Old 06-12-2015   #61
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
I'll finally add mine since I paid my dues via booty beer yesterday....6 weeks later, in fear of a swim consequential of neglecting the penance.

Westwater end of April....first time in the boat of the year....second day....playboat at low flow around 4-5000 cfs. In the end of last chance rapid got flipped by a lateral wave or something - not sure. Tried to roll three times, but was stuck on an eddy line and couldn't manage to come up. On the third try I was actually upright most of the way, and was able to look at the guy in front of me while trying to brace three or four times. I just couldn't manage to successfully brace and flipped once again. Don't know why I gave up, but at that point I had enough and swam. Self rescued literally 5 feet from where I exited my craft. Only thing hurt was pride.

mattoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015   #62
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
OK, I better get this over with...

Wednesday morning on Split Mountain at 9K cfs, up at the top of Moonshine, I didn't square up to a lateral that seemed to come out of nowhere ("...and all of a sudden, there it was: a rogue wave!") and got dumptrucked off the raft. Was really glad the whole thing didn't go over and that my nephew managed to stay in the boat and pull my soggy ass back in. Looking at my nephew's go-pro footage of it and I was amazed that without even thinking of it, I grabbed a beer can that had also gotten washed out of the boat and tossed it back into the boat. Don't I get a couple of points for not littering?

Rig to flip, dress to swim. Even on the easy stuff, especially in big water.

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015   #63
Steamboat, Colorado
Had another swim last night... in C Hole... mostly due to complacency in having successfully run the meat at just about every flow. In fact, I remember thinking to myself just above the hole, that I was feeling far too relaxed. I did at least attempt a roll this time, and I had a great, 100% self-rescue! Though I did let my boyfriend drain my boat for me So all in all it turned out to be a pretty good swim.
It's a good day to be a duck....
soggy_tortillas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015   #64
Paddling Since: 1994
Finally dumped over the 12'er. Ive had a couple swims out of her and some close calls but never dumped her over until sunday in browns at 4500ish. I was cheating most everything big ( since i was in the 12' with a light 3 load crew) until we got to staircase. The consensus was to run the big wave in 7 so we did... T'd up and got bitch slapped hard. It was the perfect storm. The boat was small and the crew was light. The wave was steep, big...and it broke perfectly. I saw it was about done building as we came over the wave above it and as we headed up it, it broke hard and instantly corkscrew flipped us. The swim was uneventful. I grabbed some paddles on the swim and the unscathed, well dressed, un fazed crew had the boat flipped back over in about 2 minutes on the left bank. We were headed into widow maker with all our paddles in about 5 minutes. About as good as it could be expected to go. Glad I was in the drysuit, water is still chilly. There would have been great footage from tom who was behind us in the dory but his go bro crapped out. At least he rescued a couple paddles. Our kayakers in the right eddy had a great front row show.
zach baird
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015   #65
Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Ok - my turn. Brown's run on 6/20. This was the second of the day and we thought we were hot sh%t because we could nail the entries since we had already run it once. At the top of pinball we hit the first drop hard and the two of us in the bow went over the left side of the front tube. We immediately got flushed out and I had my paddle and then grabbed that of the other paddler. Of course, this was the top of Pinball and we went for quite the swim. The last wave hit like a ton of bricks and gave me a much better appreciation of swimming in whitewater. We were able to get to the shore right before the ledge and collect ourselves. It was one of the roughest swims I've done to date - but it's all good when you can look back and smile at it.
"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great."
Read_N_Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015   #66
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Boy, I've seen a lot of reference about the Cripps hole in other threads, but not so many in this thread. I get it, you've been boating and don't have time to post. That's what work is for. Work is a time to avoid work and post and troll on the internet, including Mountain Buzz.
On the river, I can abandon who I am and what I've done. However brief it lasts, while on the river I am nothing important and everything insignificant. I am flotsam, and happy to be so.
hojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015   #67
Copper Mountain, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I had a great one this week in Vallecito. We had a great lap the night before at 2.3 something and put on the next morning at 2.2. I was running standard through bouffant when I got flipped by a rock. Set up for several rolls but kept getting raked over rocks. The last one was a hard hit and ripped my paddle out of one hand. I had to pull Once I resurfaced I was at the first lip of Paddle Bitch. I got bitch smacked by every rock in that rapid, no fun. Right near the bottom I body pinned on the upstream side of a rock, just enough time to scout an eddy to swim to. I got to the river left eddy between paddle bitch/no way out and was exhausted. From here I was walled out with a super slippery rock to climb. Partner tossed a rope from river right to left, over the rock and winched it off for me to climb up. Once on top of that rock I had to climb up one more and I was out of the water. The soon to be realized part was that I had to swim ferry between bouffant and paddle bitch to get the last gulch to climb out on river right. This proved to be the scariest part. I was able to get across and to the eddy, only to have a good 200 foot climb out of the gorge. Partner got my paddle to me for the climb and was able to get my boat just downstream. Quite the humbling moment on a run that can be oh so sweet. Booty beer was absolutely delicious, and deserving.
Cphilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015   #68
Denver, Colorado
There has been a slight delay posting this swim but here goes. Upper Clear Creek at 2250 CFS turned out to be pushier than anticipated. I flipped in wave hole after Double Knife. Lost a hand on the paddle and a knee out of the hooks. I pressed on downstream carping away rolls until I made the call that I'd need some energy for a swim. Pulled and charged to shore without subjecting myself to too much down time. My boat however, was not so lucky and finished the run without me. Thanks to the efforts of the Golden to Idaho Springs bike path crew it had the pleasure of running all their artificial drops before we miraculously caught up to it by car. A dented nose that popped out was somehow the only damage to the boat but alas my GoPro was gone. At the end of the day I was happy to repay my debt to the River Gods with a delicious booty.
Ka-Pow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015   #69
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
I had an interesting swim yesterday. It was a calculated swim from a pin. While chasing a boat through 1/4 mile I tried to get it into an eddy. At the bottom of the eddy were two rocks wide enough for a boat but narrow enough that when I shot past the boat I was chasing I nosed into one rock and swung into a tip/tail broach. I managed to get an aggressive downstream lean and moved a bit to see if I could get unstuck. It seemed that I was not going to be able to move myself off sufficiently to guarantee a full flush so I just hung out for my crew.

