Old 03-23-2012   #21
gh

pnw, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster View Post
Well maybe he will drop the soap in prison.
The thief wont do prison time unless he was high on crack and used a gun and this is the 10th offense. Jail time only.

Old 03-23-2012   #22

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Karma may very well be an invisible force, but I can certainly buy into that a whole lot more than God, the Devil, Heaven and Hell. Call it what you want. The Golden Rule lives on.

SBarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012   #23

Farmington, Utah
Paddling Since: 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBarn View Post
Karma may very well be an invisible force, but I can certainly buy into that a whole lot more than God, the Devil, Heaven and Hell. Call it what you want. The Golden Rule lives on.
Theres no difference between buying into either. I for one subscribe only to His Noodleness The Flying Spaghetti Monster Himself. For he rains blessings upon the earth. *(Sarcasm)*
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012   #24

Quote:
River karma is funny to joke about, but over all a crock.
River karma is the only thing I believe in.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012   #25

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianK View Post
River karma is the only thing I believe in.
I'm going to play devil's advocate and ask - is river karma the only thing that keeps you from stealing gear? I'm not attacking I just want to know how you think/feel about river karma and morals.
Old 03-24-2012   #26

montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Theres no difference between buying into either. I for one subscribe only to His Noodleness The Flying Spaghetti Monster Himself. For he rains blessings upon the earth. *(Sarcasm)*
If you steal, he will smite you down with His Noodly Appendage.

I think if you do something wrong, then somewhere in your conscious or subconscious you will feel regret and shame. Those feelings can cause you problems in life and effect your mental state, which can cause you to make poor decisions ect.. Therefore I think "karma" could be a self fulfilling prophecy for some people.
mikepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012   #27
Kayak/SUP Instructor

The High Ground, Colorado
Nature or nurture but most of us desire to live with a clean conscience and believe that some form of judgement awaits us for our crimes. I believe with few exceptions it is born into the heart of man and that some day all accounts will be settled.

Hope your gear turns up soon 4Corners and we'll keep an eye out.

My 2 cents.
Old 03-24-2012   #28

Farmington, Utah
Paddling Since: 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepart View Post
If you steal, he will smite you down with His Noodly Appendage.

I think if you do something wrong, then somewhere in your conscious or subconscious you will feel regret and shame. Those feelings can cause you problems in life and effect your mental state, which can cause you to make poor decisions ect.. Therefore I think "karma" could be a self fulfilling prophecy for some people.
The thing is you have to feel you are doing wrong to feel regret, and many thieves don't feel they are doing wrong. Most only regret it after they are caught never before.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012   #29
Cpt. No Scout

In a Van, Down By the River
Paddling Since: 91
Quote:
The thing is you have to feel you are doing wrong to feel regret, and many thieves don't feel they are doing wrong. Most only regret it after they are caught never before.
well said. Some cultures believe that if something got stollen from you, its your fault because you were not taking care of your stuff and the thief will take better care of it. (a larger percentage of earth population believes this way than our culture does.)

Also karma implies that the person who got ripped off did something to diserve it in the past.

Western culture has a lot to learn about karma. Indian culture is much different than ours and using Indian principles is very tricky..
idahofloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012   #30

Lake City, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
This is why there are so many river regs. The boating community is full of idiots. NICE life having karma keeping you doing the right thing. Have fun finding a river in hell.

doughboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4corners