Old 07-11-2013   #1
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001

Last night I wasted a bunch of time reading an incredibly stupid thread on Mountain Project. It got me thinking about these "communities" we have around our sports and how I'm not really all that fond of the climbing community in spite of how much I like climbing. When people ask if I'm a climber I don't say yes, I usually say something like "I climb a little". But when someone asks me if I'm a kayaker or a boater, without hesitation I say "You're damn right I am!" So to my point... I love the river community. Out of all the outdoor sports I think kayakers and rafters are some of the most genuine, kind, and likable folks I have met and continue to meet. So thank you, all of you, for being part of this kick-ass community. And smile today (outwardly or inwardly) because you are pretty fuckin' cool.

That's all, carry on.

JHimick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013   #2
The Russian
SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Screw you! Go climb a hill you climber!

JK for majority I have found the river community to be quite pleasant, but there are still some aholes around that I wouldn't want to go boating with again.

-ALEX [ youtube ][ my boat ][ ]
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013   #3
Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
As with most things in life I think you just mellow and learn to really appreciate the simple things around. I just turned 55 and I just enjoy paddling period. Overall kayaking is a youthful sport dominated by young people, which quite often comes across by the language used on some of the threads in this community. Most of the rafters dont need alot of beer or adrenaline, to get the same appreciation for nature. That's why I bought an IK and enjoy both groups equally , and love teaching the youth the all-around treasures of nature.
gunnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013   #4
Old Guy in a PFD
Tucson, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1967
When I rejoined the community in 1973 (school got in the way) I met a lot of very nice, but somewhat "unusual" people. They were consistently hairy, easy going until they got to the important part (usually dealing with safety or booze), and as open, genuine and honest a bunch as I had ever met.

We ran rivers, laughed, drank, pissed each other off, and helped each other out as needed. I'm sure we played a big role in setting the standards for the commercial rafting industry and for rafting in general.

We became a band of brothers you might say.

We were Rocky Mountain River Expeditions.

I drifted off (moved) in 1981 and contact became somewhat spotty, but those years remain a big part of my happy place.

And now, some 35 years later we are having a reunion. I'll get reacquainted with People I haven't seen since 1980 and meet their spouses, kids and (really?) grand kids (!). And sadly, we'll raise our sierra cups to a few who have fallen along the way (RIP Chicken Raper).

Indeed; there's something unique about a river rat. And something special about being one. Your life is forever changed once you've been exposed.
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013   #5
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Nice post. I tend to agree. I climb and mountain bike also, but tend to be less involved with both of those "communities" simply because the crowd is bigger and less friendly to it's own.... cheers to all the Buzzards out there (especially the ones that read but never post), and to another great season!
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013   #6
Plunk your magic twanger!
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
My wife commented a few weeks ago that we meet someone new practically every time we float. Our circle of friends keeps expanding and now extends from Boulder to Grand Junction.

Cheers boaters!

Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote