Old 03-28-2014   #1

Kernville, California
Paddling Since: 1975
HYSIDE Survey/Feedback on Camstraps

Hey All,

Looking for your feedback!

We are in the process of sourcing out cam straps. We currently stock polypro cam straps, at a similar price to what you might find from NRS or AIRE.

We'd like to upgrade to Polyester straps, not only for marketing purposes, but for overall strength, abrasion resistance and turnaround time for production.

Here's a comparison of the two:

Polypro Polyester

900 lb test 2500 lb test

.060 thick .070 thick

will fade / does not fade

affected by chlorine, acids, oils / chemically resistant across the board

minor stretch (very minor) / no discernible stretch

good abrasion resistance / much better abrasion resistance

Avg cost for 6 ft strap: $5 ... Avg cost for 6 ft strap: $6
Avg cost for 15 ft strap: $7 ... Avg cost for 15 ft strap: $11

The other bonuses for going with Polyester straps are mainly for us...quicker turnaround, less minimum orders and our branding would be specific in our color scheme and logo font (see attached pic). Note that either way, the straps are made and assembled in the USA.

SO the questions are:

1. Would you guys pay more for a better strap, or are you happy with what's currently out there (polypro)?

2. And more precisely, for all you HYSIDE fans, would it be worth it to have the iconic orange straps on a more durable polyester strap for more $$ or stick with polypro at a stock blue or black with block font?

Thanks for any feedback and helping us make our decision!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Image.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	7975  

Hyside Inflatables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014   #2

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I think the orange and blue Hyside straps are cool......but them I'm a girl, and like to accessorize.
I just bought a bunch for polyester straps, so I'll see how they hold up this summer. The polypro do get rough and stiff over time. They wreak havoc on my hands and fingers.

Old 03-28-2014   #3

Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
SO the questions are:

1. Would you guys pay more for a better strap, or are you happy with what's currently out there (polypro)?

I am happy with what is out there. Never had any issues with any straps under "normal" uses. I even like when they wear in a little bit. But I am sure I'd buy one to try it out. But odds are I would lose it or someone would go home with it. So, I'd hate to spend more.

2. And more precisely, for all you HYSIDE fans, would it be worth it to have the iconic orange straps on a more durable polyester strap for more $$ or stick with polypro at a stock blue or black with block font?

I think orange would limit your market! Blue seems to go with more boats. I have never been a fan of black anything. It just seems to get too hot in the summer months.
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014   #4

Kernville, California
Thanks

Thanks for the feedback! Keep it coming!
Old 03-28-2014   #5
swimming

Tacoma,Wa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1994
Straps

I have all kinds of straps, mostly river booty. I use whatever on my junk boats. My custom boat I have the high end straps. Much smoother,softer and a better feel and a super tight weave. The Canyon straps came with my new boat package and at a 8.00 each replacement cost I wouldn't buy them, I think they are only available with a boat package. But they color match every strap to the exact powder coat color on a new boat package, that's kinda cool on something custom, a nice finishing touch.

I think those straps with a new blue frame on a NEO Black Mini ,Yes!

So bottom line I will take them if included but buy them, at least 65.00 for a set of straps, Nope
Click image for larger version

Name:	straps.gif
Views:	137
Size:	245.1 KB
ID:	7977
orto11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014   #6

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
I have blue NRS straps that still have integrity after over 25 years of use. The custom strap works straps I got a few years back all but disintegrated in less than 5 years. I'll continue to purchase the NRS straps.
DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014   #7

Kernville, California
Thumbs up

Thanks guys! So far the general consensus is that the NRS type polypro is doing the trick. And blue would be the best color to suit "most".

Please respond if you agree and who might have any varying opinions!

Thanks again.
Old 03-28-2014   #8

B.V., Colorado
Not in the questions but...
What is the availability/pricing/quantity needed for custom names on straps. I would bet the difference is close to the price of replacing mistakenly taken straps at the end of river trips each year. I've tried marker/paint/etc. But having my name/number imprinted on them would be more obvious to the dirtbags I boat with....no offense crew
Old 03-28-2014   #9

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose View Post
Not in the questions but...What is the availability/pricing/quantity needed for custom names on straps
The place that makes straps for me has a minimum of 5000 ft for custom weaving. The material is about $0.10/ft.
Old 03-28-2014   #10

Kernville, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadeinthewater View Post
The place that makes straps for me has a minimum of 5000 ft for custom weaving. The material is about $0.10/ft.
+1, it's alot. So much so, that we're even debating whether or not to add the "2ft" "3ft" to each size, because it's a new minimum each change. Less of a minimum if we go with polyester though...