Old 02-22-2015   #1
SW, Colorado
Anyone travel overseas for Orthopaedic surgery?

Hey all,

Just curious who has gone overseas for surgery...

My pending knee surgery is going to cost me at least $10 grand even with my Rocky Mountain insurance.

Pondering the merits of going someplace like Thailand or India for the surgery, and making a vacation of it.

So, who has gone where for what, and what did it cost, was it a good call???

fella is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015   #2
Colorado, Colorado
know someone who went to mexico for a surgery. About a year later she is having complications and no doctors here will touch her because of where the procedure was done.

BeaterBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015   #3
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I had rotator cuff surgery in Thailand in October of last year. I live in Africa where my medical options in country are limited. Bangkok is a 9 hour flight versus 14 to D.C. I used Bumrungrad which is the premier medical tourism facility in Thailand and, quite possibly, the world. Very efficient and equipment was the latest. I received top notch care. My insurance covered everything, but I think the cost was close to 10 grand - I do not know what it would have cost in the US. As for making a vacation out of it, I was laid completely for several days and after that went out for just a few hours a day. I was there for 2 days before surgery and a week after and none of it felt like a vacation.
kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015   #4
Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Seems like an all around bad idea to me...

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
DoubleYouEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015   #5
jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1976
you get what you pay for. find a good orthopedist where you live. recovery takes time and could become complicated. take your time paying it off. most of all,stay positive.

location unknown
stuntsheriff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015   #6
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1982
Check out Belgium. I read an article in the NYT about a guy from Aspen that went there for hip replacement, but I don't know if you're going to be able to get it done for much cheaper out of pocket. Having had shoulder and knee surgery, having a good PT is as important as the orthopedist. I know I wasn't in much of a vacationing mood after the shoulder surgery. Knee was arthoscopic, so no big deal.
tmacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015   #7
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Check Belgium and other Euros. I had a client who saved $40K on a hip resurfacing. Do some internet research with the precise procedure you want. They'll quote you. Good luck.
BCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015   #8
SW, Colorado
Originally Posted by BCJ View Post
Check Belgium and other Euros. I had a client who saved $40K on a hip resurfacing. Do some internet research with the precise procedure you want. They'll quote you. Good luck.
Will do! Thx
fella is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015   #9
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
I work in Ortho in Denver and I have heard cases where a patient goes out of the country for surgery. What you need to understand is that most of the docs in these places are American trained and they probably went to an American university. From what I know they provide equal if not better care. Medical tourism is a huge business and I'm sure the results are similar to surgeries done in the US. The important thing is just to talk to your American doctor and insurance to make sure that follow up care and future complications can be handled by them in the US. I know the docs I work with have a guy who had a surgery in Indian a few years back and now they are doing another surgery on him. Not bc something was wrong, just that he needs another surgery. One of the doctors asked if the surgery in India was the problem and the head Doc said that his surgery in India was top notch and that nobody should assume that they provide any less quality of care.
Treswright3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015   #10
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I'm sure that you can get decent orthopedic surgery in many other countries, but do you really expect to get it for less than $10,000? Including travel?
$10,000 seems reasonable to me for surgery that really enhances you mobility.

jmack is offline   Reply With Quote