Old 02-14-2014   #1
Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Advice on must hikes in the Grand

I am currently planning a 24 day trip from Lee's to Pearce Ferry and was inquiring some advice on side hikes that should not be missed (already making plans for Nankoweap, Havasu).

MightyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014   #2
Woodland Park, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I did my first trip in june. We did a layover day at across from deer creek. Left one raft up river and did the deer creek to thunder river loop. Might have been the best day hike ive ever been on. My 2 cents.

JustinJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014   #3
Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Stone Creek (RM 1331.: 2 waterfalls, agave roasting pits

Tapeats Creek/Thunder River (RM 133.7)

Matkatamiba Canyon (RM 147.9): chimney up to amphitheater
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans"
2tomcat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014   #4
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Tapeats up and over to Deer Creek
jones boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014   #5
dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Silver grotto, Nautiloid canyon, Elves chasm, Tapeats/Thunder up and over to Deer creek, Blacktail canyon, Havasu, Unkar ruins, Nankoweap, Tuckup canyon (arch), Matkatamiba, Doll House, and lot's of others but these are my favs. If I had to pick 5 it would be Silver, Nautiloid, Elves, Havasu, and Nankoweap. There are so many other great hikes tho. Almost every camp has some amazing canyon you can hike up and lots of wildlife, cool plants, and great views.
chepora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014   #6
Kayak/SUP Instructor
The High Ground, Colorado
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Thunder copyright.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	901.5 KB
ID:	7675  
"Let us cross the river to the other side and rest beneath the shade of the trees." ~ Last words of Thomas Jonathan ''Stonewall' Jackson
Theophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014   #7
Parashant canyon is one of my favorite hikes when it's not too hot.
mrkyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014   #8
U not daho, Idaho
Paddling Since: noon
Plenty of popular short hikes mentioned. For a longer one, I second thunder basin if you can score layover at Deer Creek. At least go to the patio above deer creek and the other falls (King's throne?), but thunder basin is pretty cool if you can go.
Tuck up canyon is another great layover hike. Tough scrambler or rope climb at beginning, but great day hike. Watch out if flash flood potential though.
Good luck...
dryfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014   #9
Flagstaff, Arizona
So many hikes and so little time... what time of year is your trip? 25 days sounds like fall-winter-spring. So hiking from layovers may be an option.

One of the hiking locations I like for options is laying over at either Hotauta, Parkins or Bass (Bass Crossing is too small unless you are a small group) allows hikes east to Evan's Butte, north to Bass Camp and the water in Shinumo, or north west to Fan Island. Granted, my bias is to get up high, maybe half way to the rim, for the ability to look out, up and down.

A layover at Indian Canyon offers hiking potentials north and south to routes up through the fractured Redwall and onto the west end Esplanade.

Here's a fun loop hike i just discovered. You can camp at Fence Fault or Sandpile and hike up to through the fractured Redwall to the Redwall top. There is a very nice trail heading downriver along the Redwall top a mile to intercept the South Canyon trail. Follow the South Canyon trail down through the Redwall and to the river. Route-finding is required at the junction with the South Canyon trail, but the views are great. Folks who don't want to hike can float the boats down to meet you.

Like I said, so many options and so little time... Have a Great trip, yours, Tom
Tom Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014   #10
Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Thank you all for the advice, there are definitely some hikes that I want to include on our trip! Tom we will be launching on Sept 25 so a fall trip. Also if anyone has good layover suggestions that would be great to.

MightyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote