Old 10-17-2015   #11
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Here's a great option for whitewater.

I love my K-3, but this one is a great price point. There are lots of Water Resistant lenses that go with it as well.

K-50 | Ricoh Imaging

mhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015   #12
Minturn, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
If you don't mind film, you can't beat the Nikonos.

RiversRohrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015   #13
Abron Cabron
Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
+1 for Nikon coolpix Aw130. i have tested it pretty thoroughly. i would say i pretty much always have it in my pfd.
Nikon COOLPIX AW130 Rugged Digital Camera | Waterproof, Shockproof, Freezeproof Camera
I keep it in a coozy in my front PFD pocket, secured with a mini coldshut to its leash.(or a mini nite-ize locking gear biner would work) Nite Ize LSBM-01-2R3 S-Biner Micro Lock, Black, 2-Pack: Home Improvement
literally pull, point and shoot, even in the middle of the river above a drop or elsewhere in less then recommended circumstance. It has shot many, many great photos for me. for what it is. for a point n shoot, it exceeds. of course the zoom is limited, and all that, but battery life is great, at least several days out between charges, its waterproof, durable,takes great video, and is reliable.. and takes no switching when your settings are pre-set.
one obvious negative is no lenscover, but that is one less thing to get gunked up with sand like my old olympus did. (that camera took crap pictures and was often fogged on the lense. good riddance.)
My lens cover fix (at the Salt put-in on the fly) was the coozy in the greenjacket pocket.and it works so well i never replaced it.

all that being said, i would love a legit compact DSLR in a Pelican box to start capturing phenomenal imagery. some Lmyers shit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0397.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	10612   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0380.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	10613  

abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015   #14
Minturn, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
There are also waterproof housings available for Fuji's X system cameras which are pretty awesome.

That being said, the whitewater photography companies I've worked for or encountered on the river used non-waterproof cameras which we/they either transported in Watershed bags (they make a padded insert even for using with cameras) or Pelican cases.
RiversRohrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015   #15
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2008

What's your budget?

What's more important-- convenience or image quality?

Do you need it to be waterproof or splash proof?

If you're willing to consider a compact camera and dive or splash housing, you'll have a lot more options in terms of focal length, image quality and performance.
gringoanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015   #16
Logan, Utah
Check out the mirror-less. Only a few waterproof. Nikon AW1, for example.
ski_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015   #17
Coastal, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1987
Nikon AW1 has a bad history of going fritz as soon as it gets near the water
GreenWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015   #18
Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I've got an Olympus TG-2 and it's great. But definitely not DSLR quality shots. Got turned onto the Olympus OM-D series with its weatherproof construction. Amazing photo quality, and unless you take it on a long swim with you, should stand up to anything you can throw at it.
powrider686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015   #19
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Originally Posted by tj@cu View Post
I personally think that for whitewater to get any thing that good you should avoid the waterproof cameras and just go with a better quality dslr (you can get entry level models for like $500 or less if you buy used) they take so much better photos, most of the point and shoot action shots are complete garbage.
I have started carrying a DSLR if I want to capture anything other than snapshots for Facebook. I went with the Canon SL1 which is the smallest APS-C sensor DSLR on the market. You can find the bodies for approximately $400 and the kit lenses and fixed focal length pancakes are fairly cheap. A travel tripod and watershed bag are pretty much mandatory equipment as well.

Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Body | Canon Online Store
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015   #20
Boulder, Colorado
Sitting in the PFD pocket category, I've been happy with the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5. #2 waterproof camera in the Wirecutter reviews with better video (they say). Battery life seems very good. GPS, blah, blah, blah.

yojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote