WIN a Cascade River Gear DREAMBOAT package! - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-04-2016   #1
Top Quality River Gear

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1960
WIN a Cascade River Gear DREAMBOAT package!

Good Afternoon Beautiful River Riders.... WHO WANTS TO WIN A Cascade River Gear DREAMBOAT PACKAGE?

Yep! You read that right we are giving away a boat package WOO HOO Follow the link below to find out about our "Capture the Rapture" PHOTO CONTEST and how you may be the lucky winner of a new loaded Maravia boat, we aren't skimping on this a YETI and Sawyer Square Tops are in the mix if you so choose!! We are also giving away $100 Gift Certificates once a week to one lucky river rider. We are already getting some amazing entries, this is a contest like no other!!

Follow the link below for all the Rules and Regulations for entering now... READY, SET, GO!

Capture the Rapture Contest | Cascade River Gear
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture the Rapture.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	12365  

Old 10-07-2016   #2

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2008
Hmmmmm...

" By entering this contest you understand that Cascade River Gear, anyone acting on behalf of Cascade River Gear, or its respective licensees, successors and assigns will have the right, where permitted by law, without any further notice, review or consent to print, publish, broadcast, distribute, and use, worldwide in any media now known or hereafter in perpetuity and throughout the World, your entry, including, without limitation, the entry and winnerís name, portrait, picture, voice, likeness, image or statements about the Photo Contest, and biographical information as news, publicity or information and for trade, advertising, public relations and promotional purposes without any further compensation."
gringoanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016   #3

cedar city, Utah
Pretty standard for photo contests by businesses. My local university won an outdoor industry contest via social media photo submissions. Everyone one of the photos submitted by students is now legally allowed to be published by that organization and its members/partners, which is pretty much every major gear manufacturer in the US.

The one element that isn't standard about this arrangement is the Grand Prize is huge, like $12k total. That's good compensation even for a decent professional photographer, assuming they don't over submit every river photo they have.
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016   #4
Top Quality River Gear

Boise, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringoanthony View Post
Hmmmmm...

" By entering this contest you understand that Cascade River Gear, anyone acting on behalf of Cascade River Gear, or its respective licensees, successors and assigns will have the right, where permitted by law, without any further notice, review or consent to print, publish, broadcast, distribute, and use, worldwide in any media now known or hereafter in perpetuity and throughout the World, your entry, including, without limitation, the entry and winnerís name, portrait, picture, voice, likeness, image or statements about the Photo Contest, and biographical information as news, publicity or information and for trade, advertising, public relations and promotional purposes without any further compensation."
Hi Gringoanthony,

Yes this is very standard for this style of photo contest. If you read through the reason for this photo contest it is to have photos we can use in our 2017 catalogs and through other marketing avenues bringing in boaters and rivers worldwide to share with all of our people! Or at least the worldwide photos. The killer Grand Prize is actually worth up to $14,500 where the winner will be building their "DREAMBOAT" with Maravia and Cascade River Gear and we will be recording the process and then featuring them in our catalog, that one may not hit until 2018 with deadlines and such. It's a killer deal and you really can't go wrong playing with us, especially if you win a boat! WAHOO Let me know if you have any other questions, I am always happy to help. Kindly, Renee
Old 10-07-2016   #5

Boise, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by restrac2000 View Post
Pretty standard for photo contests by businesses. My local university won an outdoor industry contest via social media photo submissions. Everyone one of the photos submitted by students is now legally allowed to be published by that organization and its members/partners, which is pretty much every major gear manufacturer in the US.

The one element that isn't standard about this arrangement is the Grand Prize is huge, like $12k total. That's good compensation even for a decent professional photographer, assuming they don't over submit every river photo they have.

No, rights grabs are not standard. Just because your local university did it, does not mean it's ok or standard.

Whether you win or not, you give all of your rights to Cascade, in perpetuity. In return, over 99% of the entrants get absolutely nothing. There's absolutely nothing "huge" about nothing.

