against American evangelicals are, I respected the other appeals to decency. Others have as well.
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016   #99

San Jose, CA, California
Paddling Since: 1998
Perhaps this is getting a little too out of hand. Nearing 15K in views that a lot of traffic for this forum.
buckmanriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016   #100

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1982
Having run the Gauley for 20 years, ('84-'04) I miss it.....till I saw the Pillow Talk video. Jeesus, what a sh*tshow it's become. I'm sure it's still fun, but I definitely don't feel the need to go back for Gauley Fest. Maybe a Spring run and with any luck, a Meadow run thrown in. Good times.

Curtis' drift boat run was f-n' awesome!
tmacc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ark