Old 05-06-2016   #11
cedar city, Utah

This graph tells most of the story for the Dolores. It never peaked near average for snowpack but has been never dropped as fast either for the month of April due to some of the recent storms. April recharged some of the loss from Feb-March but not close to enough. By watching the reservior the last three weeks it was obvious a spill was not going to happen.

Its been another odd year in the SW. These relatively warm-to-hot midwinter spells are killing snowpack and therefor our river runoffs.

Haven't been down the Dolores in far too long. Can't wait for a year when I can see Ponderosa Gorge again. Just not sure when that is going to be since our "good" years in this region are still leaving us 25% below average.

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016   #12
SW, Colorado

I'd be willing to wager that the present snowpack has been inaccurately gauged, the reservoir will reach full pool, and the Dam crew will have to spill water.

The spillage, however, will come in the form of a poorly planned slow leak that never reaches "boatable flows".

fella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016   #13
cedar city, Utah
I cannot account for the intent of the reservoir managers nor predict potentially nefarious choices.

That said, at least for the NRCS graphs above, I do believe they measure the drainage the same year-in-year-out. There is always a chance that the long-term monitoring of the basin will not accurately reflect melt-off into the reservoir, similar to criticisms we see with the Ark Basin reports. That said, it would seem the general annual picture remains accurate.

Inflow is definitely increasing and therefor affecting pool level but from the sounds of it they are now also increasing irrigation releases for the season. The pool being 19 feet low right now does not bode well for a traditional management release for May. Maybe later?

Hopefully the thoughtful actions of boating advocates in multiple organizations will affect future boatable releases. But from what I understand, correct me if I am wrong, the current regime is prioritized for fish conservation and agriculture which don't always overlap nicely with traditional recreational boating below the dam.

I think those with packrafts will still get a chance at floating Ponderosa from the looks of it though.
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016   #14
Ridgway, Colorado
Not sure what the flows were but, I drove through Slickrock on my way to the Juan about a month ago. It was definitely GTG for a ducky or PR.
This is my backyard. I may have to buy a ducky just for the Doe.
Very disappointed
rtsideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016   #15
SMCanyon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
My backyard too. WTF is GTG?
kb52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016   #16
SMCanyon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Just came to me. Good to go? Used too consider 750 cfs minimum flow for raft. Never gave much thought to duckies

kb52 is offline   Reply With Quote