Old 06-01-2014   #11
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Originally Posted by Caleb125 View Post
Hopefully I've been kicked off of the swim team for a while...
Don't count on it. My latest story: Been a kayaker and racer (in the past) for 30+ years. Could roll just about anything, any time. Even pretty much the same with hand rolls. Last year got back into it after a break, bought a play boat, took the kids to Quail Lake to teach then how to roll. Missed my roll over and over. Just about half drowned but would not quit. Kids didn't know the t-rescue yet. Finally pulled my skirt.

Yes, in a lake....

The punch line is I think this particular pond is in the zoo drainage. Got giardia 3-4 days later....

duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014   #12
Denver, Colorado
Numbers of the Arkansas, last weekend, first time down in any vessel. I guided my paddle raft through, I believe, Number 3 and spotted an apparent lone standing wave, "We're going for the meat!" The meat proved to be followed by a meatier ledge. Things quickly went black side up. It had been awhile since I'd flipped a raft and I thought, "Shore, Shore!", before remembering "Raft, Raft!" Back upright before Number 4, which was at a great level for R1, before collecting the crew from the railroad. Bumps and bruises for the crew and a booty beer for me. Would not have guessed my first swim of the season would have been out of a raft rather then a kayak but the river always humbles.

Ka-Pow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014   #13
Jackson, Wyoming
I'll play- year was looking good, managed to get through the super cold, paddle as soon as the ice comes off the playpark season, and swam on my first downriver trip of the year back in early May on Northgate. Was running with a bunch of rafts, misjudged how fast I was going to gain on the one in front of me coming into Narrow Falls. Caught him with a big speed differential right at the drop, had to go left to avoid going under him, so I spent some time stuck against the big wall on the left. Got myself spun around where I could try to get out, but didn't give myself a rest before I peeled back in to the current, made a weak effort, and flipped on the eddy line against the rock. rolled once, went right back over, and pretty much gave up (might have a been a couple bad roll attempts). Kept my paddle, raft behind was nice enough to bulldoze my boat to the shore. Remembered that while I feel fairly bullet proof in the Super Hero right side up, I dont roll it as well as my playboat- think the super deep cockpit makes it different. Spending a week on the Ark next week, hopefully I'm done with out of boat experiences for a while.
wyosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014   #14
Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Originally Posted by Caleb125 View Post
Hopefully I've been kicked off of the swim team for a while...

Pardon me for being frank, but I believe the standard response to this is. "We're all only between swims." You'll only be kicked off the swim team if you quit the team.
jaybird72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014   #15
Jackson, Wyoming
Given the number of "I lost all my shit" posts on the buzz lately, it seems this thread should be about 4 pages longer.
wyosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014   #16
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I'll fess up. My swim this year was back in February on a self-supported Grand trip, in the aptly named "Little Bastard" rapid. I still don't quite understand what happened but some breaker slammed me into an eddyfence that I couldn't fight off upsidedown. I never even capsized in the other rapids... Little Bastard.
benpetri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014   #17
FoCo,NoCo, Colorado
ok, two

First April, early sometime, Hammerfactor Green River, NC. Dropped down into the maw way too early. Deep. Ended up in the pothole river left bouncing my head on the rock. Whatever, bad line, I am done, pull. And no, ran only from Blackwater Falls down.

Killer Bridge, Poudre +4.5 feet, demoing a boat. Probably not the time to demo a boat that doesn't fit very well. Did not want to become a statistic. Had no thigh purchase inside the boat. Basically fall out of boat, certainly with more effort I could have held those thighs, but no. Purchase did not happen inside the boat or at RMA afterwards. Boat went one side of the abutment, I went the other, scary.

sarahkonamojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014   #18
albuquerque, New Mexico
ok, ok. First swim yesterday on the racecourse section of the Rio Grande. Third run of the weekend, and not even in a rapid, just some of the little stuff in the narrows. I got spun around in a little eddy behind some pourovers and flipped sideways. Four roll attempts, and finally pulled it. I think I was bringing my head up too fast... It was my first combat-roll attempt of the year in my river-runner, and I spent all last year/early season in the playboat, so I think I need some rust-removal rolling the big boat. I'm just happy we actually have some water in the river, I didn't even brush a rock.
bigscottone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014   #19
4CRS, Durango, Colorado
I swam in the WW play park.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014   #20
Ouray & Buena Vista & Winter Park, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
I've had 2 this season so far

Byers canyon at 1000. flipped over in the last rapid with three big holes smacked a rock and bailed.

swam out of entrance exam on slaughter house at 1200. It was my first time paddling my playboat on class IV. That shit is hard.

!*!*!*!*!*Heidi Jo*!*!*!*!*!!
one legged wonder is offline   Reply With Quote