Old 03-17-2013   #31
Los Alamos, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2011
Don't count your rolls before they're done.

And so a group of us (5) were taking a 3 day class up in the Arkansas River Valley (2012 but this is a new thread). On the First day I made the declaration that who ever swims the most during the day ends up buying drinks that night. I thought, "hey, I've taken this class before. I've been on the river before. I have my own gear. There's some new guys who have never kayaked before, this is a safe bet!"
None the less, I ended up buying.

manelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013   #32
crested butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Send a message via Yahoo to milo
Um , when I was learning how to roll, I'd first swim " laps" , full length of the pool with my boat attached to me..... Good stuff.... I also put " lost and found" fishing lures and hooks on my grab loop on my skirt.... It eliminated the desire to pull the frigging skirt..... Both of these helped eliminate my swimming problem.... My last swim was in the BLACK CANYON... In SIEVE CITY rapid......that's was 4 yrs ago and it was fucking scary.... I did not have the option to roll or I would have.... I was pinned upside down in a "coffin" shaped slot with no exit..... The whole time I was thinking about lotsawaters' sieve time on day 1 of our trip.... I could barely get out of the boat due to the current smashing me down on the bottom.... It was like somebody parked a car on top of me.... Then I started chewing on sand!!! FUCKING SAND.... Lord hath giveth me another chance.... It was not a death trap but just a "bad place".... I pulled my skirt after a battle and fought to get out from under the boat and current.... As soon as I popped up I went to grab my paddle (10' away from me)... As soon as I reached out for it, " it went" somewhere that I didnt want to go.... bye bye little AT paddle.... my swim was all of 10 feet in unfavorable conditions..... That was a rugged trip that I'll never ever forget..... Swimming is a whole other sport.... Milozadik 420 CB

milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013   #33
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2010
I swam at the US National Whitewater Center in Charlotte a few weeks back during their green river St. Patrick's Day party. I rolled after surfing m-wave and rolled up right in time to get stuffed under a raft pinned on some pylons. Needless to say, I had to pull out and watch my boat continue on down the channel stuck underneath the raft. Those floating undercuts will get you!
mdignan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013   #34
Abron Cabron
Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
renewed my rio grande swim team card...

3/16/13 hit the Race Course in Pilar, with my homie Lancedog from CO and his buddies...had a great run, water was like 550 cfs, and sleeping beauty is still kinda munchy at that will smooth out closer to 800-900... i had the bright idea to ask my buddy billy to use my iphone to get some footage of me, as i had only gotten pix of everyone else. and you know what that = carnage.... I have actually been pretty solid with my playboating, rolling all over the place, but i guess i was tired... and the current was funky, and the river gnomes were pulling my paddle so i couldnt set up for shit.... but i definitely think it was the the worst part was i went for a 'bow down-i dont know how to loop, but let's just see what happens' move. instead of just getting a decent mellow (timid) front surf like usual...
OH, and ol' Jackson from Salider (in the pink pyrhana) got to return the favor for me assisting him at big rocks all too quickly. the irony was appreciated.and so was the paddle rescue... here's the vid, with sympathetic commentary and all from
Attached Files
abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013   #35
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Well, I thought I might at least wait AT LEAST until mid to late April to bump this thread but no....I got impatient and swam in Kirschbaumbs yesterday...It was pretty uneventful all in all. I got out pretty quick and my gear floated beautifully into an eddy just below me, with barely any assistance at all. The rest of the run went well, Gore was fun, walked tunnel (which I swear I'll never to again, I'd rather swim it if it comes down to it.... errrr, I think).
Alright, well, there it is. I still owe my booty, but I'll pay up before my redemption run!
"You know that old trees just grow stronger and old rivers grow wilder, everyday..."
ednaout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013   #36
doesn't need a fake name
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I wish this was more like facebook so that I could "like" certain posts... Beth...
leif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013   #37
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
First swim in the bag. Exited in the freestyle hole at the Salida boat ramp. I was paddling bow in a C2 slalom run. My stern partner was doing everything she could to correct my flagrant mispaddling. Dropped into that hole slow and sideways, and I thought it would be much easier to finish the race sans boat. I was totally unprepared for the flows as, unbeknownst to me, the recent rains/snow bumped the water from an already raging 160cfs to the insane level of 190cfs!!! It was epic.
On the river, I can abandon who I am and what I've done. However brief it lasts, while on the river I am nothing important and everything insignificant. I am flotsam, and happy to be so.
hojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013   #38
Gunnison, Colorado

The other day I was hand paddling the white water park in Gunnison with neopreme nrs gloves. I have the worst hand roll ever and when I hit the eddy line I flipped like a coin and pulled my skirt immediately. I was paddling with my friend anna who just cheered me on from the shore as I self rescued. All I could think about was how much fricking wax was on my boat, from kayaks on snow boatercross at monarch mountain. My buddies were at the bottom feature cheering because I owed them a six pack of beer for getting my boat after it floated down to them. Hopefully doing my gross beer booty tonight! All in all pretty good swim
booferton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013   #39
Ouray & Buena Vista & Winter Park, Colorado
BETH!!! I want to be there for your redemption. Are you free anytime next week?
!*!*!*!*!*Heidi Jo*!*!*!*!*!!
one legged wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013   #40
Prineville, Oregon
Got my first swim from a raft this weekend. Tried to punch a hole in Black Barr on the Rogue and got stopped, spun sideways and surfed back into the hole. One unfotunate buck later and I was swimming. Caught up to raft, climbed in and finished the rapid.

BryanS. is offline   Reply With Quote