Old 11-27-2015   #21
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
What I like is when people come to the place where I work to glean free information from us and then buy what they want or need online and install it themselves. They know we have valuable knowledge that they feel entitled to for no cost to them, only to shop the best deal online. Not the only industry facing this issue. I value being able to go to a storefront and make a purchase on stuff like boats and equipment. Supporting those businesses is important. Could you imagine if there were no physical storefronts to check out rafts and related gear? I have always admired AIRE for the way they do business. From my point of view they only sell boats through dealers, and they are tight on pricing. There isn't a wide range on price points throughout the country, I think that makes it more fair for the customer and the dealers. Especially internet dealers, they don't really get an advantage over brick and mortar dealers. In my line of work, we have suppliers try and and cut us out of the supply line and direct sell to the customers that we service.

Old 11-28-2015   #22
Misspellingintothefuture!

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Learch makes a very good point.
Maybe a good rule of thumb hear is treat people the way you want them to treat you, don't take advantage of the pro deals and they will stick around, don't use your local raft shop as just a place to go look at gear and then get it on amazon.
If they are a quality shop that is helping you out, has good costumer service, knows what there talking about, then spend a few bucks.
Some times part of what you are buying with anything is service and support.

Of course some times it just makes sense to order some stuff online, i wore the same ski boot model for 10 years, so it just made sense to pro deal it and not waste my money paying extra in a shop, i wore those boots out of the box without even needing to adjust the canting. I didn't waste a boot fitters time trying on 10 pairs of boots either.

Some shops are crappy, don't waste your time and money, some are awesome, treat them with the same courtesy and respect they showed to you, and you'll still have them.
Basically don't be an ass hole.

Old 11-28-2015   #23
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I'll go to CKS to try on new PFDs this spring. I won't buy the PFD there, I'll buy it wholesale through the manufacturer or NRS. I will bring a six pack for the staff and tell them what I'm doing in advance. I'll also make a small purchase while there. I did this last time I got fitted for a new Mountain Bike and the shop owner was stoked.

It sucks when people "showroom" the local gear shop to buy at pro prices, but if you call Astral, Kokatat, etc. they will tell you to go to one of their dealers for a fitting (especially since there are often no returns or exchanges on pro-price). The key is to be up front, to not get in the way of actual customers, and to make it worth their while.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015   #24

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
This is a big issue with local bike stores too. I buy 90 percent of my Mt bike stuff at my shop. End result I save money as I end up with a better product that fits and functions correctly. There have also been sometimes that the store has really come through for me way beyond in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015   #25

NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 68
no one calls NRS and says how about taking 2500 for that new raft. Blows me away ,pay the corporations full tilt without blinking an eye when they have an outrageous markup and build nothing and then beat up the mom and pops shops[/QUOTE]

And therein lies the problem. Just because the price is listed doesn't mean that "is the price". The list price is a starting point and contains an embedded margin. Go ahead and beat down the N brand retailer........ They can afford to sell boats for 25-35 percent less than that offered
Somebody is going take your money. However, don't give it away unless they work for it.
garyherballeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015   #26

NOCO, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Learch View Post
What I like is when people come to the place where I work to glean free information from us and then buy what they want or need online and install it themselves. They know we have valuable knowledge that they feel entitled to for no cost to them, only to shop the best deal online. Not the only industry facing this issue. I value being able to go to a storefront and make a purchase on stuff like boats and equipment. Supporting those businesses is important. .
The only important thing is supporting USA craftsman oriented businesses. If a USA business sells foreign sh_t, lets put them under.
Old 11-29-2015   #27
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Here we go again. It's five in the morning and Gary is drunk and sputtering more jibberish...
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015   #28

NOCO, Colorado
Commie Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post
Here we go again. It's five in the morning and Gary is drunk and sputtering more jibberish...
Oh your just a Commie Lover
Old 11-29-2015   #29

Putney, Vermont
Paddling Since: 2009
Not for nothing, but the deal with pro pricing in every industry I've ever worked in (whitewater included) is that you keep your mouth shut about it, and that you certainly don't ask a manufacturer to post their pro pricing in a public forum. No one likes to be a sucker, and spewing about the specials deals you're getting can undercut retailers' and manufacturers' ability to sell to full-paying customers. By all means, ask about pro pricing; just do it privately. Not trying to bust anyone's balls, just sharing my experience from a dozen years in various parts of the outdoor world.

-Daniel
garcia.galili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015   #30
swimming

Coastal, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1987
Yup +1. ^^

Maxxon had a similar go round at one time, the dealers would stock up everyone would be claiming they made the tubes in all these small fishing cats and old mean gene would be selling them out the back doors to Joe public and slashing the dealers right in the back. Didn't take long before they lost value in their brand because of price wars. Now I know it's maxxon but they actually do make a pretty decent set of tubes for the price other than being from China and all lol. Something to keep in mind RMR I firmly believe in setting strict pricing structure or you will end up with people slumming your gear and it is already a great value for what you get,there is no reason for anyone to have to discount your products that is current years stock for any reason.

GreenWall is offline   Reply With Quote