Old 08-28-2014   #11
Golden, CO
Paddling Since: 1856
PFDs should be mandatory for kids at these whitewater parks. In Golden I actually saw a baby get tossed from a tube and swim one of the drops. Luckily it popped back up and was recued (didn't even cry actually) but it could have been a drowning.

FrankC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014   #12
Charleston, West Virginny
Paddling Since: 1996
Originally Posted by The Kooz View Post
Wyoming has an issue with water safety. A Fish and Game ranger told me (while handing out tickets for no pfds on children) that more people die in Wyoming on the water than while hunting.

This doesn't seem surprising at all to me, in fact it seems right.

I know a handful of people who float/whitewater/fish or otherwise spend alot of time on the river....and I know a handful who have lost their lives in water.

...however everyone I know hunts, and not a single one has been injured worse than a broken arm.

2kanzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014   #13
Glen Vegas, Florida
Paddling Since: 92
What need to do is damn that river. Create jobs for now and let are children figure out how to clean up our mess. Maybe the good folks in Casper would like a Nuclear Power Plant.
Pizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014   #14
pnw, Washington
Same thing happened when a boy died in Pueblo at the WW park. I talked to a city councilmen and several of us went down and presented to the city council. As a result there are signs requiring PFD's and they changed the jurisdiction to make it easier for Pueblo cops to write tickets.
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014   #15
vancouver, Washington
Originally Posted by Learch View Post
We just had a family of 4 drown in a lake close to my house. Pretty sad to hear about any preventable drownings.
Originally Posted by BoilermakerU View Post
And I don't imagine they plan on draining that lake just because of the incident...

I'm coming to drain this lake, and there's nothing anyone can do to stop me and my armed guards.
commanderfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014   #16
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2011
So a little about the river. It comes from a lake, the flow is very much controlled by the state as Nebraska owns the water. There are signs before the river enters the park warning about the dangers. The biggest problem is people float the section above the park in inner tubes and decide to go through the park most of them have had a few drinks in them by this point and do not wear any form of PFDs. I and other kayakers have made comments to them about the dangers. They pretty well ignore us and go about their day
Puddlcruiser81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014   #17
Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
I guide on the North Platte river in casper and have run my driftboat down the whitewater park. yes it does get used as a swimming pool from many of the locals. most locals have no clue about river safety and jump right on in with the walmart float mattress. Every year someone dies on the river do to lack of respect for moving water. Closing down the park is not going to happen because fine groups such as the Platte River revival coalition continue to keep river projects moving forward and not backwards. They have political ties in casper and are well respected for their effort to bring a $23 million river restoration to life. Casper wants very much to improve the trout habitat through town and keep fly fishers spending money in casper instead of Alcova. They will not let a whitewater park fatality detracked from their overall goal.I thing what will happen is more PR of water safety through town and that is the right direction to go.

The river fluctuates on average from 500cfs to 4000cfs and is regulated flow at alcova dam. high water years have had it at 8500cfs and is a very real danger through town and up stream for that matter. Other than the whitewater park it is a class II from alcova to past Douglas Wy.Glennrock power station is where boaters must exit as the water diversion is not runnable. about 1mile down there is a put in and you can float all the way to Glendo Reservoir with a class III section before it hits Glendo.

skico is offline   Reply With Quote

ark, casper