Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Mountain Buzz Community > Partner's Forum

Old 07-15-2014   #11

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
ok, this'll have to do for now... not as riveting as yours but I bet you spend more time than you want!!

http://www.nwp.usace.army.mil/Missio...h/Cameras.aspx

Old 07-16-2014   #12

Danville, California
Paddling Since: 1970
at first i thought the left image, at your link cam, was a TV. it actually looks identical to our family TV as a kid growing up. it sort of looks like a station dial too!

it's nice to see a cam like this on other rivers to compare to the salmon runs in alaska. i've seen reports that the world's salmon runs worldwide are dropping which pretty much means these bears and others won't have much of a future. even for me, it doesn't hit home until you actually see it live. a TV documentary is good but seeing it live... "what are these bears going to do if there's no salmon to eat?" what are the fisherpersons going to do?

in 1984, arbach took us on a trip to the Eel River California. there was snow on the ground near the banks, so it must have been around february / march. it was a nice sunny, warm day, the flow was about 600. on our way down, lot's of big salmon were running up stream and many had deteriorating skin. there are only a few events in my life i can remember exactly going back decades but this is one of them. it was incredible.

(and i had to jump out of my boat and defend my girlfriend against attacking bears with my paddle. or maybe it was a branch? she says it was a branch but the way i remember it it were attacking bears).

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhaven View Post
ok, this'll have to do for now... not as riveting as yours but I bet you spend more time than you want!!

http://www.nwp.usace.army.mil/Missio...h/Cameras.aspx

theBoatPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014   #13

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
I think at this point at least in the PNW, Many salmon populations are on the rise, definitely since the 70's and 80's. I'm sure on the whole they're down from pre-development levels but progress is being made in some areas. Not sure about AK.

It takes time to fix the mistakes that were made... In some cases dams killed entire river systems, that's 10's to 100's of thousands of fish per system that no longer run. Some are slowly being restored others are definitely in need...All in all I think we're on the right track, just need to stay diligent...
Old 07-16-2014   #14

Danville, California
i my area, western oregon (i am lee S the admin), i've heard on the radio that the salmon runs are way down so bad even commercial fishing has been restricted. that was a few years ago so don't know if better now. and like you say, maybe just a particular river that has a dam.

NOTE: in above bear eating salmon images, you can see this bear is younger, right? it seems the younger, skinnier bears have a pointy head while the bigger, seemingly older bears, have a full more rounded head. i wish we could chat with the Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhaven View Post
I think at this point at least in the PNW, Many salmon populations are on the rise, definitely since the 70's and 80's. I'm sure on the whole they're down from pre-development levels but progress is being made in some areas. Not sure about AK.

It takes time to fix the mistakes that were made... In some cases dams killed entire river systems, that's 10's to 100's of thousands of fish per system that no longer run. Some are slowly being restored others are definitely in need...All in all I think we're on the right track, just need to stay diligent...
Old 07-17-2014   #15

Danville, California
the same server/site has a new Kenya Cam

the description says it's a watering hole. with nice peaceful audio! i'm never going to get any work done anymore!

http://explore.org/live-cams/player/...lookout-camera
Old 07-17-2014   #16

Danville, California
rangers' having a chat at 5pm alaska time

they were on at about 4:15 and were taking questions (i guess as a test) and he announced the official chat is 5pm. he didn't say how viewers are asking questions. i went to their twitter and see this might be the method to ask them questions. he said they'll be at brook falls deck at 5pm.

https://twitter.com/KatmaiNPS
Old 07-17-2014   #17

Danville, California
here they are a diff link
http://explore.org/live-cams/player/...am-lower-river
Old 07-18-2014   #18

Danville, California
the rangers had a live chat for more than an hour

july 17, 2014 the rangers had a live chat for more than an hour.

the said they take twitter questions but it seems to me they only looked at explore.org COMMENTS section (see below how to log in that).

here is the twitter they say they monintor #bearcam
https://twitter.com/hashtag/bearcam?src=hash

they said they broadcast from the river mouth cam
http://explore.org/live-cams/player/...am-lower-river

login in to comment ask questions

sunrise July 18, 2014
Old 07-23-2014   #19

Danville, California
Where's My Fish?

Old 07-23-2014   #20

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
the osprey cam is pretty cool too

momma Osprey is feeding 3, doing awesome, good to see. thanks for sharing the site. also never knew they aimed their butt over the side of the nest and power pooped - ha pretty neat and keeps the nest somewhat poop free.

Kendo is offline   Reply With Quote