Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2002
Aaanyway. Back to swimming Class V

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

jmacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #32
Flagstaff, Arizona
There's bound to be some classic first Ds to be had still...

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #33
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
That board looks like it's in production by Fluid. Are they still making them and if so, are they importing to the US?

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #34
Flagstaff, Arizona
Fluid still advertises the Anvil in print media like Kayak Session. I don't know the status of getting one now that they aren't distributing in the US any more. It definitely looks like fun!

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #35
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
The dude riding the board runs a website called Face Level and he has it advertised for sale for a totally and completely reasonable price of $2998. I'm hoping that is just a place holder price while he waits for delivery on some, since for that price I don't think he'll have a ton of takers.

Riverboards Archives - Face Level Industries

The original alternative to the Anvil is the Rip Board, which I've seen on rivers for at least a decade....

RipBoard - riverboards, riverboarding gear, wetsuits & more. seen in this video...not sure they are doing them justice.

I think my favorite shot was the oar rig with gear pilled up so high you couldn't see the boatmen.

Anyways, the Rip boards vary in price from $359-$500 depending on how thick the plastic is layed up and such. Seems more reasonable. I saw one on Craigslist the other day for $175 including a helmet and a pair of fins.

Oh, and they are based in Denver too, so if you are local you could go pick one up. I've seen them at the Golden Whitewater Park quite a bit.

The foam ones like the Carlson and Kern ones seem awfully expensive ($400) for what is essentially a piece of plastic glued to a piece of foam. Seems like you could make one yourself for less then $100...but maybe I'm missing something.
Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #36
No more Anvils in the US. Just like their whitewater line, it's not available in the US. Ripboards are a nice board for recreational III swimming, but not for the big game. They're not quite shaped right. Think sit-on-top balance vs. kayak. Rocky Mountain Riverboards used to make a nice product, but there's not much for options in the US. Making your own is doable, I've made them before. However they will cost more that $100 bucks Electric-Mayhem. If you do a shi*t job or don't know what you're doing you could die. Really, a Carlson is fine for most people.
"The Dude" running facelevel is Josh Galt. He is the reason the Anvil exists, and has swam more whitewater than any boarder out there. However, the website is past date and doesn't work. We are kind of in a holding pattern for the next step, no one in the states makes hydrospeeds or specific suits. Don't be fooled, ripboards suits are NOT PADDED or river-board specific. You need full leg armor and lots of aquaseal. Of course, the French (Hydrospeed - VADE RETRO) are the only ones making real gear. You can even buy the one that was used to swim the entire Amazon from start to finish. Also, buy fins. In the US we use short fins, the Euros use dive fins.
The Kiwis running a water fall (V) actually makes a good point. If you strap a custy to a foam plate and huck them down a drop, is it class V?
phillersk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #37
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
Even though Okere Falls is 7 meters, I think it's still considered Class IV on a kayaking scale. The commercial outfitters, of course, call it Class V. I've run the falls in the front of a topo duo, which was exciting.

craven_morhead is online now   Reply With Quote

class v