Old 04-19-2013   #1

legend
SWR Class in Taos - April 27/28

Hi Everyone,
It's about to get warm next week. Evan Stafford and I have been hired by New Wave Rafting company to teach a Kayaker Specific Swiftwater rescue class next weekend, April 27th and 28th. We also will have a small group of private rafters, so there are more spots left in the rafting Level 1 or 2 group as well. For kayakers we will be offering the Level 1, 2, and 3 SWR course based on the Downstream Edge curriculum. The class will be on the Rio Grande race course section. Water flow should be perfect for a class, and hopefully the warm weather will bring up the Upper and Lower taos box for additional paddling opportunities.

Click here to get the details. You can print the form and mail your check to new wave rafting. Level 2 – Swiftwater Rescue – Taos April 27-28th, 2013 |

Here is more info on our SWR classes: River Rescue |

Thanks,
Nick Wigston
Downstream Edge

N. Wigston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013   #2

Taos Ski Valley, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1987
Nick,
Just so you know you are entering a NM feud that has been going on for a few years. There is already a established outfitter that has been teaching Swiftwater courses annually since 1983. Since you are not licensed by the BLM to operate on the Rio Grande you are not able to offer services on the Rio Grande. I would hate for the BLM to have get involved in this situation since pirating is against the law. You can attempt to launder this anyway you like with New Wave Rafting but we all know whats going down here and we (fellow sw instructors, NM river outfitters, NM river guides and kayakers, NM BLM) really dont appreciate it. So please pull your plans to to run this course. If NWR wants to hire you to teach his guides thats great but once you advertise to the rest of the world your breaking the law and that not only sucks but it makes the locals angry.
Thanks for your consideration
JOHN WEINMEISTER

CJWeinmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013   #3

Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
If he was hired by a NM outfitter, isn't he technically working under their permits/licenses?

Not to stir the pot, but I was just curious...
DoubleYouEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013   #4

Paddling Since: 2006
Wino is probably just working off hangover, I know the only locals you would be pissing off down here, Nick, is probably him, since he has been running the swr racket in Taos for years. Being a long time kayaker and have taken my aca with Nick Wigston here in Taos, which I loved and learned tons from, welcome the kayaker specific swr course and with as low a water as we'll have down here should be a perfect time for it.
hansvhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013   #5

Paddling Since: 1987
Good try Hans, but coming from another suspected pirate kayak instructor you have zero credibility.
CJWeinmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013   #6

Hood River, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2163
Nick teaches a great swr course. If you are losing business to him, then try upping your game and teaching the best damn course out there instead of clinging to a monopoly and a lame "locals only" mentality to keep yourself in business.

What the hell does a "pirate" instructor even mean? From what you've said, it seems to mean that you can't attract customers on your own merits and rely on BLM rules to maintain "your territory."

Since you decided to respond to Nick on an open forum, I think it would be great for you to explain the situation more thoroughly so that we can all understand your point. As of now, you come off sounding kinda weak. Please help me change my view.
David Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013   #7

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2009
I've signed up for the class, and want to see it happen. I was looking for a kayak-specific SWR class and this was the only one that I could find.

There's plenty of room on the river...

Pedro
prgsmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013   #8

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
My understanding is that this type of class is OK when the instructors are working through the rafting company with the permits, which they are in this case. As another example, Otter Bar Kayak school does a grand canyon trip where they bring instructors on the trip and use the commercial raft companies grand permit.

Thumbs down on the pissy territorial slander of river professionals to better personal self interest.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013   #9
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
What the fuck is a suspected pirate kayak instructor? Is that like being a suspected asshole? Great business model guy.
Old 04-22-2013   #10

legend
sorry, I didn't realize we couldn't have rafters in the class. Kayakers only.

Nick

N. Wigston is offline   Reply With Quote