Old 11-29-2015   #31
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcia.galili View Post
Not for nothing, but the deal with pro pricing in every industry I've ever worked in (whitewater included) is that you keep your mouth shut about it, and that you certainly don't ask a manufacturer to post their pro pricing in a public forum. No one likes to be a sucker, and spewing about the specials deals you're getting can undercut retailers' and manufacturers' ability to sell to full-paying customers. By all means, ask about pro pricing; just do it privately. Not trying to bust anyone's balls, just sharing my experience from a dozen years in various parts of the outdoor world.

-Daniel
RMR advertised discounts for guides on this forum. So does Hyside. Everybody knows NRS discounts for outfitters and guides and nobody ever asked me to keep my mouth shut about it - they just offered me a discount. I generally don't flaunt this, but the topic came up and I'm considering purchasing the product.

I'm not trying to argue with what you're suggesting is the appropriate etiquette for pro pricing, it's just that in nearly 20 years of industry deals nobody ever told me it was a secret - and I've had a lot of deals set up. The manufacturer usually is stoked to get a sale at wholesale and have their gear seen in the hands of a professional at the same time.

Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015   #32

Putney, Vermont
Paddling Since: 2009
And I'm not trying to call you or anyone else out, although I know I'm probably making it look like I am. It's just that when some asks
Quote:
What percent discount is offered to guides? Bueller?
they're kind of blowing up the retailers' and manufacturers' spot. If the point of pro deals is that we're reping the product to our clients then we should also make sure to point them to the proper channels for purchase and not make them feel like suckers for buying gear at retail. If that's not what we're doing, what's the incentive for the manufacturers to keep kicking us deals? To be honest, I really feel like a hypocrite for talking so much about this in an open forum, so I think I'll bow out here.
-Daniel

garcia.galili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015   #33

Steamboat, Colorado
I bought my Storm in a retail store. They let us demo it a couple times (it was brand new, we pulled it out of the box it was shipped in) and we loved it, so we bought it.
I certainly don't feel like a "sucker" or like I deserve a discount. I'm stoked I got to try it before I bought it. I'm also stoked my business helps keep the small guys in business so that I have opportunities such as this to try out new gear.
PS, you guys and your bragging rights.... it cracks me up. Silly rafters.
Old 11-30-2015   #34

Buffalo, New York
Paddling Since: 2003
No ego involved with getting pro deals. As I previously mentioned, being a broke ass guide and perpetual college student throughout my 20's and into my 30's, pro deals have helped me significantly to take boating from a job into a Hobbie. I can respect where your coming from suggesting that where you come from, it's not proper etiquette to ask what percent of a discount is offered to guides, but where I am coming from is that they're is a lot of competition out there, and If I am interested in making a purchase, I do my homework, and cost factors into that. Furthermore, my experience with guiding and pro deals is that when you work on commercialized rivers, dealers want you to be an advocate and advertise their products to your clients. If you've guided then you know that people ask, what sandals are those, what kind of shades do you where, what kind of boat do you own. That's all. Thanks for not being a dick about it, and for Bowing out. Finally graduated, have a 9-5, and continue to guide, but having kids is expensive, so pro deals still help. Also, as mentioned earlier, RMR promoted their guide discount on another buzz thread, so the secret was already out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
amv48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015   #35

Canto, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2015
I own 2 RMR products, The Storm and The IK, I love them, can't wait to buy a cat from them.. Great product the Storm really handles good in whitewater R-2, just built a oar frame for it.
PS I do work for a rafting company and I got a GREAT DEAL.... Fantastic

Droneographer is offline   Reply With Quote