Old 09-08-2014   #71
BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
2 swims. Sam and Connor saved my shit after carping the bottom of the Quake run. Connor got me back in the boat for another lap which was good for the head. Nick and John had a good combo effort a week later at the bottom of Kitchen Sink on Beartrap. Both booties consumed on premises.

The sunshine walked beside her
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014   #72
Edwards, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Here I am again... Today I ran Barrel Springs in my playboat for the first time and styled all of my lines. Then when we were on shoshone I was taking a line through wall on the far river right side through the boulders when I flipped (still not really sure how haha) and then my paddle got stuck between two rocks and I couldn't get it out so I tried to hand roll and didn't even come close... Damn the irony!

Colorado // Kayaking // Skiing // Film
Caleb125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014   #73
Steamboat, Colorado

tried to embed it but I guess I'm embedding illiterate.
It's a good day to be a duck....
soggy_tortillas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014   #74
Moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
Big Drop II 45,000

It has been a while, but I did also have an unintentional swim this year. My timing was off when I began to pull across Big Drop II at 45,000 cfs. I was a stroke early and caught a piece of the Marker Hole, which set me up perfectly sideways for the Claw. I tee'd it up just in time to make it up and over the huge curling wave. Then I turned the boat again to try and pull river right away from the fast approaching Mother in Law feature. I was not going to make it, so at the last moment I pushed into this 35' tall wave just as its reaching maximum height then it crashed from the left and easily flipped my 18' bucket boat. So I swam Big Drop III, somehow avoiding Satans Gut. After I cleared the last big drop, I was able to get on the boat and ride it down to Imperial Rapid, before We were able to flip it back over. I didn't lose or damage anything, except for river guide pride. Oh Whale! I'm not so afraid of flipping a raft, now that I finally have.
Bigdrops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014   #75
East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
Originally Posted by glenn View Post
2 swims. Sam and Connor saved my shit after carping the bottom of the Quake run. Connor got me back in the boat for another lap which was good for the head. Nick and John had a good combo effort a week later at the bottom of Kitchen Sink on Beartrap. Both booties consumed on premises.
Good to hear glendo. Hope to see you this spring. Got a couple trips going if your interested.
spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014   #76
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Good lord, a great 2014, and a couple of Lochsa surfing flips, but no carnage. What has happened to me???

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014   #77
Evereywhere, State of Bliss
Paddling Since: 2000
House Rock

House Rock. Day 2 low tide. Set up too far right. Bumped into the main flow. Went into first hole on the left sideways. The 16 footer stood on its side for a moment. While climbing to the highside I lost my footing as the boat went vertical. Fell to the water and the boat slammed down inches in front of my face. Grabbed it and rode into house rock. Crashed into the rock busting a personal dry box. Bobby was on me in a kayak and we kicked the boat to shore. Lost my bud light hat. Gonna miss that hat. First time flipping. Waiting for the next...
tteton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014   #78
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
2014 is almost over. Time to fess up. I swam once and pinned once (which did not involve swimming).

As much as it pains me to admit this... I swam in the Numbers at low water (~1500 cfs). Out of a playboat. It was well deserved. I was sour and disappointed my buddies didn't want to put in at Pine Creek.

There's a chunky pourover on river right below #5. I tried to run it to the right. Hit my paddle against the right shore, let it spin in my hand, flipped, tried to roll but sliced, adjusted grip, tried 6 more rolls against a rock, and pulled my skirt exhausted.

Drank a booty.

Two days later I ran Yule to make sure I still knew what I was doing. Creeking is way safer than playboating.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

tango is offline   Reply With Quote