Old 06-13-2013   #161
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Originally Posted by montuckyhuck View Post
Swimming Stone Chest is bad m'kay
Yessssss. I once ran it with a kayaker that swam SC at the very first drop. He went WAY downstream, and his boat a couple of more miles (yes, at least fully one, of course it seemed like dozens). He thought he broke his leg, I've never seen anyone that beat up, but I'm not around a lot of kayak swims. I think his thigh looked kind of like that, could hardly walk on it for a week or so. Hope you came out OK.

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013   #162
The Bitterroot, Montana
Originally Posted by glenn View Post
Damn. I was just thinking about how your trip probably went better than ours... guess I was wrong. Heal up buddy.
Turns out I really need a new PFD. I got flipped, which I wasn't that worried about, but then I rolled up and realized I was in the NO NO pocket on the left. Some rodeo and rock hits and I pulled and saw the light about twice for the next 200-300 yards. People who saw said they couldn't believe how little buoyancy I had. Like disappear for 100', pop up, go into washing machine, disappear another 100'. Some where in there I hit some rocks. Looks bad but I am still strapping on a harness and spurs at work every day so fuck it. I was about due for that as it has been a while since I took a beating. Glenn, lets go boat in a few weeks!!

montuckyhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013   #163
Albany, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
First flip - Wolf Creek Rapid on the Selway

Finally met the fate I've been challenging for quite a while.

Couldn't think of a better place and time for my first flip.

PS - yes a bootie drink can be other than beer
malloypc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013   #164
Swim number two above Tunnel Three on Clear Creek. Boat finally pinned between Narrows and Rigo. Thanks to the boater who spotted my paddle and gave me a lift! Bootie beer chugged.
Grif for President!
deepstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013   #165
Front Range, Colorado
River 1, Me 0

A week and a half late but better late than never.
Getting in that after work lap having a fun run down lower clear creek. Elbow falls flipped me but 3 tries and and the wet side was down again. Scream 1/4 mile entrance was easy caught an eddy, watched my buddy go by and peeled out into current. Wanting to have nice left to right momentum to hit that 2nd drop (goal posts, cripps, not sure of name). I started out in the center and started coming right. I guess I did not get far enough right.  Hit the hole and lost all momentum, tried to paddle out but river gods wanted some sport. Flipped me, rolled up facing left bank. Tried to paddle out. Teased me for 30 seconds with some hope but then pulled me back in and flipped me again. My skirt popped and next thing I knew I was swimming. Bumpy ride but ended up on the left bank. Ended up climbing up to the road and going for a jog watching my boat on other side of river. Some nice folks were down at the diversion portage who sprang into action when they saw my boat go by eventually pushing it into an eddy. They even found my paddle. Bad news was that front grab loop caught somehting on its unmanned mission and peeled open the front of the boat like a banana.
Looking for a new boat and can't wait to get back out there. 
iSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013   #166
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I got washed out of an r3 mini me at the top hole of Deliverance rapid on the upper Clear Creek swam the rest of it and my bros pulled me in before Phoenix. Thrashed a few rocks and tore a huge hole in my dry pants but have never felt more alive! Thanks brothers!
Pool and a pond... Pond be good for you.
Stiff N' Wett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013   #167
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Did you feel more alive than randy savage. I don't think so Brother

Macho Man on coke - YouTube
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013   #168
Conifer, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Originally Posted by caspermike View Post
Did you feel more alive than randy savage. I don't think so Brother

Macho Man on coke - YouTube
definitely was comparable.. tossed gaggers for 5 min afterwards
Known Cairn Hater

·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><(( ((º>
Flohotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013   #169
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
I swam three times on Monday in the Golden play park. Took my dad paddling for his second time in a tandem IK. On our second run, I got cocky with a small wave below the rodeo hole and flipped, which gave the old man his first whitewater swim. I got back in the boat, but he got to swim the next drop, where I flipped again. A fine person named Glen (Thanks!) retrieved one of our paddles while I hand paddled into the huge eddy on river right.

Later we screwed up the eddy below the library hole, and had an incredibly uneventful swim there, but the playboaters there liked our style :P
teepegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013   #170
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I definitely went right at the fork in the road with Macho Man! I was a star shining brighter than all the others! That video is absolutely rediculus! Thanks for sharing.

Pool and a pond... Pond be good for you.
Stiff N' Wett is offline   Reply With Quote