The reality is, it's exponentially cheaper for Cascade to hold a photo contest, (even with a nice grand prize) where they pay nothing whatsoever for the entries that they use in their advertising, catalogs, website, any way they want, for as long as they want, than it is to hire a photographer to create them and/or to pay proper licensing for images.

Cascade's actual cost on the prizes is absolutely nothing compared to what they would have to pay to hire a photographer to create and license all the images that they will use (or to simply license images that have already been created). $12K in rafting gear is nothing in comparison.

If Cascade were to apply the rights grab only to the winner, it might be reasonable. The winner is getting compensated. But to apply such a grab to every single image that is entered is in no way reasonable.
Old 10-07-2016   #6
Top Quality River Gear

Boise, Idaho
Quote:
No, rights grabs are not standard. Just because your local university did it, does not mean it's ok or standard.

Whether you win or not, you give all of your rights to Cascade, in perpetuity. In return, over 99% of the entrants get absolutely nothing. There's absolutely nothing "huge" about nothing.

The reality is, it's exponentially cheaper for Cascade to hold a photo contest, (even with a nice grand prize) where they pay nothing whatsoever for the entries that they use in their advertising, catalogs, website, any way they want, for as long as they want, than it is to hire a photographer to create them and/or to pay proper licensing for images.

Cascade's actual cost on the prizes is absolutely nothing compared to what they would have to pay to hire a photographer to create and license all the images that they will use (or to simply license images that have already been created). $12K in rafting gear is nothing in comparison.

If Cascade were to apply the rights grab only to the winner, it might be reasonable. The winner is getting compensated. But to apply such a grab to every single image that is entered is in no way reasonable.
JUST FYI.... we have already had our 3 photoshoots this season with our paid professional photographer of 20+ years, as we do every single year. We also have one more professional photoshoot coming up that we will pay our photographer for, once again, for the new 2017 gear. We are not trying to save money on our photoshoots by giving away a boat package, that made me giggle a little I'm not going to lie. What we are doing is having some fun with our customers and fellow river riders. If you do not want to give us the right to use your photos then by all means, DO NOT enter. It really isn't something to argue about, this is something to HAVE FUN WITH!! So let's have some fun fellow Boise Boater or not... this is a choice you get to make. Kindly, Renee
Old 10-07-2016   #7

cedar city, Utah
Good on ya'll. That is a great prize package and chance for somebody. I am sure plenty of people are sharing photos of their trips.
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016   #8

Fort Fun, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
Quote:
I don't see the big deal even if this was the motivation. If you are a professional photographer and that is an issue for you then don't submit. I'm not one, so if my photo is good enough to be in some advert but not win that's no big deal.

Of course I thought it was a ploy to help the FBI find FLDS leader Lyle Jeffs - who's lawyer said he didn't know where he was and could have been taken up in the Rapture....
trevko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016   #9

Boise, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cascade River Gear View Post
JUST FYI.... we have already had our 3 photoshoots this season with our paid professional photographer of 20+ years, as we do every single year. We also have one more professional photoshoot coming up that we will pay our photographer for, once again, for the new 2017 gear. We are not trying to save money on our photoshoots by giving away a boat package, that made me giggle a little I'm not going to lie. What we are doing is having some fun with our customers and fellow river riders. If you do not want to give us the right to use your photos then by all means, DO NOT enter. It really isn't something to argue about, this is something to HAVE FUN WITH!! So let's have some fun fellow Boise Boater or not... this is a choice you get to make. Kindly, Renee
If all you're trying to do is have fun, they why don't you remove the unlimited, perpetual rights grab from every single entry? It's 100% unnecessary. Especially if you already paid a photographer to provide all the images you need.

I'm not trying to argue, just pointing out unreasonable rights terms to people who are likely completely unaware of them.
Old 10-07-2016   #10
Top Quality River Gear

Boise, Idaho
Oh Dang Trevko, we have been found out... bwahahahahahahaha and here I thought our Pink Panther approach would go undetected

restrac2000 - It is going to be AMAZING!! We are getting fun photos and really funny or heartfelt stories that go along with them. I am loving seeing new stretches of rivers and then different views of rivers I have floated a bunch. GOOD TIMES!