Old 08-15-2014   #21
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1979
Roll o cot

Just got off this week. Slept directly on the mesh of the roll o cot set up on the boat. Woke up cold most nights and had to pull an unzipped light bag over me. We had some 60 degree nights. But even in extreme heat, a wet sheet over you with mesh under kept air flowing. Sleeping on the boat is at least 10 degrees cooler.

catsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014   #22
Denver-ish, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Originally Posted by Preston H. View Post

Nipple beers. Several times each day, stand in the water up to your nipples for the time it takes to you to leisurely consume an entire beer. This will lower core temp and elevate mood.
Probably the best thing I've read all day. I never used emoticons, but...

yesimapirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014   #23
Los Alamos, New Mexico
I don't actually own a cot, I borrowed one for that trip and I don't remember much about it, so I don't have any useful info. Sorry!
greenlm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014   #24
Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Roll a cot is by far the best. Lightweight, well built, and comfortable. Spring for the wide version. With cold weather I place a Paco pad over the cot and it is toasty warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
firejenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014   #25
Jenks, Oklahoma
On the cot question. After a bunch of cot purchases, on the advice of a seasoned Grand Canyon boater, I purchased a roll a cot. Bomber design and construction. One of if not the best purchases ever of camping gear. As mentioned previously, in the heat, sleep on the mesh with a wet cotton sheet for coolness. If it is cold, add a paco pad or a thermarest. I have and use either Paco or Thermarest depending on the trip. In a raft I use the Paco, in a canoe it is usually the Thermarest.

My first Grand Canyon trip was in mid august. When it rained it was cool sleeping for sure. We just pulled a tarp over head and enjoyed the cool time. Most nights I slept on a pad on the river's damp sand with feet close to or in the water. Be prepared to move up or down the bank depending on the "tide". If beach is short and steep, just get close as it makes sense, normally there is cool air within 4 or 5 feet of the water level.

Plenty of great tips already posted on other things to bring to make for a more comfortable trip.

Be prepared for the blistering hot sun during daytime lunch stops. The hot sun can actually burn bare feet. If in kayak or raft, keep teva's binered in close by, maybe light sox for the feet's sun protection. A nice wide brim cotton hat (dip it in water for more coolness) is a must. Same procedure for a light weight cotton long sleeve shirt. I like the fishermen's models as they have plenty of pockets for sun screen, lip protection, sun glasses, hand/foot salves etc.

Be aware that the August sun seems to me to be extra powerful. Just a few extra minutes of bare skin (or even wet or dry cotton garments) can leave most of us with a painful burn that makes the rest of the trip very uncomfortable. Carry plenty of aloe plus sun screen.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014   #26
Fort Fun, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
I loved sleeping on my raft in the summer. I had a hatch for the front bay, brought a piece of wood to fit over the footwell space, and had two poles for my megamid - running each pole out to an oarlock. The key is choosing a camp that does not have a big eddy surge.

As we said earlier - depending on the monsoons, it can get downright chilly at times as well.

trevko is online now   Reply With Quote