Old 06-03-2013   #111
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2007
Originally Posted by powdahound76 View Post
Not sure if this is a swim (I didnt think so), but upon hearing the story my buddy was giving me grief about not posting here.
I tried burying my nose in the rodeo hole in Golden on thursday last week, see if I could get some pop out of it yet. Skirt imploded and I flipped with no pop. Hard to roll a full kayak but I did, then paddled into the eddy until the nose was touching rocks and had to bail as I could paddle no further. I did exit while in mid-thigh water from a submerged but upright boat.

Buzzards decide and I will do my booty beer tomorrow after boating if deemed a swim.

Lesson learned here, if your regular skirt isnt up to creek work anymore due to some blowouts, dont use your wifes Easy Peasy skirt even if it fits, it will pop off very easy.
That's a hard one and can be argued either way. Did you step out of your boat once you got to shore or did you tip over and swim out? I say if you technically swam out of your boat its a swim. If you stepped out it's not.

You need to be at peace with the bootie beer situation. If in doubt I would do the bootie beer and make sure the river gods are at peace.

I did a bootie beer a couple years ago because I swam out of a ducky. The hole was flipping 8 out of 10 rafts so I have no chance.

Aroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013   #112
BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
No swim. Paddled to shore in a controlled manner and exited the boat at your convenience not the rivers.

The sunshine walked beside her
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013   #113
Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
I'm a big bootie proponent. That said, I'd give you a hard time but I wouldn't say you earned one!
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013   #114
Shit Creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I stepped out. I had to release my backband on one side because with it tightened up I can only really come out upside down.
MT$Runner, I am a proponent of big bootys too, but dont tell my wife......
Shopping for a new skirt tomorrow. Found a skirt with a zipper on the deck online, I thought avoiding the zipper was the whole reason kayakers wear skirts...
Speak of Peace, (but carry a big gun)
powdahound76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013   #115
Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I belong to team I suck!

Sunday swam double knife, damn it's rocky in there! the eyes roll but I didn't! Damn i suck at this sport maybe time to take up golf!
Normal is a setting on your washing machine!
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013   #116
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Swims, booties and broken paddles

Well, it's good to see I'm not the only one swimming this year! I'm not a regular buzzard but I will own up to 2 recent swims.

Swim #1: with juicy flows in First Gorge of Lime, I blew the move above Dragon's Back, boofing with too little right angle, and ended up swimming out of that nasty little left hole which has certainly gone worse for others at high flows. While holding onto my paddle and bumping down some rocks below the drop in pursuit of my boat, my paddle chocked and when I resurfaced I had only half of it in my hand. The 4 Corners crew helped mop me up, thanks boys! Mexican Lager out of a boot really ain't that bad.

Swim#2: My back up paddle was an AT2 and I thought I'd get more than a few rapids in before it broke. It did in fact break on its first reinstatement on a class 5 drop as I plugged entrance falls on the left, NR. The cave was friendly enough and Ben West was kind enough to get me Josh Mack's breakdown, much obliged fellas! Dale's Pale Ale out of a boot is even better!

No more expensive bent shaft paddles for me, went with a Werner straight shaft with fiberglass blades. Hopefully that'll be the last paddle I break this season. Swimming on the other hand ensures beer at the takeout, even if it is out of a boot. But, I guess that's not the point...
kevinhindtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013   #117
Prineville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2010
Swam twice at Bruno Mtn. on the N. Santiam Saturday. First one, got side surfed in a hole for 15-20 seconds. Then got window shaded into a boulder and boat was peeled off. Second time, dropped into a little hole, flipped. Left thigh came out of brace. Foot got stuck behind center column. Peeled shoe off getting out, but grabbed it as it started to float away. I suck. Apparently I needed to readjust my boat.
BryanS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013   #118
Old Guy in a PFD
Tucson, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1967
Originally Posted by RandyP View Post
Sunday swam double knife, damn it's rocky in there! the eyes roll but I didn't! Damn i suck at this sport maybe time to take up golf!
.......from experience; if you can't do a good roll, you can't be good at golf. Take up bouncy boats! All that requires is no common sense and muscle.
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013   #119
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Well, I spent part of my evening last night attempting the upside down line on Rigo...unfortunately I was not able to upright my boat after nearly cleaning the underwater line. 2013 swm count has started: #1.
stubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013   #120
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 2012
Been a little too sheepish I guess to throw this up here but I've had a few swims so far this year. Three come to mind, all on the Gallatin. Most recent one was just above the 35 MPH bridge, had a eddy peel out that went all sorts of wrong, Glenn helped get my boat to shore. A different swim happened just after House Rock a few days before, and once again Glenn, saved my boat and was a huge help. And finally had one last swim just after rodeo hole on the Gallatin, swam for a while, got recirculated on a hole, finally made it to shore, all around good times.

The River Gods were appeased with a bootie beer for each.

Bpsig is offline   Reply With Quote