Old 09-19-2013   #1

Kernville, California
Paddling Since: 1975
The HYSIDE NEO Line

Hey All,

Check out our new NEO line (Neoprene)! Available in the Mini-me, Mini-Max and PaddleCat only!!

Priced approx. 15% off stock Hypalon HYSIDE's:

MODEL Hypalon Neoprene

Mini-Me $2175 $1849
Mini-Max $2375 $2020
PaddleCat $2100 $1785

The original coating that predated Hypalon was
Neoprene (NEO) and we still offer it today. Same model designs, urethane
bottom chafers and durability you’ve come to expect from HYSIDE.
The NEO Line is priced 15% off stock Hypalon models, available in the
Mini-Me, Mini-Max and PaddleCat only. Call for details or click here to see pics.

This is also Pre-Season Time!!!! Free Freight on all 2014 orders placed before Dec. 13th and 10% off ALL Accessories! Our 2014 private boater catalog will be out shortly, so STAY TUNED...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Neo logo-01.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	7135   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014 COVER.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	7136  

Hyside Inflatables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #2

Kernville, California
Neoprene Sheen

Hey Guys,

One more thing to keep in mind with our NEO line is it's not the Neoprene you're probably used to, with the "baby powdered" look. Our Neoprene fabric has been rotocured and has a nice sheen to it, as you can probably tell from the pics.

Feel free to call or email us with any questions on the new NEO line.

Happy Boating!

The HYSIDE Crew

Old 09-20-2013   #3

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
so i'm not very savvy on materials used for making rafts but i would like to know the advantage of neoprene vs hypalon and pvc?
Is it just more cost effective or are there performance characteristics that make it favorable?
I have read that the pvc material is harder to roll up and stiffer as opposed to hypalon but haven't read anything about neoprene.
mcfarrel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #4

Kernville, California
Neoprene vs Hypalon/PVC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarrel View Post
so i'm not very savvy on materials used for making rafts but i would like to know the advantage of neoprene vs hypalon and pvc?
Is it just more cost effective or are there performance characteristics that make it favorable?
I have read that the pvc material is harder to roll up and stiffer as opposed to hypalon but haven't read anything about neoprene.
Hi Mcfarrel,

Great question! Both Neoprene and Hypalon are synthetic rubber coatings. Neoprene was the first of the two and it's widely been used since WWII as a very durable coating for pontoon bridges, life rafts, tank carriers and you've probably seen the Neoprene J-rigs/snout tubes floating down the Grand Canyon.

Hypalon is basically a newer technology and has a few key differences that make it somewhat more desirable by boaters. The main one being color options. Neoprene cannot hold a pigment, so "you can have any color you want, as long as it's black". The only other differences are better chemical resistance (not relevant, unless boating in acid) and UV resistance (but we're talking DECADES...refer to old snout tubes still on the river).

Most any Hypalon boat manufacturer, to some degree, has Neoprene in their Hypalon coating. It adheres well to the base fabric and is often the first coating applied to the base fabric.

I guess the best analogy to differentiate the two is like Diesel vs. Unleaded. Diesel is cheaper (should be anyway ) because it takes less of a process to produce it. Same with Neoprene..no pigments, less processes to produce, equals less cost. So hence the discount we can offer for the NEO line, yet still offering a durable rubber boat.

Without inevitably getting into a heated debate over rubber vs. plastic, here are some great characteristics of Neoprene and Hypalon:

Hypalon/Neoprene is easy to roll, store and is very durable in transit.

Hypalon/Neoprene is a cured fabric, meaning it is vulcanized and stable PRIOR to fabrication. It has outstanding UV and abrasion resistance.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tank Pic.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	7156  
Old 09-20-2013   #5

Colo Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Is hypalon getting difficult to acquire? I thought I read some time ago that the production of it (by Dupont?) was being decreased.
David L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #6

Kernville, California
Hypalon

Quote:
Originally Posted by David L View Post
Is hypalon getting difficult to acquire? I thought I read some time ago that the production of it (by Dupont?) was being decreased.
Another good question. The term 'Hypalon' itself is just a trademark name for chlorosulfonated polyethylene (CSPE) synthetic rubber (CSM). Dupont coined the term, but stopped production of their Hypalon long ago.

(This question would probably come next, so since they don't sell it or produce it anymore, the trademark is no longer active or enforced...plus the term Hypalon is way easier to remember than the alternative .)

We're actually the only manufacturer that makes our own Hypalon fabric. From raw materials to finished product in the box, we produce it all. We produce and stock plenty of it in a variety of different colors. Blue, Yellow, Green, Gray, Red, White, Black and Orange.
Old 09-20-2013   #7

montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Hi, since you are feilding questions about neoprene, I though I would ask one as well.

A number of years back a friend of mine sanded and applied a urethane coating to an old (ancient) Green River boat. Later one winter the boat got wet in storage and kind of rotted and fell apart.

He was under the impression that neoprene needed to "breath" and that the urethane prevented that and somehow caused the moisture to rot out his boat.

Do you think there is any truth to this? Would one of your neoprene boats be compatible with a commercial urethane coating such as system 6?
mikepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #8

Kernville, California
Neoprene/Urethane

Hi mikepart,

Neoprene and urethane would be no different than Hypalon and urethane. Our NEO line comes equipped with the same urethane bottom chafers as our Hypalon models do. You should be able to apply System-6 all day to your boat, with no ill effect.

I think this circumstance had more to do with the age of the boat and moisture. Those two things don't go over well with any boat. If it was ancient like you said, the neoprene could've started to give, it could've had water/moisture in the tubes for sometime which could cause the nylon (base fabric underneath the coating) to start to rot over time. Just a hypothesis, but that'd be our guess. Keeping a boat dry (moisture out of tubes/floor as well), especially during long term storage will prevent this kind of degradation from occurring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepart View Post
Hi, since you are feilding questions about neoprene, I though I would ask one as well.

A number of years back a friend of mine sanded and applied a urethane coating to an old (ancient) Green River boat. Later one winter the boat got wet in storage and kind of rotted and fell apart.

He was under the impression that neoprene needed to "breath" and that the urethane prevented that and somehow caused the moisture to rot out his boat.

Do you think there is any truth to this? Would one of your neoprene boats be compatible with a commercial urethane coating such as system 6?
Old 09-27-2013   #9

Kernville, California
Talking Some NEO Pics

Some NEO Pics...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	nfsp3.png
Views:	422
Size:	757.4 KB
ID:	7191   Click image for larger version

Name:	0809-SPlatteRiver-086.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	7192  

Name:	DSCN0786.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	7193   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-08-06-08-20-37-1.png
Views:	243
Size:	779.4 KB
ID:	7194  

Name:	0809-SPlatteRiver-181.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	7195   Click image for larger version

Name:	0809-SPlatteRiver-064.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	7196  

Name:	0809-SPlatteRiver-037.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	7197   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130420_122148.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	7198  

Old 03-23-2014   #10

Totah, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 07
Does hyside have any neo paddlecats to sell right now or soon?

suzannetheotter is offline   Reply With Quote