Old 06-01-2015   #1
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Bogan Canyon wood situation?

Anyone been down Bogan Canyon within the past couple days? What is the wood situation like? Thanks.

smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015   #2
Paddling Since: 96
Its not clear to me exactly where Bogan Canyon is but... We paddled from the quarry (Yule) road to the bottom of what I was told was a rapid called "Herniater". Herniater is a couple hundred yards below the second culverts and not far from Redstone (one mile+?). The road is rio left at that point and the rapid runs at the base of a red rock wall on rio right.That was this weekend. There were a couple trees in the first couple miles but they were manageable although at least one we slipped under on rio right and it probably won't go with much more water than we had this weekend. I think we portaged one other in a braided section. I don't recall any trees of consequence below the 314 bridge. Where is Bogan Canyon proper?

Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015   #3
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Yep. 2 river wide trees between Marble and the bridge above Bogan Flats. They would be impassable now if they haven't shifted. They were full size pines and will take quite a bit of water to flush downstream. Fun run.
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015   #4
Thanks for the info. Hope you had a good run. Bogan canyon proper is pretty much where the County road to Marble crosses the river down to Bogan campground, where the main rapids are. I'm wanting to run from the "airport" to the campground.
Old 06-01-2015   #5
Thanks lmyers
Old 06-02-2015   #6
I'm wrong 50% of the time
RFV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
Bogan bumped up to raftable flows today. Would love to get in there. Thursday after work I might have time for a wood mission so that it can be run to Redstone on Saturday (hoping flows stay over 1k till then). I have a small saw (husky 440e - 18in) that can be taken in a drybag if we have to float down to the wood.

Peter B, you have any interest in bringing some young guns up to help? Anybody else?

Claimer: Someone that makes a claim that they have been there and done that, can do anything you can do better than you. I hate "claimers"
brendodendo is offline   Reply With Quote