Old 04-11-2016   #1
durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Conejos River

Has anyone been float fishing below Platoro Dam on the Conejos in recent years? I'm wanting to check it out with a 10.5fter set up for fishing but not sure of which sections are feasible. Tight lines

fishermunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016   #2
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I have been whitewater kayaking on it in recent years, and I wouldn't suggest the upper sections for float fishing.... I assume your referring to the lower stretches, but I would not suggest taking a raft above the confluence of the Conejos and it's south fork. That's where we usually hike out with kayaks, and it's not a good launch. Hopefully someone can provide you with better beta for the lower reaches, but I have heard people talk about barb wire down there....

GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016   #3
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1985
Conejos in IKs ?

I'd also like to check out any reach of the Conejos with IKs, and maybe a 12' baby-cat. I don't mind portaging a few fences but do need to confirm access points.
The lower stretch along the highway looks to be easily navigable, but at least one diversion dam shows up on Google maps.
Rojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016   #4
Corrales, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2005
I've paddled the Conejos from where it crosses CO17 down to the Mogote campground. First couple of miles is a float, then things pick up about half way thru the run with wave trains, blind corners, and a slot/drop rapid just above the Aspen Glade campground. It was fun. (1100 cfs) No dams or wire, a few avoidable strainers and lots of private property.

Put in is at the Ponderosa Campground RV park on CO17, take out is the fisherman's parking at the Mogote campground. Easy bicycle shuttle.

Have you tried the Rio Grande by Creede through Wagon Wheel Gap and the Palisades CG? Lots of fishing rigs on that stretch.
southbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016   #5
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Thanks Southbound!
That's just what I needed to commit to setting up a Conejos trip this spring.
I've not done the upper Rio Grande yet, but did set the bar high after a 2014 trip on the Gunnison from Chucker trail during the hatch.
I'd just looking for something closer with easier logistics.
Old 04-12-2016   #6
Abron Cabron
Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
Scott, I am definitely interested in checking out the pinnacle gorge section. its only @ 3 hrs from santa fe. also EF San juan is same region too, maybe as a quick two day. Apparently I have less time for paddling then i used to but I have been wanting to hit it for a while.
abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016   #7
Albuquerque, New Mexico

I plan to set something up for May 14-15 and will keep you posted Abron.
Probably Piedra, maybe Conejos, depending on flows and group.
I have only done a portion of the East Fork SJ and would like to continue on down to the confluence, maybe even on into Pagosa.
Old 04-12-2016   #8
Avon, of mind?
Sounds like good floating - let us know how it goes.
Keep it simple. :)
Beav212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016   #9
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2011
Here comes the rif-raf

Sounds fun to me.
Issip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016   #10
Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
hey Rojo, we have a small group of Ik's out of Montrose, Co. that plans on coming that way first part of May also, to run the upper Piedra, upper SanJuan, and Pinnacle Gorge of Conejos all three. They are all close enough to enjoy and make the trip so memorable, getting a triple dose of new runs for all of us. Keep us updated on exact dates maybe we could hook up. Gunther at 970-497-6512. Thanks

gunnerman is offline   Reply With Quote