Old 06-10-2013   #121
Paddling Since: 1994
Royal Gorge 1500cfs.

I got a little lax trying to casually row the right side of sledgehammer on saturday. Thought i was clear enough of it but ended up getting sucked in and had a long surf session in the sticky hole on the bottom right against the wall. I was bucked out after several minutes of trashy highsiding. I got spit out of the hole quick and had an easy swim out on the right once i saw my raft was still gettind surfed. Boat popped out upright a couple minutes later and got snagged right away in the eddy below by my crew as i was making my way down the bank to the other boats. I somehow broke 2 paddles i wasnt even using and lost my shades. I did however provide good entertainment for my whole crew who passed me one by one and got to watch me surf.

zach baird
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013   #122
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Well that damn Cripps hole in the screaming 1/4 mile kicked my but yesterday. I tried all the tricks KSC suggested with no progress. The hole let me out immediately after pulling, but swimming through the rocky runout is not much fun.

Thank you Tim for corralling me and my gear. We had the pleasure of watching an R3 rig run through this thing as we stopped in on shuttle. front guys ejected instantaneously but the capn did an impressive job of surfing it. Not sure the raft would have flushed until the water dropped. He was quite please I chose my rope over my camera for viewing, though it is not clear why i didnt do both.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013   #123
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Cripps hole strikes again! Somebody out to mount a go pro to that rock on the side while the flows are up. The carnage video would be awesome.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013   #124
I'm wrong 50% of the time
RFV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
We had a heck of a weekend.
6/8/13: Eagle River: Dowd Chute to Edwards Mile: 2000 cfs: Super Puma (R2)
B-Ride and I entered Dowd river right, moved to the middle and were having a good run. The boat hit the last 3 holes and stalled in the middle hole. Boat went a little sideways and B-Ride missed a high side and ended up in the water. I stayed in the boat, while B-Ride flushed downstream. The boat conveniently ended up in the eddy as I tried to watch for B-Ride. I then fumbled my paddle and it ended up in the river. As I reached for the paddle, I slipped over the edge and into the water. Still no paddle, and in the water, I climbed back on the boat, grabbed a spare paddle and headed downstream to pick up B-Ride. Found him 50 yards downstream and recovered my paddle at the bridge after the bus stop.

6/9/13: Yampa River: Cross Mountain Gorge: 4500 cfs: Super Puma (R3) / JPW Cuttthroat (Oars)
We headed into Cross Mountain knowing the level was BIG. Jared and I had never been in and Brian MFL and B-Ride had, but a lower river levels. We had talked about lots of scenarios and made plans to line boats around if we as a team did not feel up to the challenge. Osterizer was big and scary looking, but we saw a runnable line on river right over the rock in the upper section. The upper drop is the meaty hole at this level and the 2nd hole is more of a large wave. Both boats had good runs. We then scouted Snake Pit. The river right side looked very mean and we decided that the left line and then the middle were the places to be. Brian MFL had a great line into the drop, but was slightly left of where the sweet spot was. He got sucked back into and tossed off his boat. Separated for a few seconds, Brian was reunited with his boat and held on over some meaty holes and rocks. He finally got back on the Oars in the run out and eddied out to wait for us. Our line was great over the drop, but we stalled out in the slack water after the drop and ended up against the river left rock. As we tried to progress forward, the right tube became submerged and the boat started to crawl up the rock. We all high sided to no avail. We looked at each other and knew we were going for a hard swim after what we had just seen Brian MFL encounter. Jared cleared the undercut rock and made his way to shore pretty quick. I clawed my way onto the bottom of the boat and tried to get B-Ride who was on the side hanging on back on the bottom with me. As we approached the second half of the rapid, We realized that B-Ride was going to have to let go of the boat so he did not end up between the boat and rocks or under the boat in a hole. He shoved off for a swim through the mank to shore. I made it through the holes and rocks and B MFL was ready with a throw bag. He had a great “football” toss right into my arms. I grabbed the boat, both paddles and tried to hang onto the rope. I could not hold the boat and the rope and the boat started to pendulum to the shore. I slipped off the boat and into the drink. Too Bad. So Sad. I let go of the rope and go back on the boat. Found one of the paddles and then the other and started to make my way to shore. Two smallish rapids later, I go the boat to the shore and flipped over. The crew came down a few minutes later and we did a post action assessment and injury check. 1 lost paddle, and a few cut, scrapes and bruises later we continued on. Man that canyon and the rapids were sweet.
brendodendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013   #125
The ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Okay, I get to fess up to a swim--Royal Gorge on Saturday, too.
I think it was a rapid called Grateful Dead where a lateral wave in a hole sucked the front end of the boat down (and me with it) and almost flipped us. The boat spun over me and before I got too far away, I was able to grab an extended paddle. I was in the water for all of 15 seconds; I know this because there's video evidence.
robemega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013   #126
Grand Junction, Colorado
Bless me father, for I have swimmed. I recently ran the Canyon section of the Payette River, guiding a bunch of newbies down with perfect lines. After the canyon I said, "now we'll do the easy rapids in Swirley Canyon".... The river gods must have been angered because 2 minutes later I was upside down, swimming out of my creek boat in class II. It also happens that I did all of this in front of the new Boise National Forest River Ranger.

It reminds me of the time that I accidentally dropped my kayak into big falls while doing the portage with Grant Amaral (the old river ranger).... that was the first time I met him.
Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013   #127
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Originally Posted by Bpsig View Post
Been a little too sheepish I guess to throw this up here but I've had a few swims so far this year. Three come to mind, all on the Gallatin. Most recent one was just above the 35 MPH bridge, had a eddy peel out that went all sorts of wrong, Glenn helped get my boat to shore. A different swim happened just after House Rock a few days before, and once again Glenn, saved my boat and was a huge help. And finally had one last swim just after rodeo hole on the Gallatin, swam for a while, got recirculated on a hole, finally made it to shore, all around good times.

The River Gods were appeased with a bootie beer for each.
But how was Glenn appeased? Bootie case of beer?

Good stories Outlaw, isn't that the way it works, humble pie is good to eat every so often!
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013   #128
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
I'll confess. Swam twice tonight at the Glenwood wave. No real reason. Suck it up, move on.
Paul59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013   #129
GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Two swims yesterday--one on Gore Creek, one just below Dowd Chute.

Missed my first roll and while setting up again started bouncing my head along the rocks. Felt like the right time to eject. Tried to wet re-enter the boat but couldn't quite get a handle on it before it was time to swim like hell.

Felt bad for making the group chase my junkshow down the river, so I collected myself and vowed not to let it happen twice.

Err, not so much...

On the second as I was going over I was screaming (inside my head, of course) "You have to get this roll!!" And I think I had it. Until I didn't--the buckle on my right thigh strap sheared and with that I was instantly swimming. Let go of my paddle on this one, I think when I was pushing/spinning off of a boulder I'd stopped against. Which made it even more of a junkshow.

Bought the boys dinner for their help but that doesn't make being 'that guy' any more OK...
mikesee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013   #130
East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
Took another dip today in the Gardner run. Lame, looks like I was doing the scuba exit. Yankee Jim is huge right now and I skirted it like a little baby. I would have swam for sure. Time to switch to a bigger boat.

spider is offline   Reply With Quote