Old 04-25-2013   #21

ebbing, flowing..., CO, NM
Paddling Since: 1985
I just want to say that I LOVE ALL OF YOU GUYS! (Yes, even & Especially the angry raving lunatic...) And that I'm sure we can all get along! I am really looking forward to my re-cert week after next with Unc, Harv & JW! Besides, let them kayakers have their own course... I know why I carry all the beer too!

But really I want to take deepstrokes pirate course!!! Pilaaaaaar! Aaaaahhh! I Love it!

Old 04-27-2013   #22

Taos Ski Valley, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1987
Never said anything about the quality of Nicks teaching, dont know never seen it, wont comment on it. Harv explained the pirate thing about as good as anyone could with out going into a lecture. Im a known asshole with a anger issue and I dont really give a shit what all youall think about me. I know the quality of my courses is very high, other wise I wouldnt be getting contracted by boaters (kayak and raft), BLM, USFS, police, fire and border patrol to run courses for 15 years. I know that a lot of people (including myself) have worked very hard to make a living and provide a quality experience to our guests off the rivers of Northern NM and if we tried to take our operations north in CO without the correct permiting etc. we would be run off with fines and citations.
Cheers to you all

CJWeinmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013   #23

Buena Vista, Colorado
Ok John, I have to call BS on that one.

If I recall, a few years back you and Steve Harris were on the Arkansas River teaching swiftwater classes for Wilderness Aware on a contract that had been held for years prior by Bill Dvorak (a Rescue 3 Instructor Trainer).

That sounds like exactly the same situation as the one you describe with exception being that you were the one operating on a river you weren't permitted on using the outfitters permit to offer the course.

I recall Dvorak being pretty upset about losing that contract to an out of state outfitter that wasn't permitted on the Ark.

Smells like hypocrisy to me...
whitewaterin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013   #24

Taos Ski Valley, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1987
Steve Harris/Far Flung Adventures is a licensed and permitted outfitter on the Arkansas Headwaters.
CJWeinmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013   #25

Taos, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1989
I get wet just thiiiiinkin'bout it!

Looking forward to our upcoming SRRP May3-5! It's gonna be ACTION PACKED, high-quality, hands-on...SERIOUS FUN.

Did I mention we're permitted and licensed on the Arkansas river too? We'd be happy to provide training for any interested parties, just contact us for more info.

And finally,

Any kayak instructors out there who have clients/or want to teach on the Rio Grande should/can contact New Mexico River Adventures as they are the premier kayak outfitter now on the Rio.

Oh, and go run the Piedra for cryin' out loud while it's still running (currently 1000+)!
Riverology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013   #26

Buena Vista, Colorado
Yep, Steve has a permit but when you were running what by your definition are "pirate trips" on the Arkansas for Wilderness Aware you weren't on Far Flung's permit nor were you paying the required use fees to AHRA - that use was credited to and paid for by Wilderness Aware.

You coming up to the Arkansas, teaching swiftwater and taking business away from a local outfitter is exactly the same scenario you're crying about in your OP.

Own it.
whitewaterin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013   #27

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
So... I am not NOT taking sides on this one as I'll be first to admit that I am not privy to all the facts nor all the complexities of the various permitting processes.... but... I know the Ark and the Rio and I'm fairly sure I know who almost everyone here is. That being said, who are you whitewaterin? At last some people can actually sign their name to a post and not look to have created a new Buzz account just to chime in here.
~alan c.
Old 04-29-2013   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJWeinmeister View Post
Im a known asshole with a anger issue
and your a hypocrite to boot. no wonder your getting all bent out of shape about a pro top notch swr instructor coming into your hood. if you aint the only game in town, i can see how you'd be scared about that kind of competition and how your custys are probably ready to drop you like a hot headed potatoe if they got a choice. if i was your custys and saw my name in your posts id be lookin for somebody else. maybe you need to do some anger management classes instead of swr?
Old 04-30-2013   #29

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJWeinmeister View Post
Steve Harris/Far Flung Adventures is a licensed and permitted outfitter on the Arkansas Headwaters.
and New Wave Rafting is a permitted outfitter on the Rio Grande.... how are the situations any different? With the attitude you have presented publicly on this forum I assure you, you have lost business. I certainly will not recommend your classes to anyone based simply on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepstroke View Post
In the event that this course fills up, I will be available to teach a genuine pirate SWR class. I will go over a myriad of topics including, but not limited to: Reading Water With an Eye Patch, Getting the Most Out of Your Parrot as Scout, River Booty Recovery, and Advanced Hook and Rope Techniques. The course will be taught on the Pilaaaaaargh section of the Rio Grande and cost is eighty Pieces of Eight or one gold doubloon. I hope to see you there!
Best post I have seen in a long time Deepstroke, excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivervibe View Post
So... I am not NOT taking sides on this one as I'll be first to admit that I am not privy to all the facts nor all the complexities of the various permitting processes.... but... I know the Ark and the Rio and I'm fairly sure I know who almost everyone here is. That being said, who are you whitewaterin? At last some people can actually sign their name to a post and not look to have created a new Buzz account just to chime in here.
~alan c.
You might be surprised how many people have lurked on this site for years and not created an account. I'm not sure who whitewaterin is, but it sounds like he/she has been around for a little while.... I wouldn't assume it's an alias.
Old 04-30-2013   #30

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
perhaps I should clarify what I said about whitewaterin....

I don't see anything wrong with joining specifically to post factual information on an open forum. There is no expectation of full personal disclosure online. In fact, if whitewaterin is a local business owner they probably made a wise decision in keeping their names out of their post. Perhaps they learned what not to do from Mr. Weinmeister's negative advertising campaign...