Old 08-25-2013   #271
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Originally Posted by JP Griffith View Post
Last week I was trying to run the meat of Gore Canyon in todo-switch style... all of the rapids backwards. Everything was solid until I tried to back boof the meat of Toilet Bowl. I had almost no speed and was a little off center. After a little beat down and being pulled close to the rock that backs the hole up, I decided it was time to swim (I've yet to see someone paddle out of toilet bowl once in it, but I'd love to hear if someone has). It spat me out fast followed shortly by my paddle and boat. I'm glad to say that I completely self-rescued, drank my booty, and can't wait to give a todo-switch Gore Canyon another go!
I saw Leslie B. roll up and paddle out of it in a Prijon Creeker 225. Luck and skill?

My first time down it, I swam, but friend said I looked like I was almost out of it at one point (through a few ends and rolls before I realized it was toilet bowl and had me turning end over end vertically).

I wouldn't be surprised if playboaters get out of it fine. All theory of course. If I ever get a decent playboat and decent skill with it to boot, I'll have to find out.

Kendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013   #272
Durango South, 4CRS
Paddling Since: 07
After 119 consecutive days staying in my boat, I swam Vallecito Monday. Flow was just under 2.2 and I got too far left on entrance falls, plugged it, lost my paddle, and got shoved against the cliff which kept me from hitting a hand roll. Swam into the cave amongst a ton of wood, but luckily my boat, paddle, and both elbow pads floated in also so aside from some help draining my boat (thanks Eric Parker) there wasn't a huge rescue required. Got a redemption lap on Bakers this morning, so here's to another 120+ good days in a row.

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. - Helen Keller
yakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013   #273
Golden, Colorado
Bump. I have a feeling Bear Creek has not resulted in zero swims. Fess up and make me feel better about chickening out.
blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013   #274
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
If all bear swims were on here we would have pages... I ran it six times from 400-700 and swam 3 times on three different runs. Backwards over no fun falls at 700. Got boofed on my head as I swam. Got pinned and manked out in the first no scout falls drop yesterday. Big ledge hole below the slide got me today. Dropped in on another paddler surfing and we both swam. It's a minor miracle that I still have all my gear (thanks to my bros of course). Had a relatively swim free year running harder stuff than bear. Late season rust combined with an annoying cold definitely took the paddling skills down a notch. Bear at high water was awesome though. Carnage is the ante for paddling bear. Doubt I will get a chance to paddle it that high again in my career.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013   #275
Near water (hopefully), Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I thought I had made it through the season of 2013 swim-less, but here I am, post Bear Creek, writing this up.

The big hole below the slide, well it can be a pretty mackin hole and it doesn't have a straight forward line. The options appeared to be gut it with momentum or take an awkward looking right line when you can't grab a boof stroke because of overhanging shrubbery. I unintentionally opted for the somewhere in between line which consisted of an awkward boof with not nearly enough momentum.

Sure enough I was blasted into an endo and found myself surfing facing river left. The boil on this side is big... Spent some time trying to claw up it, but I realized quickly I needed to be facing the other direction. I ended up getting up onto the pile somewhat but felt myself getting pulled back in. I decided to go with it and took a couple back strokes and shoved my stern into the hole. A thrashing followed and I had a feeling I was going to flush. I felt a very brief moment of calm that was intercepted by a hit to the head and the familiar feeling of being in a hole upside down.

I thought I had hit a rock getting pulled back into the first hole... well it turns out I hit one in between the big hole and a less notable hole right below it. I swam and realized I was out of both holes... fucking embarrassing. Did all the work to get out of the holes and proceeded to beater to shore without my gear.

Much thanks to Ian for diving into the creek and snagging my paddle right after his own swim, and to Natalie for roping me across.
smauk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013   #276
s, Virginia
First trip down the Lower Gauley. I took my 16 foot Aire Cataraft down. I had an absolute BLAST. I made it down 4 of the Class V rapids with no problems. I will say Mango's (Wade) cataraft tubes are very clean on the bottom. I got to inspect them in great detail and up close as I swam under them at Lower Mash rapid. I did most of Upper Mash rapid no problem then somewhere near the bottom of the rapid I either caught a underwater rock or a wave really caught my right side oar and jerked it clean out of my hand. By the time I recovered it I was lined up dead center of my right tube with Indecision Rock just sticking out of the surface. I hit the Indecision Rock and the right tube slide up towards the sky, slowly at first and then dam quick. I plunged in backside first, felt my back hit a large rock, probably three feet below surface and hang there for a millisecond and then slide over the top. I remember thinking, oh that was lucky as I was surfacing. I found my upside down cat and manage to get a hand on the tube handle just in time to start my run on the Lower Mash rapid. As I was going through Lower Mash I saw Mango's cat right in front of me. I could clearly see his cat hit a wall and stop. About that time my upside down cat and I slammed into his cat and I went under my tubes and came up and smashed the bottom of Mango's tubes and then I went under again and came up and for good measure smacked the bottom of his other tube. Then I heard someone, I think it was Mango, yelling at me to swim hard river right to avoid a big undercut rock, which I did. Then Justin paddled up in his kayak and I was able to hang on and get a ride to an eddie. I was fairly wiped out at that point. Walked a ways down the shore and then got a ride down river on the back of a kayak. Thank you everyone who helped me out, I appreciate it ALOT. Pure Screaming Hell rapid was my best rapid all day, had great lines down it and was very smooth, glad to have ended it on a good note. Supposedly there is some video of my flip, one of the commercial rafts was filming, I'll have to try and track it down.
Machias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013   #277
B'ingham, Washington
Paddling Since: 2008
I swam at the last rapid before takeout on the deschutes harpham flat to sandy beach and couldn't get to shore in time and then swam shears falls... Just kidding but I did swim trying to surf the last rapid and was pretty embarrassed!
KennytheJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013   #278
x, x
Paddling Since: x
I fuckin swam at kayak polo last night.

Yeah, i posted it here.

Nate "the destroyer" knocked me over with 1 hand, I have a bunch of other excuses to...

The pool was HUGE! it must have been at least 50,000 cf sorry there is no "s" it wasn't moving water.

I shook it off though, got back in my boat.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013   #279
Prineville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2010
I swam at the bottom of Carver rapid on the Clackamas after dropping over a ledge sideways and missing first roll attempt.
BryanS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013   #280
bc, CA
Paddling Since: 2007
The are 2 holes you need to scoot in between at the Wall drop on the Clearwater (Canada). I had never been brave enough to run this section before because if you swim here, it is a LONG (not fun swim) I was told. I followed hubby and we both missed the foot wide tongue and got back endered in the left side hole, rolled up and went WHEW!!! We pulled into the only eddy before the canyon section below to watch our friend being worked in the right hand (much stickier) hole. He ended up swimming. Our group really were on him to get him out before the canyon started. I, in my wisdom (or lack of) decided to be useful and go after his boat. Having never rescued a boat before, I just followed it wherever it went making that section quite difficult. I finally caught up with it (after getting flipped 3 more times) and was able to almost clip on to the boat when i dropped into a hole, with the swimming boat, and lost my paddle. I got flipped again and after a few attempts at hand rolling (definitely not as easy as at the pool) I swam. All I could think of was "ah we have 2 swimmers". Fortunately it was near the bottom of the canyon and while I was trying to haul my boat, his boat and my paddle to shore, someone came to help me out. Hubby showed up and said "what the F**K are you doing. Don't ever try to clip on to someones boat until you know what is below you" Lesson learned !!!

brenda is offline   Reply With Quote