Old 07-10-2013   #241
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Originally Posted by hkydef View Post
Tried to roll a couple of times (never could seem to get any purchase on the blade). Started thinking about sharp rocks. Out I came.
Next time the thought of sharp rocks has you reaching for the skirt, imagine said sharp rocks impacting your nether regions.

Yeah, I'd rather take them on the helmet, PFD, arms, and shoulders also. Stay in the boat unless your next move is breathing like a fish.

Joel_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013   #242
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1972
Thanks Joel. Those thoughts did cross my mind also while underwater. On the plus side of the swim, I did a pretty nice self-rescue, learned that my new boat (Remix 79) is not as confining as my old Vortex, and reaffirmed the notion that everybody swims sometime.

Slightly related subject... I stopped to pick a hitchhiker/boater at BTO today on the way to the put-in. Turns out, he's the guy I was boating with the last time I swam some years ago (15 years?). The weird part about this is that he's from Lincoln, NE and only comes out for a week or so per year. What are the odds?

hkydef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013   #243
Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Originally Posted by hkydef View Post
Turns out, he's the guy I was boating with the last time I swam some years ago (15 years?). The weird part about this is that he's from Lincoln, NE and only comes out for a week or so per year. What are the odds?
Not a good week to boat if you want to avoid swims!

I broke a 12yr streak last June. Swam again this June. Careful once you break that seal!!
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013   #244
Karma works in awesome ways, and I paid the price for not announcing my first swim of the season, so now I'm two deep.

So there I was back in February, tossing some ends around in Myers Pool and working on perfecting my flatwater loop, when I decided to ender up onto the deck of the pool (the lazy way to get out). A little rusty on my pump-to-ender-to-180 land on the pool deck move, I came up short, and casually slid back into the pool sans paddle, unexpectedly flipped, and proceeded to miss my hand rolls. Yeah. I started out my season by swimming out of the freaking swimming pool. Needless to say I brushed this off as a fluke, and started practicing my hand rolls.

Fast forward to late June (exactly three weeks ago today), and I was feeling pretty sweet after a Blackrock Race win and a nice Clear Creek season. We headed up to the women's Poudre Race on Friday, and ran into Banks at the Mish... with just enough time for us to run some goods before the race got under way. The Poudre was running a respectable 3.5ish, which made Lower Narrows look a little larger than normal. Middle's looked sweet. The Upper Narrows looked kind of burly... mainly Whiteline. The entrance laterals looked good, the exit looked good, but linking up the entrance and exit looked tricky and I couldn't decide on a line. Mistake #1; if you don't see the line, you won't hit it. However, Banks was pumped on it, and upon further review, I couldn't really think of a reason to not run it, since it mostly just looked like a bunch of big laterals and flushy wave holes, with one obvious eddy of doom to avoid at all costs. Mistake #2; scouting from the road elevation always makes it look small and easy. I made the decision to charge in hard, and then to just kind of "see what happens when I get there." Mistake #3; stout class V requires more planning and less read and running... even if you think you're the shit.

I geared up more slowly than usual at the put-in. Mistake #4; if something doesn't feel right, it's wrong. A quick float, and a dream line through Super Collider completely changed my attitude! All of a sudden I felt good, and the whitewater felt fluffy, which further justified my "just see what happens" plan. I entered into Whiteline beautifully, punched the first few laterals, and set up a great left to right charging angle through the last big lateral.

And then I stopped paddling. I immediately lost all of my speed, and although my boat angle was good angled right, I was drifting left quickly. And further left despite starting to paddle again. And further left, until I hit the big hole directly in front of the rock pile on river left. Thinking I still had it, I rode the foam pile across, too far right all the way into the wall. My paddle momentarily jammed between the wall and my boat, and I missed my last stroke to freedom. Then I braced, flipped into the wall, and sucked back into the eddy of doom with my helmet dragging along the cliff wall as I went.

My first roll attempt initiated the stern ender to fail. My second roll attempt seemed to spin me. The third was a complete fail. Seriously running out of oxygen, my fourth roll attempt pulled me up right just long enough for me to get a glimpse at how screwed I really was, and I inhaled water as I flipped upstream. Still no air. My fifth roll attempt seemed to spin me, and then I gave up the rolling thing and did the upside down burning man to reach for the current, which successfully dislodged my paddle from my hands. Then I ejected.

The right side swim wasn't too bad except for the body boof that bruised both knees on the manky run out. The bruises have healed, but one knee has been pretty tweaked since then, though improving. Banks grabbed the boat, and my paddle eddied out above Lower Narrows... so after Middle's we portaged my bruised ego to the takeout vehicle.

