Old 06-05-2012   #11
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Most camp chairs I find to be uncomfortable for long periods - they round my shoulders forward. For years I have used a Kelsyus Backpack Chair. I got the mesh version to replace the original a couple years ago and it broke on the first trip - reading the reviews online it sounds like quality control was an issue. My older one is beat up but still completely useable and very comfortable. For a light folding chair this is still my first option.

Recently I was looking for a new camp chair and sat in a REI Comfort LTG Armchair - super comfy - I almost took a nap in the store - and it includes a moveable pillow for either back/lumber support or it slides up to be used as a pillow. Mesh down the center for quicker dry time. It folds to a somewhat flat 31x25 and it's heavier at 12 lbs. At $60 it's not cheap. But I figure it will rig in my gear pile easy enough and it seems durable - time will tell. Besides REI stands behind stuff really well so if it breaks it goes back and I get something different.

raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012   #12
San Juan Islands, Washington
I have the mesh model of these and really like them,

Camp Chair < Chairs < Furniture | ALPS Mountaineering
I just wish they folded up smaller

tomrefried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012   #13
Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
I recommend someone sew me (at a reasonable price) a chair sleeve for a paco/silverback/aire landing pad type pad to make it into a lounge chair similar to what is availabe for a thermarest pad chair. Maybe these are availabe, but I haven't seen one yet.
shappattack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012   #14
cedar city, Utah
Holiday has someone who makes them crazy creek like setups from paco pads. Not sure who.

I have settled on Travel Chair's "Larry Chair". They sit lower than most but they provide much better support than the other variations. They pack smaller and, more importantly, they lack the universal cheap joints that always fail on the classic chairs we all seem to use. Much beefier system and I like their mesh which seems to dry much faster during the fringe season.

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012   #15
Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
As a destroyer of chairs (3 on an overnight westwater extravaganza ) i have settled on the nrs chair. The tubing is bigger/thicker & i like the mesh, as opposed to fabric. It dries super quick (handy when its pouring or you are prone to spilling stuff).

Spendy at around $50 or so but i haven't put a dent in it yet. When my gf finally blows her lounger out we'll replace it with a second nrs chair. I'm sold on em.

I'm pretty tall, so your lower back support needs will be different than mine.
Never get out of the boat
MountainMedic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012   #16
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I love my Lafuma. Perfect height for sitting around camp, playing cards, and it reclines moderately for lounging. It packs flat and it's lite as a feather. Not cheap, but also doesn't bust after one trip. I've had mine for three summers and it's going strong.*:* Aluminum folding chairs

Of course my all time favorite chair for relaxation on the river is the Travel Chair zero gravity lounger aka lounge lizard. Big and heavy as hell, but Sooooo comfy. Folks always give us shit about bringing these monsters on the river, but as soon as we turn ours backs these same folks are in our chairs sound asleep. The next year, those same folks brought their own on the river
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012   #17
Oregon City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1972
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post
I'm planning to replace my old camp chairs and was wondering if anyone has recommendations on new ones. Particularly chairs that can provide some support for the lower back.
This Coleman chair is comfortable, very sturdy and available at just about any sporting goods store. The only weak spot is the tabletop. It is thin, and the laminate layer is prone to bubble after six or seven years.

Coleman Deck Chair With Table
The Mogur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012   #18
thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post
I'm planning to replace my old camp chairs and was wondering if anyone has recommendations on new ones. Particularly chairs that can provide some support for the lower back.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Andy, just pop those two set screws out of that DRE rowing seat and haul that baby to camp. They work great, plus if you have a few too mannny you do not have far to fall.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012   #19
Bailey, Colorado
Originally Posted by Davey W. View Post
How about looking at: Strongback Chairs &mdash; Welcome
I checked them out. Nice. The Elite are on backorder and looking at a July delivery on them.
Beaver Whisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012   #20
Posts: 311*:*RSX MESH Recliner - Ocean Blue RSX MESH Recliner - Ocean Blue I bought the original Lafuma, now copied by many, for a Grand trip in 2000 . Since the its been down the Grand 4 other times and countless other multiday trips. After 12 years it sits on my deck and will go again on the Grand in December. Spend a little more and forget about deciding what your next chair will be when the Walmart chair craps out on you.

mrkyak is offline   Reply With Quote