Old 11-26-2015   #11

NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post
Almost as cute as a gapers from Arkansas chiming in.

I just want RMR and the mom and pop shops that sponsor the buzz to continue to do so. I shop at DRE, RBR, TBP, et al. because they are awesome! Just because you can order everything online now doesn't mean you should!
I as well. All long as the corporate warehouse outlets keep their distance.

garyherballeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015   #12

New River Gorge, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 1985
$1299!!

profishwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015   #13

Buffalo, New York
Paddling Since: 2003
What percent discount is offered to guides? Bueller?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
amv48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015   #14
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by amv48 View Post
What percent discount is offered to guides? Bueller?

That's what I was wondering. Any deal for pros?
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015   #15
swimming

Coastal, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1987
Always with the Guide pricing, that should really only apply to company owners who buy multiple boats at once. Everyone is a guide and then they give their buddy's all their deals it is a way abused system
GreenWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015   #16

Nye, Montana
Paddling Since: 2012
With all of the information on sites like the mountain buzz why does someone need a "showroom" to look at rafts? We can see and sometimes use anything on the river.

I'd rather talk to people on a forum, or better yet on the river (and perhaps even use the stuff) than to believe the typical sleazy salesmen.

I buy my archery equipment from a local dealer usually, unless they can't get even close to eagle archery pricing, same goes for river equipment. It's OK to support local if the pricing is +10-15 % usually for me, but anything over that and I'll gamble on the online outfits. The locals have to pay for commercial real estate and utilities but if they can't compete, then they can't compete.
The free market is a beatiful thing.
Mattchu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015   #17

Nye, Montana
Paddling Since: 2012
As far as Chinese shit goes, sometimes it gets people into the sport that would otherwise have not. If I would have had to pay $5000+ for a bare Raft when starting out, i would have never done it. Now that I'm in love with it I'm willing to drop coin on the quality stuff.

It all works out in the end.

For a company such as Saturn, maxxon, and possibly rmr(I hear there stuff is better) it might make economic sense to keep prices as low as possible to get new users (as in direct to consumer), then when said consumer realizes just how awesome the "sport" is they can decide if, when, where to buy more expensive and debatably better gear. The average boater probably runs class ii or iii ( like me), so really a sevylor would do.
Mattchu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015   #18
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWall View Post
Always with the Guide pricing, that should really only apply to company owners who buy multiple boats at once. Everyone is a guide and then they give their buddy's all their deals it is a way abused system
Sorry you're not a pro. You probably make enough money from deposits on orders you don't fill to afford whatever you want at retail.

I've been a river guide and outdoor professional for more than a dozen years. I survive on the poverty line and influence others with the expertise I've developed over 10,000+ miles. I'm not here to say I deserve anything special, but I'm grateful that my boat, pfd, sunglasses, etc. are discounted by manufacturers and retailers. I try to reciprocate by publicly heralding the good stuff (search Aire Force and see how much I've advertised a product that I received a small discount on).

Pro deal has been around for a while. The manufacturer still makes a sale at wholesale and gets on-river advertising.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015   #19

Buffalo, New York
Paddling Since: 2003
Well said Randaddy. If it weren't for the nrs pro deal, I never would've been able to make my rafting profession, my personal Hobbie and passion. Also living on the poverty line for a decade, I have been able to acquire enough gear over the years to share boating opportunities with family.

Back to the pro deal for RMR. I have been reading previous threads on the storm, and saw a post from a rep that read, "we offer generous discounts to guides," to that effect. It did not specify how much the discount was. That's what I am inquiring here.

amv48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015   #20
swimming

Coastal, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post
Sorry you're not a pro. You probably make enough money from deposits on orders you don't fill to afford whatever you want at retail.

I've been a river guide and outdoor professional for more than a dozen years. I survive on the poverty line and influence others with the expertise I've developed over 10,000+ miles. I'm not here to say I deserve anything special, but I'm grateful that my boat, pfd, sunglasses, etc. are discounted by manufacturers and retailers. I try to reciprocate by publicly heralding the good stuff (search Aire Force and see how much I've advertised a product that I received a small discount on).

Pro deal has been around for a while. The manufacturer still makes a sale at wholesale and gets on-river advertising.
Actually I am an OEM manufacturer so I get pretty much anything I want, I don't abuse the privellage. I have seen at the Tieton someone offering his NRS preseason deal to everyone to build his order. This basically screws all the dealers who are ordering and keeping stock. As for Mattchu statement there are very few sleazy boat shops. Stores help out people quite a bit by having the ability to let people come and get fitted properly or see the equipment before buying store staff can be a great help when they know what they are doing. I see more bad advice on the Internet forums floating around than anywhere. There are some good boaters out here who know how to set stuff up and there are a lot that only have experience with what someone told them to buy online and give poor advice to the next person to bump along and want a raft.

I row everything I can get my hands on, I have to or I can't make a better product or stay ahead of the curve. A lot of what I have made is out of necessity because no one made anything that compared in performance or quality so I built it for me. That's why most everything in my new river store is made by us.

As far as RMR I think it is a great value boat for what you get and am pretty excited to do some tricked out Storm packages coming up. One thing to keep in mind is you can shop or skimp to get a discount on the raft, then you go looking for a frame and all the little pieces and pay as much for a piece together fitting frame with poor quality oars as you could have got a one of a kind hand crafted frame package with Drybox and quality components when we do package pricing. I see it everyday someone drags in a boat and says I got a great deal on this and then they find out we could have got them a new one with better stuff for less.
Sometimes you can learn a lot more by actually talking with those who build the stuff to see what the differences are. We literally do things use methods and use materials that no one has any idea about in the whitewater industry so the out the door product is far superior. That came from years of testing building and running the shit out of stuff on the river and a lot of training in other industries including aerospace and weapon development.

I still boat with a lot of people who have galvanized frames covered in wood from the early 80's that love their boat and will never change. Get what makes ya happy and works for your style of boating,screw what everyone thinks is cool.

Frame manufacturers don't make a lot of money so they count on selling a boat or accessories once in a while with it to make it, if you go around and take all the money out of the extras,the raft , the oars and then come to me for a frame we most likely won't do it and recommend you go get guide pricing on one somewhere I bet there are very few of you who would say ok if your boss came and said hey will you work for half your wage this week, people don't go to the grocery store and say" I will give 1.00 for that gallon of milk" no one calls NRS and says how about taking 2500 for that new raft. Blows me away ,pay the corporations full tilt without blinking an eye when they have an outrageous markup and build nothing and then beat up the mom and pops shops

GreenWall is offline   Reply With Quote