From shore I was handed a rope, pulled skirt, flushed about 4 feet and pendulumed into the eddy, boat and paddle in hand. Shortest, easiest swim on 1/4 I think anyone will likely ever have at 800ish cfs.
On the river, I can abandon who I am and what I've done. However brief it lasts, while on the river I am nothing important and everything insignificant. I am flotsam, and happy to be so.
hojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015   #70
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Originally Posted by hojo View Post
Shortest, easiest swim on 1/4 I think anyone will likely ever have at 800ish cfs.
Not quite so. I'll post up mine to content for shortest easiest swim, OUT OF cripps hole (sort of).

A little back story: Missed my line through elbow (too far left) and dropped off the pillow/lateral right into the upper hole, which promptly flipped and flushed me into the stickier hole just downstream. After a short beating and side surf I flushed and rolled up extremely exhausted. We continued downstream, I flipped and rolled in the boogie water before the eddy and entrance to the 1/4 biggie. I was still determined to run the left boof over cripps instead of the right sneak. The line was easy to make, but with absolutely no boof off the lip I landed with too much forward angle in that swirly river left water, bow dug in and then I started getting pulled backwards and my boat was leaning backwards towards the meat. Next thing I know I am upside down thinking "oh shit, you're stuck in cripps hole and no one ever makes it out". So for some reason the smartest thing to do was not even attempt to roll and just pull my skirt, even though it felt pretty calm and in hindsight I was NOT in the meat...who knows how it would have ended up if I rolled though. Regardless, I surface and immediately grab my boat, float/swim a couple feet to the left bank, and literally stand up in the river left eddy, stash my paddle, flip over my swamped boat, give a wave downstream that I'm ok, drain the water, get back in and continue down the rest of 1/4 mile to the takeout. Half bootie completed since I self rescued, figure that's more than enough. Swam maybe 5 yards.

That might be the easiest swim ever in the 1/4 mile. One theory afterwards was maybe my quick wet exit upside down was enough to catch the green water and flush me before the recirculating water pulled me back in. Or I was already downstream of the hole and would have been fine but panicked anyway. I know when I resurfaced I was a decent ways away from the hole though. I guess I'll never know for sure. Still determined to keep running the far left line though!

mattoak is offline   Reply With Quote