Old 04-24-2013   #41

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1992
A boating buddy just picked up one of the 150s and brought it along on a recent trip. The cooler itself is pretty solid looking, and I really like the dimensions on it. The granite texture is pretty cool too. But, the rubber latches and the nub they latch to are attached with rivets that are just too loose, allow a lot of play in both the latch and the attachment nub. One of rivets holding the nubs to the cooler broke off on the first trip, and it is pretty clear that the others will follow suit pretty quickly. A through-bolt of some sort looks like it would solve the problem, but this is a weekness in the current design that needs to be addressed. Otherwise, this looks like a good product and a good value. The hinges are absolutely bomber.

Old 04-24-2013   #42

Belfair, Washington
Paddling Since: 93
We will take care of this!

Have the owner of the cooler get a hold of us ASAP. We will take care of this! This is the first one we have heard of the rivets failing. Our manufacture has been using this system in Australia and Europe without issues; we do have a plan to change the attachment if needed. We do stand behind our coolers and will take care of this and move forward with changing the attachments if we hear of any further problems. I’ll be taking several coolers to the Grand Canyon next week for a “three week test”
Any problems get a hold of us at 360-434-7986
Andy

Black Rock Coolers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013   #43

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1992
rivets

Will-do Andy. I'll just send him a link to this thread. I really like the way you have sized the 150 to fit within the 40" width of most 14' rafts. For some reason, none of the other manufacturers seemed to have figured out that 40" width is kind of a key dimension for very large number of rafts out there on the river, so kudos to you guys on getting that one right!
Old 04-28-2013   #44

Bailey, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by moetown View Post
150 Quart Outfitter in Granite [CC150X_GR] - $389.99 : Premium Coolers, Canyon Coolers

Super Secret Coupon code for Buzzards only:

Outfitter13 is a 20% off coupon

Shhhhhh, Don't tell Canyon I told you that code!

Without Cold Beer, nothing else matters in the world

Ben Franklin
Discount code has expired
Beeks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013   #45

Belfair, Washington
Throwing away ice at the Pierce Ferry takeout!

We had ice for drinks every night during the trip and at the end of our 278 mile Grand Canyon trip we had to use a hammer to break the remaining ice free at the take out and throw at least 50lbs of ice in the river. We could not be happier with the ice retention in our Black Rock Coolers!
Old 06-08-2013   #46
The Old Troll

Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Test Report 150 qt. Black Rock Cooler

16 days in the ditch and two days of travel and there was ice at Diamond. The cooler was frozen solid in a walk in freezer to within 2 or 3 inches of the lid. Food was frozen into the ice. The plan was that this cooler would hold the last of the perishable food. As the other coolers played out food was transferred into the Black Rock Cooler. Latches and hinge showed no sign of ware.

The thing to look at when buying a quality cooler for most boaters are the dimensions. If it doesn't fit the bay on your frame then buy another of the top brands. The Black Rock made a fine seat for a cat. For my raft the Engel was a better fit than a Yeti or a Black Rock.

If you are packing your own coolers for a Grand trip a walk in freezer will make a huge difference. Freezing food into the ice can be inconvenient and at one time we had to use a sand stake and a hammer to get food out of the ice on several coolers but it was worth it. Don't freeze as much ice into the coolers that you are using first and transfer the ice into other coolers as you consolidate your food. Some foods that freeze well in the ice are egg beaters, Orange Juice and Wholly Guacamole. I used Tupaware like containers inserted into the ice after the first two inches of ice were frozen into the cooler. They went almost all the way to the top of the ice when capped. Raw meat was put into freezer bags and stuffed tightly into the containers to freeze with out air voids. Pieces of foam were cut to the shape of the containers and followed the top of the meat down the tubes. Dry Ice on the top of the ice would give you ice after 22 days if your trip was longer.
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013   #47

Belfair, Washington
Glad you had a great trip down the Grand, and ice at the takeout! next time break out a little more ice for drinks along the way.
Andy
Old 06-14-2013   #48
The Old Troll

Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
The comercial guys threw us some ice and we had cocktails for three nights. I should add that 22 days after the cooler was put into action and after we were all home we pull two leftover NY Sirloins out and had them for diner.
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013   #49

Belfair, Washington
Just finished a Main Salmon trip 100F+ temps. We started with about 5-6" of ice frozen in the bottom of the 150L the rest of the cooler was stuffed with frozen food and one bag of crushed ice filling void spaces. We left home June 24th was in and out of the cooler every day. We got back home on July 2nd cleaned out the left over food and still had about 4-5" of ice even after chipping out ice for drinks near the end of the trip. This morning July 5th there still is some ice sitting in the bottom of the empty cooler. 15 days later!
Old 07-19-2013   #50

Hi Darren,

Wanted to let you know that we used our Black Rock Cooler for the first time a month ago on the Lower San Juan River, from Mexican Hat to Clay Hills, a 4 day, 3 night trip.

We had 2 of the regular size bags of ice that were blocks, not crushed in the cooler. We made the entire trip got home and due to things that needed immediate attention the cooler sat out in the sun for 3 days following the trip. Not my usual practice with equipment.

When I went to clean and store the cooler the 2 block bags of ice were still 1/3 ice. Pretty amazing for 6 days, in heat and sun.

Hope you are well.

Jerry
Jerry Jackson

FrontierPlay is offline   Reply With Quote