Old 09-20-2013   #1
ronan, Montana

I am very new to this sport- we enjoy raftng and floating the flathead river.
We also enjoy fly fishing the rivers. As far as i can tell fly fishing rafts are not self bailers and rafting rafts are self bailers (perhaps i am wrong but this is what it seems like to me when i look at brands) Anyway Is There a raft that is manuveralbe, has a long warranty, does day trips or overnight trips with a group of 4-6 or can take a 2 person elevated fly fishing frame with a rower? Which raft would be the best for this selection(or should i be considering something else)? We can store it inflated on a trailer or folded. We have looked at: Sotar, NRS, AIRE, Star wonderbug, etc.. at this point we cant make an informed decision that is why i am asking you all.
Thank You for your opinion in advance.

dsagmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #2
Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I started out with a 13' DRE boat w/ a fishing frame. Works great for the day trips with 2 people + rower. Also paddles great too.

I did find for multiday trips it was a bit cramped for 2 + rower for solo boat trips...I ended up getting a 16' foot boat for the multi day trips.

If you only get one others have said, a 14' boat is great one-boat quiver

ManGearPig Lives!
LongmontRafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #3
Renaissance Redneck
Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
I have a NRS 15E with a Bighorn 2 frame. I keep it decked all the way around for day and multiday WW trips. For fishing or duck hunting I take off most of the decking and add a back fishing seat, anchor system and front thigh bar.
"You're gonna be doin a lot of doobie rolling when youre LIVIN IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER"
LSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #4
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
i have a 14 ft nrs otter they make a similar 14 ft boat that is narrower. the 14' length will let you do some multi day trips as well as carry all the fishing gear you could need. this is one option i would consider.
mcfarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #5
Comes down to how much you want to spend.* Get a self bailer with fishing frame.** Like LSB, my 14’ Vanguard is setup with an NRS frame which makes it easy to reconfigure for multiday family trips or fishing.** That would be on the lower end of how to get setup with a good quality rig with a more value price tag.

On the other end, look at something like a StreamTech or custom rigs from any number of places built to order.** AAA/DRE/Riverboat Works, places like that.** Check out those websites and see the possibilities.***
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote