Old 04-22-2013   #11

legend
also, I am an employee of New Wave Rafting, so I'm helping them to advertise the class, as many employees of companies do. He just wanted someone who knew how to teach. That's why he hired me, I have experience. The plan is to continue to be an employee for him working part time to teach rescue. This is not at all illegal or wrong in any way. Maybe people need to do a little research before bad mouthing people on mountain buzz.

N. Wigston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013   #12

legend
and the two courses I taught in Taos many years ago were also fully legal as I was hired by companies with permits. I get companies calling me from all over the country to come to work for them and teach for them. When companies want to offer a course like this one, if they actually want people to sign up for it, they are naturally going to want someone with extensive teaching experience and a solid reputation for teaching classes. The class is more marketable for the company if they have an instructor that is known for their level of quality. I offer that level of quality, and every person who has ever been taught SWR from me will attest to that.

N. Wigston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013   #13

Somewhere, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJWeinmeister View Post
Nick,
Just so you know you are entering a NM feud that has been going on for a few years. There is already a established outfitter that has been teaching Swiftwater courses annually since 1983. Since you are not licensed by the BLM to operate on the Rio Grande you are not able to offer services on the Rio Grande. I would hate for the BLM to have get involved in this situation since pirating is against the law. You can attempt to launder this anyway you like with New Wave Rafting but we all know whats going down here and we (fellow sw instructors, NM river outfitters, NM river guides and kayakers, NM BLM) really dont appreciate it. So please pull your plans to to run this course. If NWR wants to hire you to teach his guides thats great but once you advertise to the rest of the world your breaking the law and that not only sucks but it makes the locals angry.
Thanks for your consideration
JOHN WEINMEISTER
Chill Your Jets Dude!
The feud is in your own head!
Your making yourself look like an irate idiot.
Don't include other New Mexico SW Instructors, NM Outfitters, NM River Guides, NM Kayakers, the BLM or ME in your hissy fit.
Get your facts straight before jumping to conclusions.
As they said in Dragnet
........The facts Mam, nothing but the facts
I suggest some sort of anger management class for you.
I'm local & I'm not angry.
Runny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013   #14

Student
really?

Nick and Downstream Edge were invited to NM to teach a Kayak specific SWR class. All the proper channels were approached and approved.
The Flaming was inappropriate and could have been dealt with in a much smoother manner via a phone call or email. John owes Nick and company an apology.
If you haven't taken a SWR kayak class from Nick, do it. It is worth every penny. Cheers and SYOTR, Atom...
atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013   #15

In the event that this course fills up, I will be available to teach a genuine pirate SWR class. I will go over a myriad of topics including, but not limited to: Reading Water With an Eye Patch, Getting the Most Out of Your Parrot as Scout, River Booty Recovery, and Advanced Hook and Rope Techniques. The course will be taught on the Pilaaaaaargh section of the Rio Grande and cost is eighty Pieces of Eight or one gold doubloon. I hope to see you there!
Old 04-22-2013   #16

Mad Scientist/Creeker
Deep Stroke - Classic!

Atom - thank you for jumping in here, looking forward to some New Mexico time!

And finally, I'm floored that no one has keyed into this guys last name yet... seriously - Weinmeister! Can someone please give me the proper pronunciation on that one.
Old 04-23-2013   #17

Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
And so it begins...

I hope you guys (Nick and Evan) have a full class of willing students. I taught a SWR class in 2011 down there, (for a smaller licensed outfitter) and caught a lot of grief for it from some of the larger outfitters. I agree with you both that options are a good thing in this industry, it keeps the game alive!
DoubleYouEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013   #18

Taos, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1989
And so I guess I'll chime in here too, though I'm not sure what's up honestly. Why New Wave wouldn't call UNC is beyond me...

NWR can obviously do as they please, as can DSE, though professional consideration would be...professional. Nick and Co. look like they offer a good product regardless.

My only concern, Nick, is that if NWR hired you to teach rescue, why would it be kayak specific? Unless of course they're going to take home some of the money for themselves thinking it's gonna be a BIG ONE.

If DSE is certifying NWR rafting guides in SWR as a means of maintaining training certs for trip leaders, I'd be bummed. I'm not sure if the local BLM endorses a 2-day kayak specific SWR course as adequate or not for commercial trip leaders on class IV waters (if they do they probably shouldn't). But as a guide/instructor/user of 20+years I just want to know that we're all on the same page(at least chapter) when the shit hits the fan out there.

I'm all for training regardless of how it goes down or who teaches it, and I'd love to come check these guys out in action, they have great recommendations. BUT at this point I'm unconvinced that any 2-day course is simply able to cover the plethora of material/s that need/should be covered (IMHO) in a SWR course regardless of specifics (another reason I'd love to shadow). Just for the record, I've only taught SWR courses for a decade now, and trained in the discipline with the late Jim Segerstrom of RESCUE3 originally and then SRG/IRIA.

Anyway I like a family man (nice photos Nick). I'll come down to at least say hi if nothing else this coming weekend, looking forward to meeting you.

By the way, We're also teaching a class that next week (MAY 3-5) through Far Flung/ Rescue Southwest. Though it's 3-days long and a little more $, I strongly believe it's a great value and well worth it. We welcome all boaters regardless of craft or skill levels.

-Harvey

"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through pastoral valleys tinkling with bells, past temples and castles and poets' towers into a dark primeval forest where tigers belch and monkeys howl, through miasmal and mysterious swamps and down into a desert of red rock, blue mesas, domes and pinnacles and grottos of endless stone, and down again into a deep vast ancient unknown chasm where bars of sunlight blaze on profiled cliffs, where deer walk across the white sand beaches, where storms come and go as lightning clangs upon the high crags, where something strange and more beautiful and more full of wonder than your deepest dreams waits for you --- beyond that next turning of the canyon walls."
Edward Abbey
Riverology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013   #19

Taos, New Mexico
Federal regulations/ commercial permiting protect most, if not al,l outfitters/ guides/ instructors. Pirate = no commercial permit. Big deal? Yeah kinda. There's less water, less money and just plain less pie to go around.
Old 04-23-2013   #20

Taos, New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by N. Wigston View Post
sorry, I didn't realize we couldn't have rafters in the class. Kayakers only.

Nick
I vote yes on rafters Nick, If nothing else the rafters would hopefully figure out why the hell they end up carrying all the beer (though it might be hard for them with only 2-days to work on it).

Don't get all mad...I'm just a dirtbag rafter too everyone. I just already know why I carry all the beer!