The best thing about the swim? The motivation to not swim again. Ever. Thus, two days later, when I came off Double Trouble with angle too far right, I pitoned, flipped, rolled up, dropped the second drop backwards (with a pretty good backstroke), flipped again, rolled up in the river right eddy (of doom), and was so afraid to swim that I miraculously paddled out of that beast!

Be safe out there, enjoy your occasional swim, and better yet, save your botched lines without swimming!
Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013   #245
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Brian Banks sounds like (Superman) and is a great person to have on your team. Got your boat AND your paddle? I usually think of that as a three man job. I've run Middle and Lower Narrows on the Poudre and it doesn't necessarily look like an easy place for gear retrieval. Sure there are some eddies above middle, but still.

I caught him and a decent size group lapping Gore. We were just downstream of them when they all ran Tunnel. He was the only one that didn't flip, running the slide on river left (something I immediately wrote off when I scouted). Thankfully, 1000 cfs is the perfect flow if you want to stay in your boat after rolling up there (generally).

A swim in the pool! When I used to practice hand-rolls in my T2, I pretty much expected to tire quickly or pull a muscle if I tried too hard. What I ended up learning to do after playing a game of Horse in the pool and copying silly tricks, is swimming to the edge of the pool when I'm still upside down and coming up with a practice hipsnap, hands on the pool ledge.
Kendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013   #246
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
Shoshone Maneater Swim

Ran Shoshone for 1st time today x 2. 1st run flipped in Tombstone entering river right and paddling left, rolled up unscathed. Second run, ran slot right next to the Tombstone, much smoother, but then flipped in the bottom of Maneater, tried to roll but slicing paddle and helmet bumping rocks so pulled out. Hung on to paddle and buddy corralled boat river right. Good learning experience.
jlinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013   #247
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
I was running Bailey for the first time. Walked Four Falls rapids b/c Class V creeking is not my thing. Next Class IV rapid I chose to catch an eddy mid-way through on river right but got pushed up against a rock on the back of it. The rock was undercut with just enough moving water to pin my boat. Freaky experience I don't want to repeat, I bailed with my cockpit facing upstream away from the rock and my boat stayed put. My eddy picking and catching needs some work. Boat was easily freed so it wasn't a horrible undercut but still a bad place to be regardless.
Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013   #248
Abingdon, Virginia
Paddling Since: 2005
Swim and redemption in Grand Canyon

So I have to start with the statement that I am primarily a C boater. I got offered a place on a GC self support, and I decided to K boat it. I practiced with my K boat back east, on the New and Gauley, but never managed to flip it for a combat roll. I had a pretty good flat water K-roll.

So, about the middle of day 2, we get to Georgies. Al low flow. Georgies at low flow is described as "a sharp drop" in Mr. Martin's guide book. What does "sharp" mean?, I wondered as I approached. It turns out it means a super steep, fairly tall drop into a huge hole! The hit blasted me onto the back deck and the following wave tossed me over. I shamefully pulled the skirt immediately, but I was able to quickly self-rescue. No harm done, except to my confidence.

So down the Colorado we go, Hance good, Horn good, Granite good (wild!), next comes Hermit. Chatter above turns to "How many chances does one get to run Hermit blind?" The answer, it turns out, is one. So we decide to take our one chance and fire. I had done a fair amount of research, I knew there were some true giants in Hermit, and I knew #5 was the king of the giants. So I drop in, go over some big ass waves, then go over a HUGE wave. I said to myself, "That was #5! OH SHIT NO IT WASNT..." #5 crashed on my head and flipped me quick. Kept my composure this time. Carped a roll in the swirlys, paddle got twirled in my hands but I got re-set and hit my first kayak combat roll! In Hermit! Grand Canyon class 8! Pretty cool! I think someone should make me a T-shirt...
OC1er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013   #249
Jackson County, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1979
I'm in the club!!!

Charge: Unintentional Swim on 7/22
Verdict: Guilty
Sentence: Public Humiliation

VandyIn541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013   #250
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Second swim of the year out of a mini max, we crushed sunshine rapid on the royal gorge then nailed a rock at the very bottom got ejected... Came up first person I saw was Mr. Ranger he hit me with the throw bag and pulled me in. A little embarrassing but thanks Ranger!

Pool and a pond... Pond be good for you.
Stiff N' Wett is offline   Reply With Quote