Old 06-04-2015   #51
Coquitlam, BC, Canada
Paddling Since: 2013
Chilliwack River BC swim

My swim last Saturday - tame compared to what most of you guys describe!!

SpeyCatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015   #52
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2011
Race Course

Took a couple swims in my IK messing around on the racecourse. Started getting bored so I started going right at Souse Hole and left at Big Rock, my first attempt at each ended in a swim. The raft photo girls were there for my first swim at Souse last week...

Issip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015   #53
Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Dumptruck in Termination on the Lochsa yesterday.

I was out and back in in about 4s....but still counts as a swim, and I have to drink my bootie, lhowemt!
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015   #54
FoCo,NoCo, Colorado
Been there. Done that.

Twice this year.
First one was excusable. Second was just carping.
Time for a little ice cream headache roll practice and kill the carp.
sarahkonamojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015   #55
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
Given all of the lost gear posts, it seems like this thread should be even busier...
craven_morhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015   #56
Meridian, Idaho
Originally Posted by Whetstone View Post
I dump trucked on top of Staircase, S.F. Payette at 2800cfs, last Sunday. Clipped rock with the bow and spun into the first drop. I was the sweeper so no help coming. Swam 2 drops and recirculated in 2 holes. Finished with a beat down on a few boulders but found bank above the rock garden.
The other boats had my Diablo about a 1/3 mile down river for me. It faired well. Apparently it flipped twice in the second hole after I was ejected. I never saw that.
Biggest Double Nasty Swim I've experienced. Not in a hurry to repeat.
I drove up and looked at it at about the same flow. I chickened out and ran the main. I used to run it in my cat but my rafts flip much easier and swimming staircase really really sucks. Good to see people out pushing it and having fun though.
Mopdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015   #57
page, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2014
Grand canyon swim team

Well since he hasn't posted yet I thought I would share our varsity swimmer on our grand trip....
first swim was in Indian dick rapid mile 23.5 dump trucked off a lateral, and was pulled out missing his pants
second swim was the next rapid Georgie white rapid at mile24.5 was a flip.
Next swim was at upset rapid rower got bucked out....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	received_10207231405892032.jpeg
Views:	161
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	10031  
azpowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015   #58
Englewood, CO
Paddling Since: 2002
should have posted earlier

Jake has a point.
I have felt bad about not posting about getting stuffed under the undercut at BR, swimming, a good buddy saved my boat.
sfornst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015   #59
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2014
I got pinned on wall slam on the Santa Cruz yesterday... missed the eddy on river right and went into the undercut rock backwards and got sucked under, stern underwater bow in the air, pulled my skirt as soon I felt stuck. Thankfully it washed into a nice eddy. my boat was stuck there pretty solid and we barely got it out.

Shortly after I missed a boof and pitoned on Lada Drop and put a sweet dent that separated the top half from bottom on my boat. didnt swim from that though!
jjeco5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015   #60
Plunk your magic twanger!
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
On the second day of a Gates of Lodore trip we came to Upper Disaster Falls and scouted it. At 2600 Cfs there is an easy tongue left of center to enter the rapid and avoid the ledge and rocks center and right. I decided to continue through on my 10' paddlecat although this was probably the biggest rapid it had been in yet. With eleven rafts, three kayakers, and an IK and full dry gear and helmet I turned on the GoPro and went for it. The entrance was no problem but I kept thinking about what was said about a dangerous right channel that leads to an undercut and should be avoided. The channel split and I went left around an island even though the current, and rafts, went right. My wife, in a the IK followed me left but didn't understand why I went that way. It was easy water through there but as we came to the bottom of the island I could see that there was a lower part to the rapid that we didn't see from the scout and that I was going to be rejoining much faster water. Except for far right, along the cliff, the the river was full of pour over rocks and I began to pick my way through them. Like a rafter, I was looking at the next rock and the one below it and picking a line when I felt the back half of the right tube suck down and I was swimming. My head popped above water and I saw the paddlecat moving away from me quickly down the right side. A couple waves came over my head and I put my feet up in front of me and began going over rocks. I saw the left bank was going to require a hard swim and I threw the paddle away preparing to make a move as soon as possible. After going over another rock I saw one of our kayakers quickly coming to get and Helen pulled me to shore. Thank you Helen!

My cataraft, being towed by John

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote