Old 08-01-2014   #11
Silt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
My condolences...

Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014   #12
carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Thanks for letting us know what happened up there. As everybody that kayaks knows, usually there is not much a crew of boaters can do to save a swimmer in that type of run/situation. Usually only the swimmer can save theirself in time to survive. Bogan is wicked cold especailly that time of year and obviouslly strainers are the worst situation to be in.
Of the friends i've known that have passed kayaking most were lost for some time before bodies recovered. I guess the only thing I could think to do now in that type of situation is purly to help in the body recovery by either clipping a biner and rope to the pfd or body anywhere or setting up a snag line below after the fatality has occured. If their is time before you pack it in.

R.I.P. Uriah

onefatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014   #13
Thanks for the feedback and kind words. In response, 2 of us have been rescue trained, but admittedly rusty. The strainer where the accident occurred was outta of sight as we scouted from the car.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014   #14
Originally Posted by glenn View Post
I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. Thank you for posting.

No judgement from me. Just to reiterate common themes and risks.

- Wood
- Highwater
- Gear (A rescue vest on U and a knife on U may have improved the scenario)

As soon as a swimmer is in a strainer it's dire no matter the water level, gear purchased, group skill level etc.

Feel free to no answer but I'm curious about whether or not you are sticking with paddling and why or why not.

Rest in peace Uriah.
Yeah, I'm still paddling. I love it and have a reminder of the respect the river demands.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014   #15
Parker, Colorado
Crystal River

I lost a brother on the Crystal River a few years ago. He had a heart attack and could not be saved no matter who would have been there and what equipment could have or should have been available.

My heart goes out to the three guys that were with Uriah on May 31, 2014. Please take care of you and don't beat yourselves up over the loss of Uriah.

My brother himself had recovered a fellow kayaker and close friend from the Arkansas River in 1990. My brother had over 30 years of experience/competition and had kayaked many places including the Grand Canyon and Mexico.

My sincere condolences to Uriah's Parents, all of his family and friends.

RIP Uriah and say hi to my big brother!

The two of you will never be forgotten!
Colorado Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014   #16
Hotchkiss, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
My sincere thanks to you for sharing what all of us know had to be a very difficult recollection. It was a very humbling post for me to read and also tremendously educational. You did an excellent job of dispensing a great amount of very valuable information. Please take care of yourselves and allow plenty of time to grieve.
Windknot 2
windknot2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014   #17
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
^^ this ^^

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote